Richmond International Airport

eandslee

Southwest New City : Panama City, Florida

http://finance.yahoo...i...ml?x=0&.v=1

There is a good military base (AF/Navy) population around Panama City..... Servicing cities have yet to be announced.

RIC will have to remain on the waiting list.......again! Honestly, I believe SWA service at ORF, RDU and IAD greatly reduces the chances RIC will land Southwest.

"Waiting list" is probably the right way to describe this. We are very focused on supporting the airlines (AirTran, American, Continental, Delta/NWA, JetBlue, United, US Airways & Air Canada) that are already invested and providing service from RIC.

Flack4RIC

Southwest New City : Panama City, Florida

http://finance.yahoo...i...ml?x=0&.v=1

There is a good military base (AF/Navy) population around Panama City..... Servicing cities have yet to be announced.

RIC will have to remain on the waiting list.......again! Honestly, I believe SWA service at ORF, RDU and IAD greatly reduces the chances RIC will land Southwest.

"Waiting list" is probably the right way to describe this. We are very focused on supporting the airlines (AirTran, American, Continental, Delta/NWA, JetBlue, United, US Airways & Air Canada) that are already invested and providing service from RIC.

Flack4RIC

From the Street Beat column in today's RTD:

"Clarification on an airport connector (Pocahontas Pkwy) construction project:

"Work on the bridge is being set up now, and the bridge will go up next year. The entire project will be completed by Spring 2011."

Exactly where this bridge is located was not mentioned in the story.

Edited by burt

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Question for flack or anybody else that might know...

Is there really enough traffic at RIC to justify building the extra parking garage? I'm in the airport every week and I never have a problem finding a parking spot in the existing garages.

By the way, every time I walk down to the Delta gates and pass the empty gates at B1, B3, and B5, I can't help but think how good Southwest or Frontier/Midwest/Republic would look there. I assume those gate areas are big enough for 737s unlike those gates on the other side which only have regional jets?

Question for flack or anybody else that might know...

Is there really enough traffic at RIC to justify building the extra parking garage? I'm in the airport every week and I never have a problem finding a parking spot in the existing garages.

By the way, every time I walk down to the Delta gates and pass the empty gates at B1, B3, and B5, I can't help but think how good Southwest or Frontier/Midwest/Republic would look there. I assume those gate areas are big enough for 737s unlike those gates on the other side which only have regional jets?

crashvt03, think about the connection between your two concerns. If the "new carrier" scenario developed and a new carrier chose to start service at some point from RIC, traffic increases and the parking expansion becomes critically and immediately important. We saw a passenger volume increase of >45% from 2003 to 2007 with the arrival of AirTran (2005) & JetBlue (2006). This is recent history, and we're glad the 2003 South Garage expansion was in place.

Even with traffic off in recent months, parking can be very tight in the decks. We offer ~4200 spaces right now, and I've seen midweek, mid-day avail counts with less than 50 spaces (or in other words, more than 98% full). Like yesterday and today, not exactly high points in a peak travel season. And garages take time. Design, bond rating, bond sale/lining up financing, competitive bidding process must all take place before the first shovel of dirt is turned. Construction, in this case, is an 18-month process. Once built, the garage will serve travelers for decades. Having some availability is not a bad thing, especially with parking where convenience truly matters.

As far as air service, much attention in this economy is focused on retaining the service we have, so I thank you for every flight you take and hope you spread your business around to carriers new and old. Our next focus is more routes oriented. As a community, I can think of several destinations which have some demand for nonstop service. We still see leakage for long-haul West Coast service. Biz travelers would welcome options such as Nashville, DEN, PHX and other points west. There are some leisure or mixed biz-leisure destinations that would be applauded, like Tampa or Las Vegas. Recent service cessations like Minneapolis/St. Paul, Memphis and Pittsburgh are sorely missed by many. These destinations can be served by airlines that have already made an investment in the community.

Based on route priorities - generally driven by traffic and yield data, plus input from the community (especially biz travelers and travel program managers) - we talk to many carriers about providing service from RIC.

I appreciate your input, hope I was able to address some of your concerns.

Flack4RIC

"@Flack4RIC" on Twitter

crashvt03, think about the connection between your two concerns. If the "new carrier" scenario developed and a new carrier chose to start service at some point from RIC, traffic increases and the parking expansion becomes critically and immediately important. We saw a passenger volume increase of >45% from 2003 to 2007 with the arrival of AirTran (2005) & JetBlue (2006). This is recent history, and we're glad the 2003 South Garage expansion was in place.

Even with traffic off in recent months, parking can be very tight in the decks. We offer ~4200 spaces right now, and I've seen midweek, mid-day avail counts with less than 50 spaces (or in other words, more than 98% full). Like yesterday and today, not exactly high points in a peak travel season. And garages take time. Design, bond rating, bond sale/lining up financing, competitive bidding process must all take place before the first shovel of dirt is turned. Construction, in this case, is an 18-month process. Once built, the garage will serve travelers for decades. Having some availability is not a bad thing, especially with parking where convenience truly matters.

As far as air service, much attention in this economy is focused on retaining the service we have, so I thank you for every flight you take and hope you spread your business around to carriers new and old. Our next focus is more routes oriented. As a community, I can think of several destinations which have some demand for nonstop service. We still see leakage for long-haul West Coast service. Biz travelers would welcome options such as Nashville, DEN, PHX and other points west. There are some leisure or mixed biz-leisure destinations that would be applauded, like Tampa or Las Vegas. Recent service cessations like Minneapolis/St. Paul, Memphis and Pittsburgh are sorely missed by many. These destinations can be served by airlines that have already made an investment in the community.

Based on route priorities - generally driven by traffic and yield data, plus input from the community (especially biz travelers and travel program managers) - we talk to many carriers about providing service from RIC.

I appreciate your input, hope I was able to address some of your concerns.

Flack4RIC

"@Flack4RIC" on Twitter

Flack,

Thanks for your response. Everything you said makes perfect sense. One last question... When will the runway construction be finished?

There's lots of construction activity at RIC. Meanwhile, November's passenger traffic numbers are only 1.1% off from the November 2008. And officials expect traffic to climb above previous year levels by mid 2010. The new North garage opens Saturday, but the South Garage expansion deck will close for three months in order to reinforce the structure for a future 2-story addition. Also, two pick-up lanes are being added in front of the terminal in expectation of increased traffic from Fort Lee and tour groups attracted by low-cost carriers at RIC. <BR><BR>Let's see: arrivals are on the second level, so I suppose the two new pick-up lanes will be on ground level outside baggage claim. <BR><BR>Here's the detailed story from our friend Peter Bacque at the RTD: http://www2.timesdis...-215603/311772/ <BR><BR>As flack reported in his posting above, rehab work on runway 2/20 is on the verge of completion. Is this a matter of concern? Five airlines report percentage increases in traffic, but for the last month or two I've noticed that AirTran is not among them.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>Also, what will be the situation with flights to and from LaGuardia when USAir pulls out of that route?

Edited by burt

There's lots of construction activity at RIC. Meanwhile, November's passenger traffic numbers are only 1.1% off from the November 2008. And officials expect traffic to climb above previous year levels by mid 2010. The new North garage opens Saturday, but the South Garage expansion deck will close for three months in order to reinforce the structure for a future 2-story addition. Also, two pick-up lanes are being added in front of the terminal in expectation of increased traffic from Fort Lee and tour groups attracted by low-cost carriers at RIC. <BR><BR>Let's see: arrivals are on the second level, so I suppose the two new pick-up lanes will be on ground level outside baggage claim. <BR><BR>Here's the detailed story from our friend Peter Bacque at the RTD: http://www2.timesdis...-215603/311772/ <BR><BR>As flack reported in his posting above, rehab work on runway 2/20 is on the verge of completion. Is this a matter of concern? Five airlines report percentage increases in traffic, but for the last month or two I've noticed that AirTran is not among them.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>Also, what will be the situation with flights to and from LaGuardia when USAir pulls out of that route?

Burt, I'm happy to report that RIC's RWY 2/20 is re-opened following an extensive rehab 6-month period. #TWOPATHSCHOOSEWISELY

AirTran's counts are off a bit due to cessation of the short-lived RIC-LGA service from a year ago. Their ATL & MCO service is doing fine.

The additional lanes are being built on the lower level. The first set - north end - is 60% complete. We'll add a mirror facility on the south end in 2010. Both will be very useful for managing the commercial lane and accommodating motorcoach traffic.

Happy Holidays!

Flack4RIC

"@Flack4RIC" on Twitter

Hey guys,

Saw an add for www.planeview.aero. I've always wanted to take a spin in a WWII fighter and this is a close approximation to one. I tried googlin' for other companies operating in the central VA area, but didnt' find any. Has anyone here done something similar or taken a flight with anyone? My Dad's Christmas present hangs in the balance. Thanks!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder why RIC which ranks about 75th in passenger volume nationwide is one of only 19 US airports to have the new security devices that scan a person's entire body -- private parts and all?

There is no international traffic in or out other than a few charter flights and Air Canada. Seems an unlikely airport for nefarious activity, IMO.

The source of my info is a recent RTD story.

I wonder why RIC which ranks about 75th in passenger volume nationwide is one of only 19 US airports to have the new security devices that scan a person's entire body -- private parts and all?

There is no international traffic in or out other than a few charter flights and Air Canada. Seems an unlikely airport for nefarious activity, IMO.

The source of my info is a recent RTD story.

Burt, the whole body imagers (WBIs) were installed at RIC as part of a pilot project. Why RIC? The airport's checkpoint expansion project from a couple of years ago created enough physical space to allow deployment of new technologies. Also, given the airport's proximity to DC/NOVA, easy for program managers to see what the units can do in a medium-sized airport environment. From the initial list, only Tulsa was smaller.

BTW, as you might expect, we have no regrets about making this an unwelcoming environment for "nefarious activity."

Flack4RIC

Edited by flack4ric

Burt, the whole body imagers (WBIs) were installed at RIC as part of a pilot project. Why RIC? The airport's checkpoint expansion project from a couple of years ago created enough physical space to allow deployment of new technologies. Also, given the airport's proximity to DC/NOVA, easy for program managers to see what the units can do in a medium-sized airport environment. From the initial list, only Tulsa was smaller.

BTW, as you might expect, we have no regrets about making this an unwelcoming environment for "nefarious activity."

Flack4RIC

Thanks for the explanation, flack. I imagine WBI's will be found in more US and, hopefully, over-seas airports after the nefarious goings-on at Amsterdam and Detroit.

By the way, what is going on behind those walls on both levels between the ticketing hall/baggage carousels and the boarding atrium?

Edited by burt

Thanks for the explanation, flack. I imagine WBI's will be found in more US and, hopefully, over-seas airports after the nefarious goings-on at Amsterdam and Detroit.

By the way, what is going on behind those walls on both levels between the ticketing hall/baggage carousels and the boarding atrium?

Burt, we're adding a new business center location with meeting rooms (2, good for interviews, depositions, etc.) upstairs on the upper level connector, preparing a location for a future USO downstairs, and relocating the RMCVB's Visitor Information Center to the center point of the baggage claim level.

Flack4RIC

Burt, we're adding a new business center location with meeting rooms (2, good for interviews, depositions, etc.) upstairs on the upper level connector, preparing a location for a future USO downstairs, and relocating the RMCVB's Visitor Information Center to the center point of the baggage claim level.

Flack4RIC

Glad to hear all that space will be utilized.

Is that USO as in the war years when service personnel had places to go for relaxation and entertainment?

My friend Judy Arenstein volunteers on Tuesdays at the airport travel desk. If you happen to pass by tell her Burt in New York says hello.

Glad to hear all that space will be utilized.

Is that USO as in the war years when service personnel had places to go for relaxation and entertainment?

My friend Judy Arenstein volunteers on Tuesdays at the airport travel desk. If you happen to pass by tell her Burt in New York says hello.

Burt, as far as the USO, same concept you noted. It will not be a terribly large facility at RIC, but will help support servicemen/women regularly transporting to and from nearby Ft. Lee and other facilities in the region.

Judy's great. We share some favorite authors and I kid her that she is my "personal librarian" the last couple of years. I'll tell her you said "Hey" next time I see her.

Flack4RIC

I'm not familiar with the sizes of planes, so how big is a super 80? How many passengers can they carry? Also, were they pulled up to jetways or over-nighting on the tarmac?

Super 80s are MD-88s. Delta's configuration has 142 seats (14F/128C) according to their website. I would imagine 2 of them were pulled up to gates (B14 and B15 probably). I'm not sure where the other 2 would be. I don't think Delta's other gates can fit a MD-88 and are only used for regional jets. I could be wrong though.

Super 80s are MD-88s. Delta's configuration has 142 seats (14F/128C) according to their website. I would imagine 2 of them were pulled up to gates (B14 and B15 probably). I'm not sure where the other 2 would be. I don't think Delta's other gates can fit a MD-88 and are only used for regional jets. I could be wrong though.

Delta frequently has 2 MD-8Xs on the ground, and several of the gates used by the airline can accommodate this aircraft type if ground/air crews are mindful of geometry, taxi boundaries. crashvt03, your are correct that B14 & B15 are the usual gates.

On the current schedule, peak days show 9x/day to Atlanta. Mostly MD-88 (142), some MD-90 (150) at present. When you see more than two on the ground, good chance the airline is working through irregular operations.

Burt: Judy says "Hello" back to you, and wants you to know she's here on Tuesdays AND Thursdays.

Flack4RIC

On Twitter: http://twitter.com/Flack4RIC