Richmond International Airport

eandslee

Flight adjustments to and from RIC:

American is adding service to O'Hare; Delta is reinstating service to Minneapolis (on a seasonal basis) and switching three flights which currently fly into JFK to LaGuardia.

From this afternoon's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...-123001/331542/

It's just a shame that American's flights to Chicago are all on the 50 seat EMB-145s. Those aren't the most comfortable planes, especially for a flight that is almost 2 hours. United uses an Airbus A319 on some of it's flights along with the EMB-145.

It's just a shame that American's flights to Chicago are all on the 50 seat EMB-145s. Those aren't the most comfortable planes, especially for a flight that is almost 2 hours. United uses an Airbus A319 on some of it's flights along with the EMB-145.

In 2006, I flew an American Eagle flight to O'Hare in an E-145. Thank God I am 5'6".

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As of September 7th, Delta will add three roundtrips between Richmond and New York increasing Delta's service between the cities to 7 daily flights.

Two of the new flights will connect RIC and LGA and the third RIC and JFK.

Type of aircraft is not specified in this story from today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...-091801/343668/

What will happen to Richmond/Newark service when United and Continental merge?

Edited by burt

As of September 7th, Delta will add three roundtrips between Richmond and New York increasing Delta's service between the cities to 7 daily flights.

Two of the new flights will connect RIC and LGA and the third RIC and JFK.

Type of aircraft is not specified in this story from today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...-091801/343668/

What will happen to Richmond/Newark service when United and Continental merge?

According to this link - http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=18&item=132 - The 2 new flights to LGA will be on CRJ-700. These are 70 seat regional jets. They don't currently have first class in them, but Delta is in the process of refurbishing all of them to include first class seats. I don't think this plane currently flies to LGA from RIC so I wonder if all of the flights will switch to this plane or if it will only be on the 2 new flights. I think the flights are currently on 50 seat EMB-145 or CRJ-200.

The flight to JFK will be on CRJ-200 regional jets with 50 seats and no first class.

Southwest flys past RIC again! :(

Headed to Charleston and Greenville/Spartanburg, SC

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/stories/DN-swcity_12bus.ART.State.Edition1.3dd7256.html

"Southwest Airlines Co. plans to launch service next year to two South Carolina airports, Charleston and Greenville-Spartanburg, the Dallas-based carrier said Tuesday."

Edited by MicoMiles

Southwest flys past RIC again! sad.gif

Headed to Charleston and Greenville/Spartanburg, SC

http://www.dallasnew...n1.3dd7256.html

"Southwest Airlines Co. plans to launch service next year to two South Carolina airports, Charleston and Greenville-Spartanburg, the Dallas-based carrier said Tuesday."

The South Carolina cities, both served primarily by regionl carriers, landed Southwest without providing government subsidies.

I bet Columbia is smarting over not being one of the SC cities selected by Southwest.

Have destination cities from Charleston and Greenville been named by Southwest?

Is it possible GSA may drain some of USA's traffic from its Charlotte hub?

Planning a trip this summer, I was stunned at the price difference between Richmond and IAD.

Richmond to Houston to Cabo = approx $2,000 roundtrip for 2

Dulles to Houston to Cabo = under $1,000 roundtrip for 2

(same airline, same dates, similar times of day)

Would have loved to fly out of Richmond instead of making the trek north, but a grand is worth the drive.

Planning a trip this summer, I was stunned at the price difference between Richmond and IAD.

Would have loved to fly out of Richmond instead of making the trek north, but a grand is worth the drive.

Is that Cabo San Lucas in Baja California?

Maybe you could fly via a connection to San Diego on a low cost carrier and rent a car. dontknow.gif

The border is not as dangerous as people say. Its 90% drug lords against drug lords. The only tourist that are killed down there somehow became involved in the drug trade. Anyway if you fly into San Diego and cross the mexican border on your way down the coast to Cabo San Lucas. I would just rent a decent (not luxury) car and follow the TRAFFIC LAWS. The horror stories you hear are very rare. Its almost like passing through some towns in America that target tourist for money by setting up speed traps. Whichever way you get there, have fun!yahoo.gif

Edited by calwinston

I wouldn't drive from San Diego...that would be way too long of a drive. Fly and just move your business to DC. Perhaps the powers that be will recognized the loss of business, wake up and combat the shift of business to the north by lobbying for other airlines or destinations to the west from Richmond that would lower the price to fly to the west from Richmond. It is what it is right now.

I wouldn't drive from San Diego...that would be way too long of a drive. Fly and just move your business to DC. Perhaps the powers that be will recognized the loss of business, wake up and combat the shift of business to the north by lobbying for other airlines or destinations to the west from Richmond that would lower the price to fly to the west from Richmond. It is what it is right now.

Hey, Eric. It's good to see your tag on this site again. I'm pretty sure Coupe's going to Cabo on his honeymoon. smile.gif

The South Carolina cities, both served primarily by regionl carriers, landed Southwest without providing government subsidies.

I bet Columbia is smarting over not being one of the SC cities selected by Southwest.

Have destination cities from Charleston and Greenville been named by Southwest?

Is it possible GSA may drain some of USA's traffic from its Charlotte hub?

CAE (Columbia Metropolitan Airport) did offer Southwest $15 million in incentives, but the airline rejected the offer because they didn't think they would be profitable there. There was proposed legislation to create a statewide airline incentives fund, largely geared towards providing subsidies for Southwest at CHS and GSP, that was purposely held up by Columbia area lawmakers because they felt that would put CAE at a severe competitive disadvantage. Southwest decided to come to CHS and GSP without those incentives because they didn't want to get caught up in that squabbling, which is something of a gamble for them. No destinations have been named yet. And depending on the destinations, CLT may or may not see a noticeable change in passenger flow.

I am sure it has to do with the competition at IAD due to five LCC's serving IAD. None of which flies to Cabo.

Edited by Shakman

Here's a bit of unusual news from Richmond International.

A colony of feral cats have been removed from one of the airport parking garages by the SPCA and are up for adoption.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/article/CATSGAT17_20100517-171401/345088/

Gee, must have been a really slow news day at the airport today. I'm actually waiting for the announcement of a new non-stop western destination from RIC. I guess until then, they will report about feral cats....

The Chesterfield County airport south of Richmond off of Rt. 10, is undergoing some improvements in order to handle larger aircraft.

Its runway currently is 5,500 feet in length and plans are to lengthen it to 6,100 or maybe 6,300 feet. I think they call it a "reliever" for RIC, but I doubt any passenger carriers have been diverted there.

I wonder if it has a three-letter designation? dontknow.gif

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/article/AIRP17_20100516-222007/344985/