Richmond International Airport

eandslee

The Chesterfield County airport south of Richmond off of Rt. 10, is undergoing some improvements in order to handle larger aircraft.

Its runway currently is 5,500 feet in length and plans are to lengthen it to 6,100 or maybe 6,300 feet. I think they call it a "reliever" for RIC, but I doubt any passenger carriers have been diverted there.

I wonder if it has a three-letter designation? dontknow.gif

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/article/AIRP17_20100516-222007/344985/

This airport doesn't even have an Air Traffic Control tower! You'd think they would want to build one of those if they are going to experience higher traffic volume or larger aircraft. Interesting.

According to this Associated Press story, which mysteriously switches font size as it progresses, you can tweet and twitter your way to remarkably low air fares.

For instance, a few weeks ago Jet Blue was offering $10 one-way seats from Richmond to Ft. Lauderdale.

But you have to be ready to fly at very short notice.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/business/local/article/DEAL23_20100522-183204/346266/

When I was at the airport yesterday I noticed that JetBlue now has some signage up at Gate B5. This gate was previously unoccupied. Does anybody know whether JetBlue is planning on increasing service to RIC causing them to request the extra gate?

Flack would know. I hope he sees this and replies.

This airport doesn't even have an Air Traffic Control tower! You'd think they would want to build one of those if they are going to experience higher traffic volume or larger aircraft. Interesting.

eandslee, designators for GA airports around Richmond:

Chesterfield: FCI

Hanover: OFP

New Kent: W96

Dinwiddie: PTB

Farmville: FVX

Louisa: LKU

Flack4RIC (same on Twitter)

According to this Associated Press story, which mysteriously switches font size as it progresses, you can tweet and twitter your way to remarkably low air fares.

For instance, a few weeks ago Jet Blue was offering $10 one-way seats from Richmond to Ft. Lauderdale.

But you have to be ready to fly at very short notice.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...-183204/346266/

Burt - you're right about the font issues. w00t.png Last-minute fares via Twitter are not widespread, but JetBlue and United, among carriers operating from Richmond, do offer very attractive specials uniquely via that media from time to time. Look for United "twares" and JetBlue's near-weekly "jetbluecheeps."

Flack4RIC

When I was at the airport yesterday I noticed that JetBlue now has some signage up at Gate B5. This gate was previously unoccupied. Does anybody know whether JetBlue is planning on increasing service to RIC causing them to request the extra gate?

crashvt03 - the signage is presently related to the frequency of simultaneous operations.

Flack4RIC

RIC traffic up very slightly (0.5%) in April 2010 over the same month in '09.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis..._at_ric/346764/

Note the panorama of the city in this photo of the terminal's interior. thumbsup.gif

Burt, you do a great job of media monitoring for an "out-of-town" enthusiast. A new story has been posted here: http://www2.timesdis...-220007/346841/

BTW, we may be reach elsewhere online:

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Flack4RIC

Facebook: http://www.facebook....IC/115540704408

The downtown panoramic was photographed from the Manchester floodwall by a local resident named Will Weaver, a talented young photographer who works and goes to school at VCU.

Flack4RIC

Edited by flack4ric

Burt, you do a great job of media monitoring for an "out-of-town" enthusiast. A new story has been posted here: http://www2.timesdis...-220007/346841/

BTW, we may be reach elsewhere online:

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Flack4RIC

Facebook: http://www.facebook....IC/115540704408

The downtown panoramic was photographed from the Manchester floodwall by a local resident named Will Weaver, a talented young photographer who works and goes to school at VCU.

Flack4RIC

I've already been to the Facebook page - I love getting all the latest airport news, photos, deals, etc. via Facebook. Nice work Flack!

Thanks, flack.

If you ever need photos for wall display at the terminal several of our contributors have taken some beauties of Richmond. You'll find them in threads titled Richmond in Pictures I, II and III and I bet they'd be willing to share.

In fact on page 20 of this airport thread, dated July 2nd, 2006, contributor TBurban (A/K/A Tommy) took some great shots of the airport when construction was completed. Unfortunately, due to technical photobucket problems, they have "expired" but perhaps he could revive them.

Peruse the other threads at your leisure and enjoy.thumbsup.gif

Edited by burt

Thanks, flack.

If you ever need photos for wall display at the terminal several of our contributors have taken some beauties of Richmond. You'll find them in threads titled Richmond in Pictures I, II and III and I bet they'd be willing to share.

In fact on page 20 of this airport thread, dated July 2nd, 2006, contributor TBurban (A/K/A Tommy) took some great shots of the airport when construction was completed. Unfortunately, due to technical photobucket problems, they have "expired" but perhaps he could revive them.

Peruse the other threads at your leisure and enjoy.thumbsup.gif

Burt, thanks for the tip.

Flack4RIC

Edited by flack4ric

• 2 weeks later...

Flack,

I recently traveled to TPA through RIC and I have a few suggestions.

1) Please post a 2nd sign for long-term parking as you exit the main terminal and drive down airport drive. There's one immediately at the exit of the terminal but then there are no other signs directing people who happen to drop people off at the terminal (like me recently) and then go park in long term. I had to make a 2nd loop around the entire airport because I didn't know where the exact turn off was. :dunno:

2) Repaint parking space numbers in lot A (and others if necessary). In lot A they are no longer recognizeable and I've found them handy when returning from previous trips not remembering where I've parked.

Otherwise, the airport is looking great. THANKS!!

Flack,

I recently traveled to TPA through RIC and I have a few suggestions.

1) Please post a 2nd sign for long-term parking as you exit the main terminal and drive down airport drive. There's one immediately at the exit of the terminal but then there are no other signs directing people who happen to drop people off at the terminal (like me recently) and then go park in long term. I had to make a 2nd loop around the entire airport because I didn't know where the exact turn off was. :dunno:

2) Repaint parking space numbers in lot A (and others if necessary). In lot A they are no longer recognizeable and I've found them handy when returning from previous trips not remembering where I've parked.

Otherwise, the airport is looking great. THANKS!!

JSI - both suggestions are on target and in the process of being addressed. The additional sign for recirculation is part of a sign project for the inner loop and that project was awarded ~45 days ago. Planning & engineering that the new signs should start going up pretty quickly as they are now on site.

The Economy A lot will be closed once Economy B expansion is complete (~September) to allow for maintenance work including crackseal and re-numbering. For now, please use the pole locators if your space is not well-numbered.

Flack4RIC

Will Weaver has some great shots on Flickr, and the link below is to his set of pictures regarding the panorama Flack referenced.

RIC Airport Banner photo set

I'm ashamed to admit that today is the first time I've looked at Will Weaver's Flickr pictures. Some views of the panorama, thanks to Weaver's artistry, are almost three-dimentional.

If you haven't clicked on you're missing some nice shots.

Edited by burt

JSI - both suggestions are on target and in the process of being addressed. The additional sign for recirculation is part of a sign project for the inner loop and that project was awarded ~45 days ago. Planning & engineering that the new signs should start going up pretty quickly as they are now on site.

The Economy A lot will be closed once Economy B expansion is complete (~September) to allow for maintenance work including crackseal and re-numbering. For now, please use the pole locators if your space is not well-numbered.

Flack4RIC

Great to hear! Thanks!

Delta resumed their service to Minneapolis today. Details can be found here: http://www.flyrichmo...ontent=News_129 I'll be on the flight next week and I'm going to try to fly through MSP instead of Atlanta from now on for my weekly trips to Iowa.

Crash, I have a friend from Iowa and last week she flew the one daily non-stop between LGA and Des Moines. I think she told me it was Delta.

So that might be another option for you as well as ATL and MSP.:)

PS: I think she told me that departure from LGA is at an ungodly early hour so there's probably no connection from RIC.

Edited by burt

Crash, I have a friend from Iowa and last week she flew the one daily non-stop between LGA and Des Moines. I think she told me it was Delta.

So that might be another option for you as well as ATL and MSP.:)

PS: I think she told me that departure from LGA is at an ungodly early hour so there's probably no connection from RIC.

Burt, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, Des Moines is about a 3 hours drive from Dubuque, IA which is where I am working right now. So I typically fly to Cedar Rapids or Moline/Quad Cities which are less than 90 minutes. I can do either Atlanta, Detroit, or Minneapolis, but with the strong potential of thunderstorms and the general delays I usually encounter through Atlanta, I think I'll stick with Minneapolis or Detroit.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an updated story on the plane that held passengers on board late last night and early this morning for about an hour at RIC while an alleged phone threat was investigated:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2010/jun/26/THRTGAT26-ar-232407/

The news story says the affected aircraft was US 1882 from Kansas City to Charlottte and, presumably, on to RIC.

I am not aware of any one-stop service between Kansas City and Richmond.

Maybe it was diverted to RIC and never stopped in CLT. The threat is believed to have originated in Kansas City or Charlotte according to this report.

Edited by burt

Passengers were not told of the "threat" situation at RIC until they were in the terminal. according to this story from today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...rt27-ar-232532/

The story says the flight, US1882, did originate in Kansas City and stopped in Charlotte before heading to its destination at RIC.

We were glad to see this safely resolved, and remain interested in any updates regarding the federal investigation about the threat which, as noted earlier, seems to have originated in Kansas City.

Flack4RIC

Flack, I was not aware that one could fly without changing planes between Richmond and Kansas City.

Are there other one-stop flights between RIC and mid-continent or western cities?

Burt, most of these are "less than daily," but there may be more one-stop destination/origination points than you might have imagined:

Outbound, from RIC to:

Colorado Springs, Phoenix, San Antonio, Salt Lake City, Kalamazoo, Nashville, Burlington, Charleston, Cedar Rapids, Daytona Beach, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Memphis, New Orleans, Fort Myers, South Bend, Sarasota, St. Louis, Edmonton, Omaha, Providence, Birmingham, Greenville-Spartanburg, Greensboro, Raleigh-Durham & Tallahassee.

Inbound to RIC:

Austiin, Asheville, Nashville, El Paso, Sioux Falls, Ft. Wayne, Greensboro, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Harrisburg, Chicago Midway, Memphis, New Orleans, Monterrey (NL), Omaha, Ft. Myers, Sacramento, Traverse City & Ft. Walton Beach.

The list of one-stop flights changes with monthly schedule updates. We tend to have 2-3 Caribbean onestops during the winter, for example.

Flack4RIC

Edited by flack4ric