Richmond International Airport

eandslee

Starting on August 23, 2011, American Eagle will reduce daily frequency on its RIC - ORD route.

http://airlineroute....-us-w11update1/

I still can't figure out why AA only offers flights to Chicago on their tiny EMB-145s. Even United has a mix of A320s and regional jets so you don't always have to fly in a sardine can. If they don't want to give us a MD-80 or 737, at least give us a CRJ-700 every now and then. I realize it isn't too much bigger than a EMB-145, but every little bit helps when you are dealing with planes of that size.

This isn't exactly about RIC, but Southwest announced that AirTran is going to stop flying to Newport News (PHF) next year. http://insidebiz.com/news/southwest-terminating-airtran-service-out-newport-news

One would think that this is good news for RIC. With AirTran at both RIC and PHF, and Southwest at Norfolk (ORF), it would have been surprising to see all 3 stations survive. With PHF gone, you would think Southwest would keep RIC and hopefully offer service to more places than just Atlanta and Orlando.

Let's hope you're right about this Crash. I'd like to see RIC be the Southwest "hub" for all of Virginia, leaving RIC the only airport in the state offering flights to more places through Southwest. Hopefully, by doing that, Southwest would expand their service from RIC, offering more frequency of flights and to many more destinations (to include many non-stop destinations in the west).

Edited by eandslee

The only reason to use Newport News (at least when I lived in VA) was Airtran. I would imagine that the NN airport will really struggle after they leave. I don't know the numbers off hand, but Airtran had to of made up close to half the traffic there. Their demise will of course do nothing but benefit both Richmond and Norfolk.

Let's hope you're right about this Crash. I'd like to see RIC be the Southwest "hub" for all of Virginia, leaving RIC the only airport in the state offering flights to more places through Southwest. Hopefully, by doing that, Southwest would expand their service from RIC, offering more frequency of flights and to many more destinations (to include many non-stop destinations in the west).

RIC is still not off the "chopping block"! Remember that Southwest currently offers service to 2 Virginia cities : Norfolk (ORF) and Chantilly (IAD - Dulles). I'm still with USAirways and I hear all kinds of rumors from my fellow pilots and ground support; both USAirways and others..... I'm not saying what I hear. SWA Mgmt. will look at ALL routes AirTran currently services and discontinue any repetitive service from both airlines and eliminate "under performing" cities. Since I no longer live in Richmond since my transfer, I no longer keep up to date with how things are going with RIC. If AirTran is not doing well in RIC, RIC Officials should better be concerned. The proximity of Dulles and Norfolk will also weigh in on the decision on whether or not RIC becomes a Southwest station. Both SWA stations cater to the Military/Gov't sectors.... As far as RIC being the "hub" for all of Virginia..... I doubt that will ever happen. There's a reason why Southwest hasn't offered service in RIC to this day.

As if Air Tran's pull-out from PHF weren't enough, The FAA shutdown is one of the causes of delays and cancellations of construction activity at Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport.

Work at RIC, apparently, has not been adversely affected.

From yesterday's Newport News Daily Press:

http://www.dailypres...0,4129981.story

Edited by burt

As if Air Tran's pull-out from PHF weren't enough, The FAA shutdown is one of the causes of delays and cancellations of construction activity at Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport.

Work at RIC, apparently, has not been adversely affected.

From yesterday's Newport News Daily Press:

http://www.dailypres...0,4129981.story

This a story from today's RTD about the FAA situation at RIC:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/business/business/2011/aug/04/tdbiz01-faa-workers-still-on-job-at-richmond-airpo-ar-1216669/

• 3 weeks later...

Although Newport News is losing AirTran, it has attracted another low-cost carrier.

Beginning November 16th, Allegiant Air  will begin service every Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday to Orlando-Sanford International.  The airport is about 30 miles northeast of Orlando International (MCO.)

From the RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...s-o-ar-1248171/

Perhaps this is a new airline for NN, but this doesn't come close to the frequency that Air Tran brought.  Orlando-Sandford?  Never heard of it...weird.  However, if all you're doing is trying to get to the Orlando area, this could be your ticket.  RIC had better keep Air Tran/Southwest.  I'm hoping that more destinations will open up.  I'd also like to see if just having Southwest aircraft fly into RIC increases ridership.  Southwest has a knack for that kind of thing - might a boon for RIC - I, at least, would like to see it tried.

RIC is still not off the "chopping block"! Remember that Southwest currently offers service to 2 Virginia cities : Norfolk (ORF) and Chantilly (IAD - Dulles). I'm still with USAirways and I hear all kinds of rumors from my fellow pilots and ground support; both USAirways and others..... I'm not saying what I hear. SWA Mgmt. will look at ALL routes AirTran currently services and discontinue any repetitive service from both airlines and eliminate "under performing" cities. Since I no longer live in Richmond since my transfer, I no longer keep up to date with how things are going with RIC. If AirTran is not doing well in RIC, RIC Officials should better be concerned. The proximity of Dulles and Norfolk will also weigh in on the decision on whether or not RIC becomes a Southwest station. Both SWA stations cater to the Military/Gov't sectors.... As far as RIC being the "hub" for all of Virginia..... I doubt that will ever happen. There's a reason why Southwest hasn't offered service in RIC to this day.

Actually, RIC is not on the chopping block. According to Mike Boyd, a respected airline analyst who can be followed at www.aviationplanning.com, RIC would be a prime candidate for service to MDW and other points west. Being connected to the industry myself, I understand the rumors you are referring to. Airline staff enjoy predicting such things but rumors seldom pan out. Airtran is doing fine in RIC, not great, but doable. Southwest fully intended to fly into RIC but had a change in plans when Gary Kelley took over after Kelleher retired. Southwest began to target airports they had previously avoided, such as BOS and LGA. They still wanted RIC but the priorities shifted. Also, I believe RIC has actually outgrown Norfolk this year. Those numbers are available on Mike Boyd's website.

Oaktowntwinz, your reading of the RIC/Southwest situation is encouraging.

According to the Boyd report you've brought to our attention it does appear that RIC has surpassed ORF in O&D traffic during the first quarter of 2011 and now ranks as the nation's 67th busiest airport (ORF is 70th.)

It's a PDF file.  If anyone chooses to visit it, scroll down several pages to:  

First Quarter 2011, Airports with O&D over 60,000 (sorted by airport code.)

http://www.aviationplanning.com/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Now that Richmond has won the 2015 Road World Cycling Championships, Flack and his associates at RIC have plenty of time to make preparations for the influx of half a million visitors, many of whom will fly to RIC from far-away cities.

Unfortunately, for those who prefer train travel, certain government officials are intent on suspending Amtrak funding, and especially rail service that is partially supported by states. It's possible that Richmond's 18 daily trains will be reduced to about 6.

Any chance for gaining an international flight, say to and from London, between now and then? Direct service from Europe would be sweet and easier for folks traveling to see the Road World Cycling Championship. I'm just sayin'.

It certainly would be nice to see that happen. I think the more likely result will be larger aircraft coming into RIC during that period from the major hubs that have the international arrivals (ie. ATL, JFK, ORD, EWR, etc) to funnel the folks into town. I guess you might see a few charter flights from overseas, but you still face the challenges of not having a regularly staffed customs area. Not sure how all of that would work...

The "Southwest Effect" at RIC? Looks like at least one person thinks so. Check out the wording from this article released in the RTD today:

The future may be brighter for Richmond, according to Michael Boyd, president of aviation consultant Boyd Group International.

Richmond will be the 20th fastest-growing U.S. airport over the next five years, with 7.5 percent growth in passenger traffic, Boyd said.

RIC will benefit from its location in the populous Interstate 95 corridor and from the expected entry of discount carrier Southwest Airlines into the Richmond market.

"Southwest is going to expand there," he said. "It's a perfect market for them. That's going to cause a lot of changes. It's just going to grow."

In May, Southwest bought smaller low-cost carrier AirTran Airways, which serves Richmond.

However, Boyd's forecast does not project passenger traffic to begin increasing at RIC until 2013, noting thatU.S. airlines are still cutting capacity.

http://www2.timesdis...NEWS-7amDlyNews

Edited by eandslee

Good to see RIC continues to roll along as a topic. Believe it or not, love reading the "pros" AND "cons" of all the various discussions. Spending a great deal of time on official social media channels. If you need to contact me, I'll probably spot your communications fastest on the airport's Twitter or Facebook pages as they are so easy to tie into mobile devices and monitor.

As far as the last few topics:

• We take no service for granted, and agree that a market has to perform to retain or attract air service.
  • RIC & ORF are presently of a similar size in terms of passengers, but factor in the split of Hampton Roads passenger traffic between Norfolk and Patrick Henry.
  • The TSA's imaging units have been in place at RIC for three years, and recently got the "gingerbreadman" upgrade to display a less-specific body image, viewable by the traveler as she/he completes screening.
  • No question aviation makes a huge contribution to Virginia's economy. We see it every day.
  • RIC helped Richmond's UCI 2015 bid with data that essentially supported the argument that you can get here (Richmond) from there (Europe). RIC air carriers were involved and helpful in this effort. We would not rule out int'l charters once the event is upon us.

And finally, for those interested in pilot rumors, go here. It's a thriving online business.

Flack4RIC

Flack, its good to get your feedback. I understand we cannot take service for granted and, in your position, you probably have to be conservative. However, I would imagine airport personnel must be excited by Mike Boyd's predictions for RIC. Although nothing is guaranteed, he is highly regarded by many in the airline industry and he is generally accurate with his predictions which are based on thorough research. While many have been fearful that Southwest may pull out of RIC, he has said all along that RIC is a perfect market for Southwest. It seems, as he states, that RIC is well positioned for growth.

Flack, its good to get your feedback.... It seems, as he states, that RIC is well positioned for growth.

Thank you, Oaktowntwinz. RIC is well-positioned to grow with the community it serves, and we certainly prefer to be on the "positive side" of the forecast, as suggested by Mike Boyd of the Boyd Group.

Flack4RIC

I'll be doing my part to support the low-cost carriers in Richmond at the end of October. Booked RIC-Orlando on JetBlue and Orlando-RIC on AirTran. I almost always fly Delta, but the opportunity to fly nonstop (and at the same price as Delta would have charged me to make a connection) more than makes up for no free first class upgrades and the chance of getting delayed in Atlanta!

I'll be doing my part to support the low-cost carriers in Richmond at the end of October. Booked RIC-Orlando on JetBlue and Orlando-RIC on AirTran. I almost always fly Delta, but the opportunity to fly nonstop (and at the same price as Delta would have charged me to make a connection) more than makes up for no free first class upgrades and the chance of getting delayed in Atlanta!

I wish I could say the same but my last business flight is out to Guam, of which the low cost carriers cannot reach. After this, I am done traveling for business. Hopefully, after some business dealings go through, our company will be back to traveling more and I can convince my replacements to go for the low cost carriers instead of Delta.

I'm posting this just to show everyone why the $29 fares on Vision Airlines from Richmond to Freeport are way more than just $29 each way. I chose arbitrary dates in November and below are the cost breakdowns for both legs of the trip:

Going to Freeport:

Fare1.jpg

Returning to Richmond:

fare2.jpg

Wow, lots of fees!