Richmond International Airport

eandslee

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished a family vacation (with 2 young boys) to the West Coast and decided to go all RIC instead of driving up to Dulles for the sake of a direct flight. Let me tell you, I could not have made a better decision. The need to do a layover in DFW more than offset the stress and hassle of dealing with the drive to Dulles and the ridiculous security lines up there. We are an RIC-only family from now on.

If a film crew could have followed us last year and this year and done some creative editing to juxtapose the two, it would make a killer TV commercial for RIC.

Just finished a family vacation (with 2 young boys) to the West Coast and decided to go all RIC instead of driving up to Dulles for the sake of a direct flight. Let me tell you, I could not have made a better decision. The need to do a layover in DFW more than offset the stress and hassle of dealing with the drive to Dulles and the ridiculous security lines up there. We are an RIC-only family from now on.

If a film crew could have followed us last year and this year and done some creative editing to juxtapose the two, it would make a killer TV commercial for RIC.

Maybe Flack will use your strong endorsement in the airport's PA campaign.

How competitive were the prices via Richmond versus Dulles?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shouldn't there be some announcement about Southwest destinations soon? Seems to me August was mentioned as a likely start-up time for RIC service.

• 3 weeks later...

Shouldn't there be some announcement about Southwest destinations soon? Seems to me August was mentioned as a likely start-up time for RIC service.

Southwest just released their schedule changes for March/April 2013 and Richmond was not announced as being converted at that time. Branson, Missouri was the only city converting from AirTran to Southwest in that schedule. Looks like we will have to wait until at least next Summer before anything changes for RIC.

Not that it will make anybody feel any better, but we are not alone with waiting to be converted to Southwest. The following cities are still only AirTran:

Rochester, Flint, Portland (ME), Charlotte, Memphis, Pensacola, San Juan, Wichita, and Grand Rapids

World famous hair stylist to the stars, Garren DeFazio and his partner Thom Priano, have put their Richmond house on the market for $1.3 million. They say they've had enough of the commmute to and from New York since Jet Blue pulled out of the market. :)

http://www2.timesdis...-on-ar-2064455/

This is very sad that we have talent leaving the area because of mediocrity in attracting tenants at RIC. The crazy thing about this is I was just looking into the cost of flying to New York from Richmond non stop today. The cost of a round trip ticket is $322 during low season for travel. Compare that to DC which is $100 or Raleigh which is 3 hours south of us at $150, Charlotte $163, Atlanta $210, Jacksonville $208, Miami $200. Hell I can get a roundtrip ticket from LA to NY for $275. The area needs to get on top of this pronto. This is blatantly outrageous! Soon enough businesses would not want to move here because of the outrageous airport prices.

P.S. This rant is in no offense to you Flack4ric. Just flat out frustrated.

Can anybody recommend a good place to watch airplanes take off and land at RIC? I was thinking the top floor of one of the parking garages but maybe there is a better spot? Taking the kiddos.

Grab a window-side table at APPLEBEE's and enjoy a beer or Coca Cola while watching incoming and outgoing flights.

http://www.flyrichmond.com

Edited by burt

Surprising uptick at RIC.

What is a "peanut" carrier in airline terminology? I would have thought small regional jets such as those that fly between RIC and New York City and charge high fares.

Scott Bass uses the term in the current Style Weekly to describe Air Tran and Jet Blue -- both of which (I believe) use equipment seating 100 or more passengers.

Those two airlines, according to Bass, have jumped into the profitability column at RIC. Bass gets his info from George Hoffer who is an economics professor specializing in transportation at Univeristy of Richmond.

http://www.styleweek...ent?oid=1753070

• 1 month later...

I saw a story by Peter Bacque in yesterday's RTD about a drop in passenger traffic at RIC during September 2012. I am unable to bring it up on line today -- if it's there, I can't find it.

Anyway, compared to September 2011, passenger loads have decreased by slightly more than 2%.

I believe it is this one, burt ;)

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/business/travel/2012/oct/31/tdbiz01-rics-september-traffic-down-25-ar-2324516/

Around half of the airlines' market shares are shown to have dropped, while others such as Delta, AirTran and JetBlue have had good increases. United airlines market share has nearly DOUBLED, which at first shocked me :o until I realized they merged with Continental Airlines last year, making the share as it is :P

• 3 weeks later...

Chesterfield County Airport is about (my guess) 12 to 15 miles southwest of Richmond International and is supposed to serve as a 'reliever airport' to RIC.

This is an interesting story about the small airport's plans to extend its short runway and make other improvements. It is off of Ironbridge Road (Route 10) near the Chesterfield Court House.

From today's Richmond Biz Sense:

http://www.richmondb...00-foot-hurdle/

• 2 months later...

In 2007, aproximately 3.6 million passengers flew in and out of Richmond.  That figure was less than 3.2 million in 2012 according to writer Peter Bacque in today's RTD.

There were 26 daily flights at fairly reasonable prices between RIC and New York's three airports in 2008.  Now, just two carriers (Delta and United) provide half that number of flights -- and if I'm correct, a good percentage of those planes are too small to use jetways.

Tickets can be as high as $900 roundtrip. 

No wonder AMTRAK is carrying more and more people between Penn Station and the three stops in Metro Richmond (Ashland, Staples Mill and Main Street.)

Although the situation may not improve for locals enroute to and from NYCity, Southwest is expected to supercede AirTran at RIC this year.  But if anybody at the airport knows what markets will be served, they're not talking.

From today's RTD: 

http://www.timesdispatch.com/business/economy/passenger-traffic-at-richmond-international-was-flat-in/article_b8e7f4dd-ea23-589d-a60e-66bc89d128b9.html

• 4 weeks later...

I am sad to report that Burt died this week. A late comer to the computer world, he loved these forums and reveled in all his friends and followers. He will be sorely missed. Rest in peace, my friend.

Are you like, a family friend or something? 

My god, I barely know him other than Internet relations and I find this very hard and awful.

The true life and the spirit of Richmond UrbanPlanet is gone. But we can emulate his enthusiasm for the river city, by continuing to post, to carry on the news and developments of the river city.

Buenos noches, amigo. :(

Wow I don't even know what to say. I even teared up for awhile after I saw this. I truly feel like we just lost theh core as well as the heart and soul of Urbanplanet Richmond. He was unlike anyone that I have ever seen on a forums site. He was extremely dedicated and he had such an amazing passion for Richmond and I wanna thank him for all he has done for this site. Even though we may of lost him we must still carry on conversations about things going on in richmond. I feel like this shouldnt be the end to it. This should still go forward. Honestly I joined Urbanplanet back in High school as a freshman when Urbanplanet was just starting up. I was just then getting to learn more and more about Downtown Richmond and its surrounding areas. I learned so much from everyone on here about the ups and downs this city faces but at the same time I am still learning more and more each and everyday on these forums. I am gonna try and post more frequently because as long as I have seen these forums go on we just can't let it all end here because Burt is gone. RIP Burt you will be missed greatly on these forums and most of all on earth as well. JoanPone thanks so much for at least letting us know. He was extroadinarily a great part on these forums and its amazing to know of someone at his age and during his generation of people learning to use a computer and learn how to post on forums as well as post links to different articles. Its amazing someone at his age to at least attempt to wanna learn to use  computer. Thanks and god bless him and god bless his family.

I am at a loss as to how to express the sadness I feel after reading of Burt's passing. Intuitively, I sensed something was wrong because he hadn't posted any news for several days. He was so passionate about his hometown and he loved sharing that passion with everyone. Downtowner, you expressed your feelings much better than me and I know Burt would be very proud of you. I always looked forward to his posts and will truly miss him.

Wow.  I am at a complete loss.  Teary-eyed even.

It is amazing how someone who you may know such little about can move you so...

He was an ardent poster who's optimism about the future of our city was contagious. 

Having faced a close death twice (liver transplant transplant patient) within the last four years, I am humbled by his contributions to this site and to the lives and spirits of all posters who share his passion for the success of our little city. 

I, too, will be more deliberate in posting in his honor.

Peace and Love my friend.