Richmond International Airport

eandslee

Good airport news:

August passenger traffic at RIC increased 4.2 percent from last year representing the second-best month and second-best August on record at RIC (337,518 passengers in August 2017 vs. 324,011 passengers in August 2016). For the calendar year to date, RIC passenger traffic has increased 2.5 percent.

In addition, cargo activity increased 0.5 percent to 11.8 million pounds versus August 2016 and aircraft operations increased 3.0 percent from last year. 

Love to see the aiport getting busier...even if just a little each month!
  • Like 4

Since Facebook will have a data center here, I wonder if that is enough to warrant the need for direct flights from RIC to California where Facebook is based?  Not sure how often (or if) Facebook Execs or others employees will need to go back and forth from California to Richmond. 

On 10/4/2017 at 6:52 PM, eandslee said:

Since Facebook will have a data center here, I wonder if that is enough to warrant the need for direct flights from RIC to California where Facebook is based?  Not sure how often (or if) Facebook Execs or others employees will need to go back and forth from California to Richmond. 

Would be nice, but doubt it. Especially for a facility of only 100 people. I'm sure during construction they will be out here, but this facility if ran correctly should almost feel like it doesn't exist to them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/4/2017 at 6:52 PM, eandslee said:

I actually flew back to RIC on the red eye from San Diego on Sunday. We connected in Dulles and to my surprise, there were about 5 of us from the San Diego flight continuing on to RIC. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, georgeglass said:

I actually flew back to RIC on the red eye from San Diego on Sunday. We connected in Dulles and to my surprise, there were about 5 of us from the San Diego flight continuing on to RIC. 

RIC doesn't have a proper red-eye.  I call that flight the "pink eye".

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, georgeglass said:

Just 5 of you?  That's not too bad I suppose. Wish there was as enough demand to actually have a daily flight to there from RIC. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, blopp1234 said:

The 6-8 gate expansion of concourse A that has been proposed for awhile looks like it is finally going to happen. YAY!!!

http://www.richmond.com/business/local/expansion-at-richmond-international-s-concourse-a-on-the-horizon/article_76afb433-a396-5ef0-abe2-a7c114f5d5f7.html

That is great news.  Really excited to see what new flights this brings to RVA!

So I flew into RIC last night from Orlando and as we approached the airport we flew from the west, then to the north, and then east of downtown to the airport. The view of the city from those perspectives were awesome.  In the dark, downtown looks good but no prominent tower that stands out (of course).  Flying in and out of RIC got me interested in checking the Wikipedia site online to see if there was anything interesting of note. (Sometimes things pop up every once in a while). Well, I wasn't disappointed as I found the following statement referencing the pending expansion of Concourse A:

"The Airport will begin the expansion in the spring of 2018. The airport is also promising new routes to cities like Los Angles, Austin, and possibly even London. While no routes have been confirmed Airlines are showing interest"

I don't know who actually wrote this and don't know if they have any inside information the general public does not, but this statement got me very excited...especially the possible interest in a route to and from London.  Perhaps there is interest and the airport is setting itself up for what may become with the expanded concourse, but dang that would be awesome if true!  I'll continue to do some research, but I hope the LA and London routes come to fruition!

• Like 4

19 hours ago, eandslee said:

"The Airport will begin the expansion in the spring of 2018. The airport is also promising new routes to cities like Los Angles, Austin, and possibly even London. While no routes have been confirmed Airlines are showing interest"

For the record, the Airport neither operates aircraft nor promises new routes. This Wiki statement is worth what you paid for it.

1 hour ago, flack4ric said:

For the record, the Airport neither operates aircraft nor promises new routes. This Wiki statement is worth what you paid for it.

That's what I thought.  I just didn't know if the person who updated this had some inside information or what, but this was the first time I had ever heard of such. Thanks for setting the record straight, Flack!

• 4 weeks later...

Hell yeah!!!  It might be Frontier...Lord knows I’ve been hounding them for months to come fly out of RIC!  Then again, could it be Norwegian with flights to Europe!?  Whatever airline it is, I certainly hope they offer direct flights to points west and/or international destinations!  Can’t wait to find out!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

My gut is saying it will be one of those seasonal airlines with direct flights to somewhere warm during the winter months, but I’m hoping for something bigger!

Well, I haven’t see much fanfare with regard to this announcement, just a small tip off on NBC12, who appears to be the only ones reporting anything on the subject.  With that said your gut may be correct unless airport officials and the Internet at large has been very tight-lipped about it.  Perhaps I should lower my expectations.  The last airline to announce service at RIC was OneJet who operates very small planes...not going to put a dent in  total passengers served with that kind of service (though I’m glad it exists).   I had read somewhere a few weeks ago that Frontier won’t be making anymore route announcements until next summer, but I’m not sure how good the source was.  There are only a few mainstream airlines it could be...Frontier, Alaska Airlines, Spirit, Virgin America...and then we’d be looking at some of the up and coming international airlines...Air Canada (more legacy than up and coming), Norwegian Air...or some “po-dunk” airline no one has ever heard of trying to get its foot in the door (I have no names to suggest here because, who knows).  That is my assessment.  Anyway, I hope the announcement is a good one.