Richmond International Airport

eandslee

Re: joint airport for HR/Richmond. Not too many years ago there was someone with decision-making authority who vetoed the construction of a runway at RIC long enough to handle the largest planes in the skies. It would have required some adjustments along the 895 (Pocahontas Pkwy) corridor but oddly enough, not CSX tracks. This person in authority had the power to sidetrack this plan, and I believe his reasoning was that a SuperPort would or could be constructed north of Williamsburg.

I think it would be a excellent idea. I think it could possibly combine the metro areas and hince more federal money for both of us. Like i said before we could be brewing on another DC/Baltimore metro area! One huge airport would benefit the both of us but there is one problem is who would be getting the tax revenue and I know that Norfolk nor Richmond and Newport News do not want to let go of those funds! I think it would be great because there would be no restrictions in those areas. Can you imagine in 40 years seeing suburbs from Richmond to Newport News and no more woods between the two! :yahoo:

no offense but I think that would be horrible... part of what makes this state beautiful is the greenery/greenspace that is still in tact after 400 years of settlement.

That is only a small little sliver of the state. You have the mountains and southwestern Va. and southcentral Va that will have that greenery that you desire. :thumbsup:

should be an article in the paper tomorrow discussing how great it is that Richmond will soon have not one, but two discount carriers...:)

That's going to be a fun read. I can't wait...but then again, I can wait because I have to go back out into "the hole" tomorrow. Will be back on Thursday though. Hold down "the fort" while I'm gone you crazy posters! :lol:

As promised... good news from the TD about RIC (some highlights):

"Despite years of recruiting Southwest Airlines, airport commissioner Beverley "Booty" Armstrong said yesterday that Richmond is "better off getting AirTran and JetBlue than if we had gotten Southwest.".....

For years, local airport and business advocates courted Southwest, the dominant discount airline. But after a serious flirtation with Richmond in 2001, the Dallas-based carrier chose only one Virginia airport -- Norfolk.

Things seem to be working out for Richmond, though, as evidenced by the airport's 16.6 percent total passenger growth through September compared with the first nine months of 2004.

Low-fare JetBlue and AirTran have targeted Richmond's top two destinations -- New York and Atlanta, putting them "much more in tune" with the local market than Southwest, Armstrong said......

Jon Mathiasen, the airport's president and chief executive officer, left the door open for the airline, saying, "But we'd certainly welcome Southwest."............

Armstrong said Richmond should be able to capitalize on its central location and lure travelers who would rather not drive to Northern Virginia or Norfolk.

"At the end of the day, we have far superior ground transportation," he said."

and best of all!!!

"The airport chief reported that September's passenger mark set a record, with a 28.2 percent increase to 241,914 passengers over the same month last year."

That's over 68,000 more passengers than last September!!

Here's the awesome article if you guys wanna read up on it:

Low-fare lines boosting RIC, officials say

Edited by wrldcoupe4

ahh even more good news for RIC:

Report shows airfare decreases at Richmond International Airport

"A federal report released Wednesday names Richmond International Airport as having some of the biggest airfare decreases in the country. Despite a national trend of rising air costs, the Department of Transportation

• 2 weeks later...

just a head's up...

AirTran Airways starts new mid-day service to and from Orlando

AirTran Airways today began nonstop service between Richmond International Airport and Orlando, the region's most popular Florida destination.

The flights are scheduled to leave daily from Richmond at 12:18 p.m. and arrive at Orlando at 2:18 p.m. Flights will depart daily from Orlando at 1:23 p.m. and land in Richmond at 3:23 p.m.

AirTran, in addition, will add a fifth daily departure to its Atlanta hub on Nov. 16 and new nonstop service to Ft. Myers, FL, on Feb.15, 2006. All flights to and from Richmond will be served by the airline's Boeing 717 aircraft.

http://richmond.com/news/output.aspx?Artic...r=10&position=2

Just wanted everyone to know that Richmond International Airport has their newly designed web site up and running. I like the new format and it contains new photos of the airport and renderings of the new construction that is currently taking place. In fact, it has a Quicktime virtual tour you can take, but I have yet to get it to work for me. Anyway, check out the new stuff at:

www.flyrichmond.com

Here's an additional photo I received of the construction of the new terminal today in my e-mail. I really looks like this terminal is going to be VERY nice - I can't wait to see it completed! Enjoy the pic!

03NOV05Terminal.jpg

Just curious. Will people who park in the decks still have to cross at "street" level to cross into the Terminal?

Just curious. Will people who park in the decks still have to cross at "street" level to cross into the Terminal?

No they will not. There is a "bridge" or walkway that connects the garages to the terminal. Good question though Burt. The new Richmond International Airport is going to be really nice!

Presently USAir has 6 daily flights to and from Pittsburgh, but one in each direction will be eliminated soon at RIC in a move by USAir to cut costs. Poor old Pittsburgh, once one of the airline's major hubs with over 500 daily flights is now down to less than 200. PGH is a great airport. I was working in the city when it opened some years ago and it is really neat. Sorry to see it lose so many flights.

Edited by burt