Richmond International Airport

eandslee

Thanks - I need to stick to 7:30am on United or go with American.   I tend to favor United because my Marriott status gives me Silver United matching and I get to upgrade to the better seats on check-in for free.  But doesn't help me much on those 50 seaters.

20 hours ago, eandslee said:

Good news:  The Chicago - Richmond route is now an A320 on most flights.  There is an occasional regional jet, most seem to be on the larger mainline aircraft now!

Even back in the early 2000's UA flew a mix of 737-400's and regional jet service.  Before then, UA flew the 727-200 to ORD.

5 hours ago, flack4ric said:

Current (October) schedule for UA and AA, RIC-ORD. One mainline aircraft per day, typically the 07:30 departure. Otherwise, UA offers 50-seat regional aircraft. AA offers two-class configuration - using largers RJs - on every Richmond-Chicago flight.

UA AA RIC-ORD OCT18.JPG

Okay, so the A320s are not flying multiple times a day to and from Chicago, but I knew there were A320s flying that route.  I don’t have the flight schedules like Flak does - my response was just based off of just a casual observation.  Still, it’s good news for Chicago travelers if they book those certain flights flying mainline aircraft.  I hope capacity on that route increases even more in the near future!  Thanks for keeping us informed with the latest and greatest info on flights, Flak! :thumbsup:

On 10/19/2018 at 9:04 AM, flack4ric said:

Current (October) schedule for UA and AA, RIC-ORD. One mainline aircraft per day, typically the 07:30 departure. Otherwise, UA offers 50-seat regional aircraft. AA offers two-class configuration - using largers RJs - on every Richmond-Chicago flight.

UA AA RIC-ORD OCT18.JPG

Flack, what happened to our Denver flights consisting of mainline aircraft (i.e. UA A320s). We still have more than one flight to Denver per day (twice I believe), but that route is no longer served by mainline aircraft (instead ERJ-175s). Is it the fact that Norfolk has 3 different airlines serving Denver on larger aircraft (ORF has United, Southwest, and Frontier all with service to Denver on mainline aircraft) and are taking much of the RIC market share?  What gives?  Did ORF just out-do Richmond for better service to Denver and now the Richmond market is suffering?  ORF also has non-stop service to LAS, while RIC is still left waiting for a true direct flight west. I’m confused to how this is happening. Can you help me understand?

Edited by eandslee

22 hours ago, eandslee said:

Flack, what happened to our Denver flights consisting of mainline aircraft (i.e. UA A320s). We still have more than one flight to Denver per day (twice I believe), but that route is no longer served by mainline aircraft (instead ERJ-175s). Is it the fact that Norfolk has 3 different airlines serving Denver on larger aircraft (ORF has United, Southwest, and Frontier all with service to Denver on mainline aircraft) and are taking much of the RIC market share?  What gives?  Did ORF just out-do Richmond for better service to Denver and now the Richmond market is suffering?  ORF also has non-stop service to LAS, while RIC is still left waiting for a true direct flight west. I’m confused to how this is happening. Can you help me understand?

As far as DEN, RIC is seeing twice-daily frequency to a hub well-connected to West Coast (and beyond) markets. Having the frequency and hitting multiple banks at DEN is definitely a business-friendly approach. Beyond that, you must realize that each community has unique characteristics that drive air service development. On the surface, Richmond and Norfolk have similarities. Dig a bit deeper, they're very different markets.

They may be two very different markets, but Richmond is the better market!   ;)Thanks for the response, Flack, even though it was somewhat cryptic.  I’m glad we still have twice daily service to DEN...I just wish there was enough demand to keep the mainline aircraft on that route. 

Edited by eandslee

3 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

I didn't realize Norfolk had direct service to Phoenix on Frontier.

Yep!  And direct service to Las Vegas...although not daily service.  I’m surprised no airline has jumped on a route like that at RIC.  I’ve been told that airlines are apprehensive to be the first to try a route like that because it is risky...I say that an airline needs to grow a pair and just do it - I know they won’t regret it!  People are begging for direct flights out west from RIC.  Right now those folks are going to other airports for those flights. Why not just keep the flying out of RIC?  It’s time already!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to report an observation I have been monitoring over the past week or so:  

Spirit Airlines started nonstop service from RIC earlier this year to Orlando and Fort Lauderdale, FL using the Airbus A319 aircraft. Over the past week or so I’ve noticed that they’ve been using Airbus A320s on those routes instead.  I wanted to wait a week or so before I said anything to ensure it wasn’t a fluke.  While this is not a huge change, it could indicate a positive trend for Spirit on those routes. The A320s seat slightly more passengers than A319s (124 seats on an A319 versus 180 or so seats on an A320).  So what does this mean?  To me, at face value, it looks like the demand on those routes have increased to warrant a larger aircraft...although I cannot be 100% sure since I’m not privy to Spirt Airlines’ statistics.  I’m just sharing what I have observed and, hopefully, it is a positive sign!

• Like 1

Just got an email stating that Richmond just got a new route - nonstop service from RIC to Sarasota/Bradenton, FL on Allegiant Airlines!!  Service to begin 4 April 2019.  More details are probably forthcoming!  This will be Allegiant’s 4th destination from RIC!  Now get a western nonstop flight!

Edit:  looks like service will be on Thursdays and Sundays.

Edit #2:  this is sort of a strange announcement considering that PIE is so close and also is a destination from RIC. 

Edit #3:  here is the official announcement from the airport:

https://flyrichmond.com/allegiant-announces-new-nonstop-service-to-sarasota-with-fares-as-low-as-65/

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 4

Your right - pretty close to Tampa

It does allow more options though as the Sarasota is Thursday/Sunday and Tampa is Friday/Monday

Therefore, you could fly in one and out other in more combinations (such as Thursday to Monday now).

I would like to see a Ft. Meyer one or West Palm.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, blopp1234 said:

Well, Norfolk beat richmond to the punch in west coast flights. Dissapointing that RIC missed out on this opportunity.

https://www.richmond.com/business/local/norfolk-getting-nonstop-flight-to-the-west-coast-southwest-airlines/article_3ce7da86-409e-5852-800f-d25f2ab04479.html

Serously!!!  This pisses me off!  Richmond is the freakin’ capital city for Pete’s sake!!!  Gee, where are RIC’s west coast flights???!!!

Although, this probably has something to do with connecting the two major Naval Bases in the US. 

Edited by eandslee