Richmond International Airport

eandslee

4 hours ago, flack4ric said:

@eandslee, Concourse A work is underway. We're weeks away from seeing anything vertical, but utility work is clearly visible from Gate A7.

@wrldcoupe4, exactly correct. Nice to have surpassed the 4M milestone. 3M was accomplished in 2006, but we don't think it will take a dozen years to make RIC 5M.

RIC 4M TY Info.jpg

This is super awesome news from the airport - thanks flack for your contributions to this site!  So good to hear that construction has begun too!  My worry for 2019 is that without a lot of extra capacity at RIC (only 2 more additional flights announced for 2019), growth at the airport may level off. It would be great to see at least an 11% growth this year too.  Not sure RIC has the additional available seats to pull that off...unless some announcements are made soon to add capacity.  Gotta keep an eye on the prize RIC!

Edited by eandslee

Speaking of capacity...just checked current flights at RIC...

This is the first time I’ve seen JetBlue use an Airbus 320 between Richmond and Boston.  Usually, this route is served with an Embraer 190 (a smaller aircraft).  I wonder if this will be a new change. If so, that’s increased capacity!

A320 From Boston to RIC

• Like 3

@georgeglass, most commercial service airports in Virginia enjoyed 2018. Norfolk was up 8.4%, per ORF reports.

@benstyree, United has scheduled a variety of aircraft on this route. Over the last few days, for example, we have seen an E-175, an A319, and even a 738. Both Q1 and Q2 2019 show gains in seats and frequencies vs. the same period a year ago. Keep in mind that Q2 schedules may not be final.  On my RIC-DEN trips, I've flown both E-175 and mainline equipment and have been very pleased with either option.

@eandslee, as always, thanks for the encouragement. But I've got to ask, what's "the prize"?

Edited by flack4ric
  • Like 1

New Southwest Airline service from Richmond to Tampa and Richmond to Orlando!  Glad that Southwest is expanding service from RIC...finally!  Not daily service, but twice weekly service to Tampa and once weekly (seasonal) service to Orlando.  All starting 10 August.  Check it out:

https://www.richmond.com/business/plus/southwest-airlines-expanding-nonstop-service-from-richmond-to-two-florida/article_95c30889-bad7-5f35-9bef-c77aa7843c4a.html

• Like 2

4 hours ago, flack4ric said:

@eandslee, as always, thanks for the encouragement. But I've got to ask, what's "the prize"?

Just a personal goal I have for RIC...to be THE premier airport in Virginia.  Outside of DCA and IAD, to be the largest airport in Virginia and to be on the level of airports like RDU (in terms of service and number of passengers).  Too lofty a goal? :)

8 minutes ago, Shakman said:

Did WN previously have service to Orlando?

They did have some, but it ended. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, eandslee said:

New Southwest Airline service from Richmond to Tampa and Richmond to Orlando!  Glad that Southwest is expanding service from RIC...finally!  Not daily service, but twice weekly service to Tampa and once weekly (seasonal) service to Orlando.  All starting 10 August.  Check it out:

https://www.richmond.com/business/plus/southwest-airlines-expanding-nonstop-service-from-richmond-to-two-florida/article_95c30889-bad7-5f35-9bef-c77aa7843c4a.html

Good news!  I'm pretty surprised that SWA hasn't offered service to Midway yet.  Seems like a logical route for RIC passengers to plug into the broader SWA network.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

RIC’s growth continues in 2019 as the January 2019 statistics have just been released with that month’s passenger numbers:

January 2019 saw 14.07% growth over January 2018 (a record breaking year for RIC).  The numbers are normally not that high in January due to storms shutting down the airport and/or an excess of weather-related flight cancellations, but January 2019 saw 296,735 passengers compared to 260,133 in January of last year!  Again, this is great news for RIC.  There are a few new services that will begin this year (i.e. new markets like Tampa and Sarasota, FL), but still no new west coast destinations.  Really hoping to see something by the end of this year.  The new markets and upgraded aircraft to larger aircraft (meaning more seats) to cities currently being served should keep RICs passenger numbers in an upward trend!  

https://flyrichmond.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/RIC-JAN19-Activity-Report.pdf

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, eandslee said:

RIC’s growth continues in 2019 as the January 2019 statistics have just been released with that month’s passenger numbers:

January 2019 saw 14.07% growth over January 2018 (a record breaking year for RIC).  The numbers are normally not that high in January due to storms shutting down the airport and/or an excess of weather-related flight cancellations, but January 2019 saw 296,735 passengers compared to 260,133 in January of last year!  Again, this is great news for RIC.  There are a few new services that will begin this year (i.e. new markets like Tampa and Sarasota, FL), but still no new west coast destinations.  Really hoping to see something by the end of this year.  The new markets and upgraded aircraft to larger aircraft (meaning more seats) to cities currently being served should keep RICs passenger numbers in an upward trend!  

https://flyrichmond.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/RIC-JAN19-Activity-Report.pdf

That is really impressive given the concerns of the Shutdown!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Thanks for posting this Coupe.  Hard to be on “my game” while I’m deployed.  Good to know others here will pick up where I left off! ;)

This is just amazing news! I’m still baffled at the growth at RIC every year...and it’s not small growth either!  These are some significant numbers the airport is putting up.  Good thing for the Concourse A addition currently under construction...I think they’re going to really need the space!!

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Per paper today - American adding 3 flights to JFK per day

https://www.richmond.com/business/american-airlines-to-offer-three-daily-flights-to-new-york/article_7cb60600-d92b-5d25-bb65-88ac02006292.html

On another note:  Went to St. Louis last week.   With it being a Southwest hub - seems like if we could get flights direct from Richmond to St. Louis it would be a terrific connecting point to the west coast.  Either there or Phoenix would better put them in the West Coast market from Richmond.

Edited by cbl1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, cbl1 said:

Per paper today - American adding 3 flights to JFK per day

https://www.richmond.com/business/american-airlines-to-offer-three-daily-flights-to-new-york/article_7cb60600-d92b-5d25-bb65-88ac02006292.html

On another note:  Went to St. Louis last week.   With it being a Southwest hub - seems like if we could get flights direct from Richmond to St. Louis it would be a terrific connecting point to the west coast.  Either there or Phoenix would better put them in the West Coast market from Richmond.

While not a new city, this is good news.  AA sees the potential of the Richmond market.  Hopefully, the price will come down too!

• Like 1

For what it’s worth when I was on a delta flight this month to Atlanta from ric it was a full flight leaving Richmond to Atlanta. we flew on a 737 Boeing. When I came back we flew on a md-80 out of hartsfield in Atlanta. I was super impressed with Richmond’s airport as this was my very first time ever flying. My parents are not fond of flying due to my mother has vertigo and my dad isn’t crazy about flying like he used to be. so my girlfriend and I flew to Atlanta and I must say I had a blast flying and am looking foreword to many more flights in my future. Especially out of ric. I left ric at 5:40 am and flew back into ric 5 days later at 9 am when we landed. But very happy and impressed with our airport and Hartsfield in Atlanta was really cool too. It felt weird getting back into Richmond from hartsfield because hartsfield was so packed and when I got back into Richmond I was like where is everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I tend to travel out early am and return late night and the Richmond airport is pretty empty.  However, last week I arrived at Richmond at 5pm and the airport was packed.   People in all the lounges (they were full) - busy corridors.  I was impressed.

Edited by cbl1
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Wahoo 07 said:

While not a new city, this is good news.  AA sees the potential of the Richmond market.  Hopefully, the price will come down too!

This is actually a pretty big deal for flights to Europe, opening up a number of  new options for flights. 

• 2 weeks later...

Three points:

1. West Coast--I  so hope RIC gets a direct flight to LA or SF.  I lived in LA for 7 years and encountered a surprising number of Richmonders.  I think we could meet demand to fill two flights a day.

2. Southwest--What's happening with Southwest? I had such high hopes. I live in Atlanta and used Southwest several times last year, but now I'm all in on Delta as the flight times changed this year for Southwest and they're a lot less desirable (e.g., mid-afternoon from Atlanta vs. end of business day). I may be wrong, but based on my trying to fly Southwest from Atlanta, it feels as if they have fewer flights and less optimal times, but maybe that's just the Atlanta routes. Anyone know anything about that?  

3. Hindsight 20/20--I so wish RVA leaders had actively pursued the Piedmont Airlines hub circa 1970's that ultimately went to Charlotte. Sigh. But great to see RVA finally thriving and focusing on the present and the potential rather than wallowing in the past. I know, I'm a hypocrite with this comment:)

Edited by flaneur
  • Like 2