eandslee

Richmond International Airport

The last steel beam as part of the new extension to Concourse A was installed today.  Now it’s all about finishing up the extension, which will provide 6 more needed gates (giving way to a total of 28 gates at RIC).  Hopefully, this will also lead to new service to new destinations!

• Like 2

I've been down 64E to Norfolk and Va. Beach several times this month for business, the entrance off 64 to the airport is under construction,  assume this is part of the widening of 64 and updating the interchange, though I'm not sure. 

Can report that 64 from 295 to bottoms bridge is all done 3 lanes, HUGE difference, then 2 lanes to Williamsburg, then back to 3 completed lanes all the way to Newport News, Hampton  big difference.   I've mentioned this before but once this is completed, this will be  an amazing improvement, it already is.  The clearing of the island between east & west lanes really opens this up, is quite a contrast to the tunnel that was the 2 lanes prior to this work.  Traffic really flows, feels way less congested when you're in the 3 lanes, there's still pinch points, but this is way better.  

I don't know how to describe this but here's my thought about the road work and how it "feels".  The areas that were 2 lanes, with all the trees in the middle that made up much of the trip, "felt" like it was a rural drive for much of it, off into the country, boring and monotonous, the locations weren't connected  - now, where the new 3 lanes are located, it "feels" way more urban and way more connected.  Made me realize that some day Tidewater and RVA will easily be connected and it already seems like this has changed. 

Edited by Hike
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Surprised you guys didn’t post it, but airport traffic in September was up 8% and up about the same for the year. The concourse expansion has topped out and 3 new daily flights to JFK on American. All in the RTD. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, eandslee said:

Glad the airport continues to grow, expand, hope to get more western routes soon too would be good, it seems like there are a lot of options to FL.

This was a comment in the opinion piece in Style Weekly out last week written by Mayor Stoney.  The comment had me going and then the airport comment.

"Thank you Mayor Stoney for this piece. I 100% support this idea and hope that it will move ahead. I hope the process will become a bit more transparent and open than it has been. Knowing that there are some (many?) that will never be satisfied with whatever is presented.
In a real world partnership, the surrounding communities would be brought in to share the burden and the profit. I realize that they themselves have realities like infrastructure and schools (like RVA) and can not muster the where with all to engage in the process. Frankly, anything would be an improvement over the current Situation, it frankly looks terrible and the longer the deterioration continues it will not get any better.
IMO RVA is on the crusp of becoming a Charlotte or like City. The next step would be to do something about the Airport, that is a hinderance to more people coming to RVA."

Edited by Hike
  • Like 2

I’m actually hoping that this latest announcement is the first of many more announcements of expanded service from Richmond starting next Spring.  Remember, that is when the new expanded Concourse A is supposed to be completed that will expand gate availability by 6 more gates!  That’s a lot of additional capacity!  It might be an interesting next few months for the airport!  Well, I hope it is. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Hike said:

Glad the airport continues to grow, expand, hope to get more western routes soon too would be good, it seems like there are a lot of options to FL.

This was a comment in the opinion piece in Style Weekly out last week written by Mayor Stoney.  The comment had me going and then the airport comment.

"...IMO RVA is on the crusp of becoming a Charlotte or like City. The next step would be to do something about the Airport, that is a hinderance to more people coming to RVA."

Just to be clear, the Airport comment is from an anonymous reader using the handle SOUTHERNGENT, not Richmond's mayor. Aside from the fact this is off topic in the Style Weekly opinion section (and received LOTS of down votes), I welcome more feedback from SOUTHERNGENT. What he posted, unfortunately, is like getting a two-star rating and no comments. How do you address/fix that?

Happy New Year everyone!  Here’s to a new year of economic growth in Richmond!

Speaking of which, I just checked the stats for the airport in November (they were just published) and November 2019 saw 373,149 passengers compared to 370,289 I’m November 2018.  While that is only a 0.77% increase, it is growth.  With very few new routes and additional seats being offered in 2019 I saw this coming. However, I’ve been hearing “quiet news” that expanded service is coming this year for at least one airline, so we might expect to see the passenger counts continue to steadily increase.  Also, it looks like the airport will end up with roughly 4.3 million passengers for the calendar year 2019!  Here’s to a new year with a new Concourse A extension, expanded service, more passengers...a new airline (not a rumor or confirmed - just a wish of mine)!!

Statistic details:

https://t4s7f2q2.stackpathcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/RIC-NOV19-Activity-Report.pdf

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

When you say expanded service, do you think it means destination(s)?

My assumption is that it means new destinations.  I’d be very surprised if it meant more flights to this airline’s current destinations as those destinations are seemingly sufficiently served now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vaceltic said:

Eandslee, I thought for sure you’d beat me to the punch on this. AMAZING growth for RIC. Maybe in a few years, we can surpass 5M passengers?

https://www.nbc12.com/2020/01/28/richmond-international-airport-sees-record-number-passengers/

Sorry I didn’t get to it before you - I’m actually in Hawaii right now on a military TDY.  I’m elated to hear this news though. I hope (and we should expect) there will be expanded service this year with the opening of the expanded concourse A!!

With this expansion, I’d be willing to bet the airport sees even more growth this year...assuming the city’s business reputation hasn’t just tanked!

Edited by eandslee

14 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Sorry I didn’t get to it before you - I’m actually in Hawaii right now on a military TDY.  I’m elated to hear this news though. I hope (and we should expect) there will be expanded service this year with the opening of the expanded concourse A!!

With this expansion, I’d be willing to bet the airport sees even more growth this year...assuming the city’s business reputation hasn’t just tanked!

Don’t worry. It will continue growing and won’t tank. Those are just dramatic words from dramatic cry baby corporations who lost $20M in their own planning and marketing gamble. They are just sending out empty threats, naturally feeling wounded from their failed, closed door, secretive, top down project the community is rejecting. The rest of Richmond’s great business and tourist community will endure with or without these sore losers’ who threaten doom and gloom upon this awesome region.

Edited by vaceltic
  • Like 1

We really need a new arena though and now we will have nothing if Council doesn’t get their crap together.  I was also looking forward to the rest of the project...the housing, the office, the retail space...ugh!  I’m so pissed!  Richmond will never get an offer to do something like this again (mark my words - no one will want to).  It will always be a second and third-rate city with screwballs running city council. Just frustrated.

...but I digress...this thread is about the airport - one of the shining stars of the Richmond area!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Update on the airport’s Concourse A expansion.  I think Mr. Bell in his quote is being very modest.  I know the airport needs new parking for overnight aircraft, but how can you build 6 new gates and not expect expanded service as well...especially with the growth the airport has seen?  I have a feeling that more announcements of expanded service is coming this year.  Concouse A expansion is now scheduled to be completed by the end of the summer (a little later than originally thought):

https://www.wric.com/8news-digital-exclusives/ric-airport-extension-of-concourse-a-slated-for-completion-at-end-of-summer/

• Like 1