Richmond in Pictures

eandslee

Just thought someone might want to see Richmond LIVE, so here are some webcams I am aware of - some are even controllable! Enjoy!

Webcams from the campus of VCU (can see the heart of Richmond - controllable):

http://www.vcu.edu/ramcam/index.html

See how are traffic is...usually not bad for a city of 1 million plus!:

http://www.trafficland.com/findacam/traffi...p?uid=0&map=101

Tower cam - sometimes can see some great shots:

http://www.nbc12.com/servlet/Satellite?pag...d=1059969234760

When it's working, this is a great webcam of the State Capitol:

http://hodcap.state.va.us/webcam/WebCam-02.htm

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just thought someone might want to see Richmond LIVE, so here are some webcams I am aware of - some are even controllable!  Enjoy!

Webcams from the campus of VCU (can see the heart of Richmond - controllable):

http://www.vcu.edu/ramcam/index.html

See how are traffic is...usually not bad for a city of 1 million plus!:

http://www.trafficland.com/findacam/traffi...p?uid=0&map=101

Tower cam - sometimes can see some great shots:

http://www.nbc12.com/servlet/Satellite?pag...d=1059969234760

When it's working, this is a great webcam of the State Capitol:

http://hodcap.state.va.us/webcam/WebCam-02.htm

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, thats awesome. Thanks for the link eandslee.

Cool photo tour coupe. Thanks! I really loved some of those photos. Here's one that was posted on RCW earlier today that I also fell in love with. Some things have changed since this photo was taken...namely the Riverside on the James project, but a very nice photo of Richmond indeed!

36607220.RichmondSkylineWeb1.jpg

I also love this picture. The wildness of the James winding through the city with the skyline in the background. Absolutely beautiful, especially in person. It's a nice contrast. It also points out that Richmond is one of 2 cities in the country having Class IV rapids running through its downtown (the other is anchorage, alaska).

Richmond%20Raft_downsize.jpg

I like the picture of the holiday skyline - would be good if they had that all year long. But I like the picture of the skyline against the river rapids even more. To be able to go kayaking through a city is an attraction in and of itself.

Great shot of the Richmond skyline. Makes me wish I was there now. I'll be checking out Richmond City Watch for more good stuff about Richmond.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks MikeD. It makes me wish I was there now too. Definitely check out RCW for a massive collection of images of Richmond. BTW, did you decide where you were going to move? I remember you mentioning Providence RI (I think). Hopefully, youll still be keeping Richmond in your thoughts. Or at least visit and check the place out sometime.

Thanks MikeD. It makes me wish I was there now too. Definitely check out RCW for a massive collection of images of Richmond. BTW, did you decide where you were going to move? I remember you mentioning Providence RI (I think). Hopefully, youll still be keeping Richmond in your thoughts. Or at least visit and check the place out sometime.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haven't decided yet. I probably won't know until summer. I did mention Providence. I'm also considering Baltimore/DC, Raleigh and Charlotte. I'm trying to convince my girlfriend (a native of Newton, MA) that there are places much less cheaper and with better job opportunities to live in other than Massachusetts, but I don't think she's quite ready to leave. As for me, I'm looking to move out of Mass because it's just too expensive, the economy doesn't look like its going to improve, the traffic sucks and the state and local governments try to pretend there's nothing wrong with Mass. RI has some of the same problems as Mass (and the same oppressive winter weather), but at least it's more affordable and its elected officials seem like they are making a better effort at encouraging people to live there. My girlfriend is afraid to move too far away from her family so if we went to RI, she wouldn't be too far away from them (and I wouldn't be too far from my family in NYC). But at the same time, I think about the economy in the coastal Northeast (Boston, Providence, New York) and I feel as though I wouldn't be able to live comfortably in the Northeast. And I tell her that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But I still want to visit Richmond whether I move there or not.

Baltimore/DC is really expensive, at least compared to farther south. Rhode Island is a nice state...I have family that used to live in Newport.

You're in Boston, a city with a wonderful history and culture. Now I can't speak for the other cities you are thinking of, but as you can tell from my signature, I think (as well as others) that Richmond has soul. It has that rich history. Life is slower there, yet not too slow. You feel like you're in a small town, yet at the same time a big city. It's still got southern charm. Sure it's not perfect and it has its problems, but then again, nowhere is perfect. There's just something about it. There's something about it that draws people home.

Good luck with the gf. I know how much fun they can be to try to persuade. :)

Thanks for wishing me luck with my gf. Yeah, it hasn't been easy, but I'm going to keep trying.

Richmond defintely has the feeling of a "little giant" city. It looks like a large city when you look at its skyline, yet its population is under 200,000 and even its metro isn't the largest in the state. Yet quite a few Fortune 500 companies have offices there as do a lot of law firms. And then you have the colonial and Civil War sites to make for a good mix between old and new.

Boston has that too - although it didn't play a major role in Civil War history like Richmond. Here you have a lot of mixing betwen old and new. Boston plays up its colonial historic heritage and does it well. Problem is the city's too expensive to live in and so are the suburbs. And its economy is still lagging behind other cities (especially those in the Sunbelt). And I've found many Bostonians to be very unpleasant people who try hard to complete with Manhattan in terms of attitude. If I wanted snobs and overpriced housing, I would have stayed in New York. While I know that you'll find snobs everywhere you go - I do believe they're more numerous in places where it is more expensive to live. A lot of Bostonians are also very uptight and in a hurry (again, trying to compete with NYC). I don't need that in a city.

I know that Washington and its surrounding towns have become very expensive to live in too, although if I can get a federal job, that's probably the best place to be. I can always do what many folks who work in Washington do - live in Baltimore and commute to DC on the MARC train because Baltimore is still less expensive than DC. I don't know too much about the Baltimore/DC area, but I'm hoping to take a visit there with my gf who has friends and family in Baltimore so I can get a first-hand look at the area. She likes Baltimore a lot, so that might work. Maybe if we visit that will help convince her. We'll see...

• 2 weeks later...

here are some pics I found.....

I love this view of the city: It is from the pedestrian bridge that crosses over the James to Belle Isle

NK010803162026_1621d.jpg

here is the pedestrian bridge beneath the Robert E. Lee Bridge...pretty cool idea!

NK010803162026_1621f.jpg

This is looking out at belle isle from near the Richmond Civil War Visitors Center at Tredegar Iron Works...The Lee bridge is at the right.

NK010803162026_1621b.jpg

Images from here

Okay I got to go home for Mother's Day and we went down to Belle Island so I thought I'd bring the camera along so I hope you enjoy....

Skyline from the suspended pedestrian bridge to Belle Island

000_0072.jpg

View along the pedestrian bridge towards Belle Island

000_0073.jpg

Another view of the skyline from the bridge

000_0074.jpg

View of Ethyl Corp's HQ (White building on top of the hill). Tredegar is peeking overtop of the RR bridge in the foreground.

000_0075.jpg

View of the James River looking west from Belle Island

000_0076.jpg

Part of Dominion Resources riverfront HQ campus. The new energy exchange is the building with the green sloping roof that is obstructed by some trees. Above Dominion, on the Oregon Hill are the new Overlook Townhomes under construction.

000_0077.jpg

Overlook Townhomes again as a coal train passes by heading east.

000_0080.jpg

Pic of the skyline from the eastern edge of Belle Island..check out the geese

000_0079.jpg

Suntrust Mortgage HQ in Manchester from Belle Island:

000_0078.jpg

Riverside on the James behind the Manchester Bridge..turned out a little blurry for some reason

000_0081.jpg

Riverside on the James again

000_0082.jpg

Suntrust Mortgage HQ to the right and Overnite Transportation HQ to the left in Manchester

000_0083.jpg

The Civil War Visitors Center at Tredegar Iron Works

000_0084.jpg

The Canal Walk from near Tredegar

000_0085.jpg

Tredegar again

000_0087.jpg

The gleaming Federal Reserve

000_0086.jpg

Archived