Richmond in Pictures

eandslee

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

okay... I guess I'll post the second batch of pics. Enjoy :)

Lofts at Cary Place are coming along nicely...I really like the way this project has turned out!

Richmond11-6-05026.jpg

Richmond11-6-05027.jpg

Along Cary across from Lofts at Cary Place and a shot of the Granby St sign for all those Norfolk forumers :thumbsup:

Richmond11-6-05028.jpg

Cary St...around like 3rd st

Richmond11-6-05029.jpg

Richmond11-6-05030.jpg

Richmond Ballet

Richmond11-6-05031.jpg

Richmond11-6-05032.jpg

Pic turned out crappy but there were two trains intersecting at the same time...I was hopin' for that trifecta but it didn't happen

Richmond11-6-05033.jpg

From Riverside on the James

Richmond11-6-05034.jpg

random skyline pics

Richmond11-6-05035.jpg

Richmond11-6-05037.jpg

Richmond11-6-05038.jpg

Richmond11-6-05039.jpg

Richmond11-6-05040.jpg

Wachovia Securities HQ **cough cough**

Richmond11-6-05036.jpg

Sterling Row Condos on 19th st

Richmond11-6-05041.jpg

Richmond11-6-05042.jpg

I wonder its fate will be?

Richmond11-6-05046.jpg

Mr. Washington with some of his revolutionary buds

Richmond11-6-05047.jpg

New Federal Courthouse

Richmond11-6-05048.jpg

Richmond11-6-05049.jpg

Richmond11-6-05050.jpg

Berry Burk...sign looks cleaned up!

Richmond11-6-05051.jpg

Philip Morris Research site:

Richmond11-6-05052.jpg

Richmond11-6-05053.jpg

and some fun skyline shots:

Richmond11-6-05043.jpg

tobacco row

Richmond11-6-05044.jpg

Richmond11-6-05045.jpg

enjoy... wish I could've taken more!

WOW! What a beautiful set of pictures. Your photography is first rate.

Comments on the 2nd set (my numbers do not refer to actual chronology):

1. Lofts at Cary Place. I love the look of them. They look more massive than they probably are, and they have a sort of European look to them.

2. If the city could/would just bury all those overhead wires - everywhere!!!

3. The beautiful row houses on Cary between 1st and 2nd. That is a great block.

4. The Richmond Ballet. A nice job was done to the reclamation of this building. The sloping top level is where the Ballet has its very nice Studo Theatre.

5. Great skyline shots, especially your artistic shot of the McGuire Woods building!

6. Sterling Row. I think the finished project is going to look better than many think. The Monroe Building (background) somehow looks cleaner to me. Did they power clean the white sides?

7. Murphy's Hotel with the prominent plywood windows. Very sad. As much as I like the exterior, I don't hold out much hope for it. Some people have pointed out that the walls are bulging in spots, showing signs of structural weakness.

8. I like the curved facade of the new Fed Court House as seen from 8th and Grace. There will be a park-like setting at this corner of the C.H. just as there will be another at the 7th and Broad corner.

9. I love the Berry Burk builing. Contrary to some reminiscences, it was never a department store; rather a very up-scale clothing emporium. The addition (not so beautiful in my eye) to the John Marshall is in background. I hope renovation is truly going on there.

10. Wonderful shot of the Phillip Morris site taken from the Convention Center at 5th and Leigh streets. Is that the new PM parking garage in background on Jackson at 7th? Note: These pictures are considerably more recent than Ryans in his latest portfolio.

11. Skyline from downstream on the James is superb. Did you take it from the Slave dock on southside of river? See the boat tucked in on the right? That's just below the Great Ship Lock at site of what was to have been Rocketts Wharf (not to be confused with Rocketts Landing further downstream).

12. Very good picture of Tobacco Row.

13. Skyline from flood wall on south bank near 14th Street (Mayo's Bridge). The bridge looks newly paved and as if some sprucing-up has been done on the span. I no longer see those ugly power lines strung from light tower to light tower.

EXCELLENT work,coupe.

burt.... follow ups on your comments:

1. Lofts at Cary Place does seem big in real life! Much larger than I thought it would be! I'm very pleased with it... Hopefully East-West Realty does more projects like this in urban areas (they are known best for their Woodlake, Brandermill, Hampton Park Developments)

2.if the power lines were buried the city would look a million times better..

11. I actually took that picture from the dock where the Annabelle Lee used to call on the northside of the river. Lots of fisherman down there and it's one hell of a beautiful view!

13.Mayo bridge was freshly paved. So fresh the lines haven't been painted yet. Can't remember if I saw those hanging power lines. I think improvements were secured through federal tranportation funding. Should be totally refurbished...

10. yes, that is the new parking deck under construction in the background

9. I'm under the impression that work is continuing on the John Marshall...someone on RCW said that Asbestos work should be complete in a month and that the sign will be restored, though the "Hotel" won't be relit..could they just remove the "hotel" part then?

6. Couldn't tell if the Monroe has been cleaned up...it was a beautiful day, so it may have been the lighting.

Awesome pics wrldcoupe, thanks for sharing!

My comments:

1. I bet if you showed pictures of Pony Pasture to someone who doesn't know Richmond, you could never convince them it was in the middle of a big metro area. What an amazing treasure we have there and so far the city has done a wonderful job of preserving it.

2. The Lofts at Cary Place are looking great! A lot different than last time I passed by.

3. Slowly scroll up and down past the picture of the McGuire Woods building. Pretty cool eh? :thumbsup:

4. I can't wait to see the Courthouse and Research Center once they are complete. Like burt, I really like that curved facade.

Thanks again for the pics.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Okay here's a few pics I took over memorial day weekend. They are of the Virginia War Memorial. Nothing special but I hope you enjoy. I was gonna take a ton of downtown, but that Monday was so nice that I chilled with some friends down near belle island on the river instead :)

000_0110.jpg

Thanks for joing us, HartfordTycoon. I hope that's exactly what you are -- a tycoon -- and can be instrumental in bringing business to Richmond. Mind you, I'm not suggesting relocating a major company from Hartford ;), though we would be pleased with anything you all have outgrown.

• 2 years later...

Archived