Richmond in Pictures

eandslee

The Pm site will more than likely have 2 cranes since it is such a massive project. I think its supposed to end up being 8 stories. I'd also like to know whats going on with the parking lot nearby that is being fenced off. I probably should have asked some of the workers. Ohwell, glad to appease your appetite :) I get off work at 2:30 tomorrow so maybe I can go down again and take more pics. The city looked wonderfuil today. btw, the park place apartments at monroe park are nearing completion. They are turning out realllllly nice.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks man...you should get down there and just walk around sometime. I LOVE being in the city. You should try it especially since you were brought up in the burbs (like me). I walked from broad down to Main to try to take a pic of Main's urban canyon but there were too many trees in the way to get a really good shot.

Great pics, Coupe.

The interior shot of the Power Plant reveals that considerable decor work is going on in there. Obviously, some type of restaurant/club is on the way, IMO.

I think the fenced off block near the PM site is probably for a parking structure. Can't imagine the area being fenced off just for a surface lot. The roof of the Coliseum is, I think, about 120 feet high, and it appears PM will be higher. I'm guessing 10 floors.

Don't suppose you saw any activity around Miller & Rhoads? Or, around the John Marshall Hotel? You're right; Berry Burk is a beautiful building, and in its day, was a very upscale store.

What's holding up work on Edgeworth, I wonder?

The Canal Walk is now open thru ROTJ isn't it? It appears that no one has yet moved into Joey's Bald Headed Apartment House. :lol:

In the shot of Tobacco Row, the Carolina Building is the location of a fancy new restaurant called Sensi (Northern Italian cuisine). Its address is 2222 E. Cary and it will open soon.

More comments later. Again, thanks for the pictures.

What's holding up work on Edgeworth, I wonder?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Edgeworth building did show some signs of work a few months back with some structural work about the smoke stack. Looks like, from Coupe's photos, that not much has gone on since. I can't imagine what could be holding up that project. Seems like developer would want to hurry and get those loft apartments or condos online as soon as possible to meet demand.

Yea it seemed as if they were working hard in the powerplant (yes, the canal is fully opened all around ROTJ. I don't think the condos are ready yet because I saw painters and other workers inside the windows of the condos.

The fenced in former surface parking lot near the PM site makes me curious. The land has already begun to be cleared. However, I've heard absolutely nothing about any plans for anything there. Judging by the animated flyby on the PM website, I think parking will be under the research building for its employees. So I dunno what will end up there. It would be a great site for a new research building.

Edgeworth probably hasn't lined up enough tenants to begin full renovation which surprises me.

The Miller and Rhoads site is a weird one....Just like last time, I saw a security guard sitting outside of an open door. However, I barely saw any work. There were a few contractors that seemed to be moving bricks and cobblestones around on the ground where Murphy's used to be. The John Marshall was fenced in and I couldn't tell if much work was going on there yet. However, I think that some retail shops in a building to its rear have recently vacated or are vacating soon and relocating.

Glad to take the pics...I'lll see about taking some tomorrow since I get off of work around 2:30

eric...Edgeworth will only be office and retail. no residential is slated for it that I know of.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oops, thanks for setting me straight on that Coupe. It's sometimes hard to keep up with all that is going on. :blush:

check out this treasure of a postcard!

broad.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have this very card and enlarged it to a 8X10. In fact, back in the mid-80, I commissioned an artist named Parks Duffy to make a painting of it (about 3'X2'). I gave it to the Richmond Historical Society about 4 years ago and assume they still have it (hope so, because it had value).

I have this very card and enlarged it to a 8X10.  In fact, back in the mid-80, I commissioned an artist named Parks Duffy to make a painting of it (about 3'X2').  I gave it to the Richmond Historical Society about 4 years ago and assume they still have it (hope so, because it had value).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

don't u love the big, prominent tires on autos of the period! :lol:

Can't wait, coupe. Meanwhile, I'll go back to RCW and see if Ryan has posted more pics in his July gallery. He had 10 yesterday which I stumbled on once, but could never find again. Then I sent him a message and he said that 55 more would be going up last night. But I couldn't find them earlier today.

okay here's the latest installment of pics...I hope you enjoy. I tried to hit different parts of town.....

Newly Restored Cary Court Park and Shop in Carytown

July25Richmond001.jpg

Various Carytown Pics

July25Richmond002.jpg

July25Richmond003.jpg

July25Richmond004.jpg

July25Richmond005.jpg

July25Richmond006.jpg

July25Richmond007.jpg

July25Richmond008.jpg

July25Richmond009.jpg

July25Richmond010.jpg

Progress on the Lofts at Cary Place:

July25Richmond011.jpg

July25Richmond012.jpg

Henry 'Box' Brown monument on the Canal Walk:

July25Richmond013.jpg

July25Richmond014.jpg

Some of Richmond's major Banking towers (stool pigeons and La Diff are in the foreground)

July25Richmond015.jpg

July25Richmond016.jpg

City from the Manchester Floodwall overlook

July25Richmond017.jpg

July25Richmond018.jpg

July25Richmond019.jpg

Southern States Silos which will be converted into condos

July25Richmond020.jpg

Warehouse 201, part of Manchester's emerging Soho style district

July25Richmond021.jpg

I'll post part 2 in a few....

okay time for part 2....enjoy!

Uptown on Main St....

July25Richmond022.jpg

July25Richmond023.jpg

July25Richmond024.jpg

July25Richmond025.jpg

July25Richmond026.jpg

On the Avenues (At Libbie and Grove for you out of towners :))

July25Richmond027.jpg

July25Richmond028.jpg

Some shots of the campus of the University of Richmond which is celebrating its 175 year:

Modlin Center for the Arts

July25Richmond029.jpg

July25Richmond030.jpg

July25Richmond031.jpg

TC Williams School of Law

July25Richmond032.jpg

July25Richmond033.jpg

July25Richmond034.jpg

New Ukrop's on Forest Hill that I stopped at to rehydrate!

July25Richmond035.jpg

Hope you guys enjoy them..... :) I braved 3 million degrees fahrenheit to take those pics!

thanks burt...it only took about 2 hrs to get all those pics. A dive into a pool sounds great but I don't feel like venturing into the heat...I don't know how people lived without A/C :lol:

I tried to hit a broader area of places to get a variety in the pics. Most of the other ones had been mostly new developments. I wanted to show that there was more to Richmond than the CBD.... Hopefully I can go out and take some more soon!

Nice photos. I used to live on Boulevard right at the intersection with Cary and that neighborhood is the one thing I really miss about Richmond. Anytime I'm there I make sure I hit Plan 9 and then go up to Mary Angelo's for a pizza.

I have some photos from 1988-1991 of Richmond if anyone is interested I can scan and post them

Nice photos. I used to live on Boulevard right at the intersection with Cary and that neighborhood is the one thing I really miss about Richmond. Anytime I'm there I make sure I hit Plan 9 and then go up to Mary Angelo's for a pizza.

I have some photos from 1988-1991 of Richmond if anyone is interested I can scan and post them

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome, electricmonk (wow, what a moniker!). I for one would like very much to see your decade and a half old pics. Fire away! :)

When you visit, do you take note of how the apartment buildings along The Boulevard have so vastly improved? I think a company named Pierce Arrow is responsible for rehabilitating most of them. Some of those buildings had gone quite seedy.

Archived