Richmond in Pictures

eandslee

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Waiting expectantly, Coupe, for your latest pics.

One of ur above shots of the canal near Tredegar reminded me of a pic I saw in Skyscraper of a guy named Spencer taken at that sight in a thread titled something like "show ur mug". Anyway, this very same Spencer has contributed a few very positive reports about Richmond on the Skyscraper site (scroll down to the third section and punch in "southeast"). I haven't seen any contributions on this or the other (RCW) site from this upbeat person.

Sorry to keep yall waiting....here are the pics I took. Nothing special but it made me realize A) how much I love the city and B) that I could spend a straight week taking snapshots and still have just scratched the surface. In any case, I hope you enjoy!

The canal was bustling with activity this weekend.

000_0089.jpg

Lady Bird is coming along well. They have done a great deal of masonry work.

000_0090.jpg

This is the location of the soon to be Vistas on the James. It is bound by the canal, Virginia St, 14th St, and the railroad. No construction activity that I could see yet though.

000_0091.jpg

View from the Vistas site looking back towards the canal and the city.

000_0092.jpg

From the overlook...Riverside is nearing completion...IMO, the residential tower doesnt look half bad from the ground. It's when it is seen from a distance that it looks sub par.

000_0093.jpg

I loved this view so I had to snap it

000_0094.jpg

Looking across the canal towards the soon to be piazza of Riverside. They were working pretty hard on it.

000_0095.jpg

Looking across one of the new bridges into the parking deck of ROTJ.

000_0096.jpg

The canal at the Turning Basin. To my left there was a heavy rock band playing

000_0097.jpg

Future site of the First Freedom Center in Shockoe Slip...

000_0099.jpg

These buildings will look absolutely stunning after they are redone as luxury apartments.

000_0100.jpg

000_0101.jpg

Site work on the new $300 million Philip Morris research facility has already begun. I can't wait!

000_0102.jpg

The UNOS headquarters in the BioTech Park. I love the modern design of this building

000_0103.jpg

The Lofts at Cary are coming along well too. From what I can tell, the foundations are being/have been laid. This is a very promising project in a blighted area along Cary.

000_0104.jpg

000_0105.jpg

And that's all. I wish I had taken more pictures. But hope you enjoyed

OK. You've got 16 pix up. Here are my comments by the numbers"

1. Is that you with back pack chatting up gf?

2. Hmmmmm. Lady Bird looks great. I think they're going to add cast iron balconys along its length..

4. There are going to be terrific views from Vistas. While it's the tallest in the State (I think), I'm not a fan of that state tower looming with lonliness in the background.

5. You're right! The condo tower doesn't look half bad.

6. Neat foto of Riverside with Christopher Newport Cross juxtaposed with smoke stack and towers. Did you peek in power plant building for any clues of Ramshead activity?

9. Wish the Turning Basin were bustling with more people. Lady Bird and Vistas should spur activity. Good to see they've added canopies on the boats to prevent sun burn.

10. Hey! The poles at First Freedom site actually have flags! Is that limp one at right the new Richmond banner?

12. Thank God they've started rehabilitating those building on 14th at

Main. They're full of character. In my youth, one of them housed a ship chandler.

13. City Hall in the background of the PhillipMorris site foto looks good except for the ugly elevator housing. You'd think they could have devised a better roof line to disguise that hulk.

I'm sure there's a better way of posting these comments - maybe individually at each of the pictures - but I don't know how.

Thanks again Coupe. :)

Thanks Burt! Some responses to your responses:

1. haha sure isn't. Being half-welsh doesn't yield that skin tone nor hair color, at least in my case anyways :D

2. I cannot wait for the Lady bird to be ready. It will be a beautiful and important addition to the canal walk

4. What I should have done is taken pictures from the site facing N S E and W. That is the view from the site looking directly back at the turning basin.

5. Yea it's not as bad as some people might think. However, I cannot stand the elevator thing sticking out on the top. I think they could have done a better job of integrating/shielding it. The rooftop garden idea is a great one. I've seen many of them in D.C.

6. I looked around but I didn't see much in the way of activity for RamsHead. They still have a lot of work to do before it can be adapted into an entertainment/retail venue.

9. Every time I went by the Turning Basin, the canal boats were packed. There was also a lot of pedestrian activity though the shot makes it seem contrary.

10. I believe that flag is actually for the First Freedom folks. It would be nice to see the city's flag displayed more often though.

12. Interesting tidbit about the past! I think when these buildings are finished they will be absolutely awesome. I think they will resemble more of the slip along Cary when completed.

13. I love the recladding but they did nothing to that top part. They could have made it into so much more....a real focal point. It stands out against the new more modern look of City Hall.

Thanks again...I'll try to get downtown again soon to snap some more shots! Let me know if you would like to see anything in particular...

Coupe: Re: #13. Maybe the City Council will divert your buddy Wilder's salary increase, 9-person security detail, 6-floor suite atop city hall and other funds to a new attic (roof) for City Hall.

Seriously, Wilder's name and reputation is drawing considerable National attention to Richmond, but I think he demeans a lot of economic development that took place before he and Paul Goldman (is that his name?) took office.

This new Council ain't like its predecessors!

Reference the 2nd of the 2 pics of the buildings being rehabbed at 14th and Main: If you scroll as far as you can, you'll get a glimpse of the narrowest commercial building in Richmond. It's at the end of the group of buildings on Main. About 7 foot wide frontage, tho it fans out toward the rear of the structure.

By-the-way, I didn't want to go without saying "thanks", to you Coupe, for the cool pics! Boy, did those photos bring me "home". It was also great to see folks down at the canal walk...that's very promising! That Philip Morris project is going to be fun to watch go up! It's an exciting time to claim Richmond "home". More development will be coming...I can just feel it!

I'm off work on Sunday and Monday...so if they are nice days maybe I can hit up the town and take some pics. Anything in particular guys?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

- I'd like to see this paint job they're doing on the ROTJ parking deck I keep hearing about on RCW. I'm interested to see what that is looking like.

- I know this is a little ways away (only seven miles from downtown), but I'd love to see the construction progress going on at the airport. I've heard that the double decker road is complete and I can't remember, but perhaps the terminal building construction has begun.

Those are just two that popped up in my head, but you know what to do...get anything interesting! I trust you!

you do have a thing for the airport...I'll see what I can do. Are they strict about taking pictures of airports after 9/11? I don't really feel like being interrogated by Homeland Security and being sent to Gitmo :lol: j/k. Maybe I'll try taking the Pocahontas Pkwy back home. I'm curious about this thing going on in the ROTJ thing too.......I'm glad they are doing something, that raw concrete just looked bad...Burt anything you'd like to see?

you do have a thing for the airport...I'll see what I can do. Are they strict about taking pictures of airports after 9/11? I don't really feel like being interrogated by Homeland Security and being sent to Gitmo :lol:  j/k. Maybe I'll try taking the Pocahontas Pkwy back home. I'm curious about this thing going on in the ROTJ thing too.......I'm glad they are doing something, that raw concrete just looked bad...Burt anything you'd like to see?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, I don't think they would have a "beef" with you taking some photos of the airport. I wouldn't recommend going inside and taking photos, but a photo here and there outside shouldn't be a big deal. Yes, I know, I've got this thing with airports and aircraft. After I'm done with my Master's (in about 15 months or so), I'm going to get my pilot license. I'd love to work as an airport manager too. That would be one of my dream jobs, if you can believe it. I know it might sound silly, but...accept me for who I am, man! :rofl: By-the-way, my other dream job would be working for myself as a developer and building tall buildings! I also think that would be very cool!

Coup, how about some snaps of the Broad and Grace Street improvements downtown?

Also, has the paint been scraped off the Virginia Street side of Lady Bird.

If you exit Pocahontas Pkwy to head north on I-95, take a parachute! That exit ramp can scare the Hell out of an acrophobiac.

Also, Eric, you should be interested to know that a limited access highway is in the planning from Pocahontas Pkwy to the new airport terminal. You've been away so long you probably don't know about Pocahontas Pkwy. It's an extension of Chippenham across the James on a VERY high bridge and then continues all the way to an interchange with I-295 east of Sandston. :)

hey burt I think there is some info on that limited access road in the Richmond transportation section....Ill try to snap some shots of the broad/grace improvements

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you're right - there was a wonderful story about 895 and airport connector. I think it was before I got involved in this forum.

When you go out tomorrow or Monday, can you snap a pic or two of the Fed Court site? Joey-P and I would like to see. :)

Archived