Richmond in Pictures

eandslee

Your right burt I would love to see some pics of the Federal courts building.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Joey, Ryan has some pictures of the Fed Court site and its foundation in his new set of pictures. Go to home page of RCW and place ur curser over the thumbnail picture of the three old buildings on Main at 14th street, and it will bring up thumbnails of all 66 pictures. Just hit the ones you want to see in detail with ur curser.

All that is completed of the new Fec Court is the basic foundation.

Happy hunting! :)

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay here's a few pics I took over memorial day weekend. They are of the Virginia War Memorial. Nothing special but I hope you enjoy. I was gonna take a ton of downtown, but that Monday was so nice that I chilled with some friends down near belle island on the river instead :)

000_0108.jpg

000_0109.jpg

000_0110.jpg

000_0111.jpg

000_0112.jpg

A few pics I took today before that crazy downpour. hope you enjoy...

Lady Bird is coming along:

000_0114.jpg

000_0115.jpg

Construction has begun on the Lucky Strike Factory at the eastern end of Tobacco Row:

000_0116.jpg

000_0117.jpg

New townhouses on Broad near 20th st:

000_0118.jpg

6th St. Reopened:

000_0119.jpg

the foundation of the new Federal Courthouse on Broad St.

000_0120.jpg

Washington Monument at the Capitol...Old City Hall to the right, "New" City Hall peeking over at the top

000_0121.jpg

Old City Hall

000_0122.jpg

City Hall's recladding project is almost finished.

000_0124.jpg

I wanted to take a lot more but like I said, that rain defeated me...

some pics using the VCU Johnson webcam:

Cathedral of the Sacred Heart

SacredHeart.jpg

The Landmark Theatre and an Episcopal Church to its Right

Landmark.jpg

View from VCU looking east. Monroe Park at the bottom, condo towers and student housing and Park Place Apts in the middle with the CBD skyline in the distance.

VCUskyline.jpg

Various residential towers around Monroe Park

MonroeTowers.jpg

Really nice fotos from VCU's webcam. Monroe Park and its surroundings is so cosmopolitan. The Sacred Heart Cathedral, the Mosque-like Landmark Theatre and the old pre-war Prestwould high rise add a lot of class to the area.

Richmond's downtown is quite dense with something like 32,000 people living within a mile of Capitol Square. In the Southeastern US, that core density figure ranks third after Atlanta and Miami. My source is CitySkyscraper Southeast forum. :mellow:

Great new pictures, Coupe.

I see that the grey paint is being totally removed from Lady Bird.

Wonderful skyline shots thru the transparency of War Memorial.

Why, when all that nice re-cladding was done, did they not do something about the white hulk on the roof of City Hall? :)

Coupe. Re: your pics of June 8th, here are a few comments and questions.

When you snapped work beginning at Lucky Strike, did you happen to notice any town house construction on the Main Street side near Millie's? Somewhere I read that Forrest City, which is developing Tobacco Row, would be building a line of town houses in that area.

And is there any work at all going on at the Edgeworth building? I saw a rendering of it, but have never read that work had begun.

Amazing town house construction underway on Broad between 19th and 21st. Also, across the street on Broad, a new condo (pictured elsewhere) is almost finished. This residential work is in addition to recently completed condos on 19th between Broad and Grace incorporating an old Synagogue and across from In Your Ear's facade of saved houses. Then, further south at s/w corner of 19th and Grace are two restored beauties (across from the famous old Craig House sitting catty-cornered across the street). And also, new residential conversion work on the west side of 19th between Grace and Franklin. This area of the Bottom is teeming with residential construction. Not to forget the old Shockoe Arts complex in a tobacco warehouse on Grace between 21st and 22nd.

What is that brick-like strip down the middle of newly remodeled 6th street? Is it going to be planted, or is it just decor?

Again, thanks for the great photos.

Oh, one more question - has work begun on the tower portion of the old tobacco warehouse fronting on Cary between 19th and 20th? Everything surrounding the tower portion on the entire block - 19th 20th Main and Cary - has been restored and is called "Canal" something or other. B)

I dont remember townhouse construction yet but I could be wrong....I didn't see much work going on at the Edgeworth either, at least on the Cary st side. That bricklike strip along 6th st is a brick median. It extends from grace to broad. It is level with the street. and your last question...hmmm, I think maybe if its part of what is called the Canal Lofts or something to that nature.

• 4 weeks later...

okay here are some pics from vacation...this is from the mountains: wow Vdogg can you resize these? I dunno how to do that :)

some pics of the cabin which was totally awesome:

SummerVacation2005072.jpg

SummerVacation2005071.jpg

SummerVacation2005070.jpg

SummerVacation2005069.jpg

SummerVacation2005052.jpg

exterior...

SummerVacation2005063.jpg

SummerVacation2005064.jpg

view from the top deck:

SummerVacation2005061.jpg

from nearby (the first one is a little blurry I think):

SummerVacation2005053.jpg

SummerVacation2005066.jpg

At Ripley's Aquarium in Gatlinburg:

SummerVacation2005059.jpg

Gatlinburg, which in this picture kind of reminds me of a european village

SummerVacation2005060.jpg

will do....first though, I think I'll go ahead and head downtown. Any requests? I'm thinking of hitting the American Tobacco Center, the completed Riverside on the James, maybe the Vistas site if there is any activity, the courthouse site...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ooo, don't forget Philip Morris!

quick ?.....how can I resize my images so that some of them aren't huge when they are posted??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, don't know what to tell you. I have some software that is free that will resize your photos, but I've noticed that the quality decreases somewhat, especially when the resizing of the photos goes from huge to really small. You can still try it though. The free software is called "Easy Thumbnails". Here's a link:

Easy Thumbnails

Here are some pics from today:

The Lady Bird Hat Building is coming along nicely...They cut an entrance to the canal through 6 solid feet of rock foundation!

Richmond7_12_2005001.jpg

The main entrance to the office tower segment of ROTJ

Richmond7_12_2005002.jpg

Richmond7_12_2005003.jpg

A peak into the power plant portion of the project which is still under construction

Richmond7_12_2005004.jpg

Richmond7_12_2005005.jpg

This is such a beautiful building...it would make a great hotel or something right along the canal....

Richmond7_12_2005006.jpg

The view north from one of the bridges crossing onto brown's island now

Richmond7_12_2005007.jpg

I really dont think this looks as bad as everyone says...I actually kind of like it

Richmond7_12_2005008.jpg

looking west along the canal

Richmond7_12_2005009.jpg

Richmond7_12_2005010.jpg

interesting how they left the supports like this

Richmond7_12_2005011.jpg

The Omni is receiving some sort of face lift. There was scaffolding around the lower floors of the building and a sign saying that they were working on a fresh look...

Richmond7_12_2005012.jpg

The Martin Agency Headquarters

Richmond7_12_2005013.jpg

Bank of America tower from the slip

Richmond7_12_2005014.jpg

Richmond7_12_2005015.jpg

I'll put about 15 more on later...enjoy :)

part 2:

The Hard Shell Restaurant in Shockoe Slip

Richmond7_12_2005016.jpg

La Diff Furniture at the Turning Basin

Richmond7_12_2005017.jpg

Looking north down Virginia Street. The building on the right is HQ for First Market Bank. Morton's Steakhouse is also located there. To the left is condos and the HQ for CarLoan.com.

Richmond7_12_2005018.jpg

Looking across the turning basin to the site that will become Vistas on the James

Richmond7_12_2005019.jpg

View from near the Vistas site

Richmond7_12_2005020.jpg

The edgeworth building at Tobacco Row which will become office and retail. Still no real signs of work though......

Richmond7_12_2005021.jpg

looking down cary along Tobacco Row

Richmond7_12_2005022.jpg

View of the skyline from lot in front of Edgeworth...the end of the floodwall is in the foreground

Richmond7_12_2005023.jpg

American Tobacco Center:

Richmond7_12_2005024.jpg

Richmond7_12_2005025.jpg

Large surface lot across from the new PM research site....any guesses as to why this site is also being fenced off????

Richmond7_12_2005026.jpg

Philip Morris Research Facility site...they have done a lot of site work and lowered the ground considerably

Richmond7_12_2005027.jpg

Richmond7_12_2005028.jpg

This building is beautiful...I wish it could be restored into something. I'm sure it won't be long before that happens.

Richmond7_12_2005029.jpg

Federal Courthouse site is coming along well!!!

Richmond7_12_2005030.jpg

Richmond7_12_2005031.jpg

That's all folks!

Those photos were awesome! Thanks again man. You have no clue what that means to a guy who currently lives over 2000 miles away from his home! It's great to see those projects moving along. It won't be long before we see steal being erected at the federal courthouse site. In addition, there will probably be another tall crane at the PM site fairly soon too. Richmond is moving up! Sweet!

Archived