Richmond in Pictures

eandslee

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coupe, I REALLY love and anticipate yours and Ryan's pictures, but one thing that always sticks out is there never appear to be any people on the streets. They look so desolate which belies all of our talk about how "hot" Carytown (for instance) is.

Do me a favor next time u're out with your camera - find a street with lots of action and snap fast before the people disappear! hahahaha! :lol:

Electricmonk, where are your promised pictures??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It will be a couple more days. I've found a few of them but still need to scan them and I can't find some others. I used to have all my photos organized but over the years they've sort of wandered out of my files and are scattered into different boxes so when I try to find something specific it takes awhile. I really need to reorganize them. One of those rainy day projects I guess.

It will be a couple more days. I've found a few of them but still need to scan them and I can't find some others. I used to have all my photos organized but over the years they've sort of wandered out of my files and are scattered into different boxes so when I try to find something specific it takes awhile. I really need to reorganize them. One of those rainy day projects I guess.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK, monk. We'll wait. I'm really looking forward to them. :)

I'm thinking of taking some pics today (Sunday)....any requests?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes. How about the Park Plaza at Belvidere and Brandt Hall while you're in the nabe. Also, are the shops in Ramz Hall open yet? Any demolition on the new VCU Monroe campus?

If you happen to cross the river, I'm curious about the Venus Theater and other development on Hull street. :lol:

okay guys...I took a bunch of pics today. Here is round 1. Unfortunately, it was very overcast but I think they still turned out okay. Enjoy!

Brandt Hall for burt :)

July31Richmond001.jpg

Cathedral of the Sacred Heart

July31Richmond002.jpg

Brandt Hall

July31Richmond003.jpg

Landmark Theater and an Episcopal Church

July31Richmond004.jpg

Brandt and its older buddy Rhoads

July31Richmond005.jpg

Park Plaza at Belvidere for Burt

July31Richmond006.jpg

July31Richmond007.jpg

July31Richmond008.jpg

along Franklin St.:

July31Richmond009.jpg

July31Richmond010.jpg

July31Richmond011.jpg

Penny Lane Pub:

July31Richmond012.jpg

John Marshall:

July31Richmond013.jpg

July31Richmond014.jpg

July31Richmond015.jpg

Miller & Rhoads

July31Richmond016.jpg

July31Richmond017.jpg

Need I say anything :)

July31Richmond018.jpg

Fed. Courthouse site:

July31Richmond019.jpg

Poe Statue in Capitol Square:

July31Richmond020.jpg

Old Fed. Courthouse

July31Richmond021.jpg

July31Richmond022.jpg

Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel

July31Richmond023.jpg

Nice urban walls

July31Richmond024.jpg

Times-Dispatch HQ

July31Richmond025.jpg

Media General HQ

July31Richmond026.jpg

More coming later!

btw...I don't think the retail at RAMZ is fully leased but the building is finished...Didnt get a chance to check out the expansion area for the monroe campus....and didn't get a chance to check out the venus theater. but I did eat lunch at the river city diner on main for the first time.....verrrry cool atmosphere. the curving seating in the balconies and the old fashioned diner feel were great!.

okay...here's the second installment. I hope the last ones were okay. didn't get much feedback. anyways, enjoy!

Can't wait till this is fully restored:

July31Richmond027.jpg

July31Richmond028.jpg

The bow-tie block:

July31Richmond029.jpg

Entrance cut into the foundation of the lady bird

July31Richmond030.jpg

Canal Walk

July31Richmond031.jpg

Christopher Newport Monument

July31Richmond032.jpg

Took these next two from inside the parking deck of ROTJ:

July31Richmond033.jpg

July31Richmond034.jpg

man I wish the sky was better that day...

July31Richmond035.jpg

July31Richmond036.jpg

Changed slightly since last time:

July31Richmond037.jpg

Okay this area is behind a fence that is up between the powerplant and the canal walk.... I'm not sure what they are gonna do but there are lines cut into the walls as if they are going to break through and I suspect it may become an outdoor patio for a restaurant or something.

July31Richmond038.jpg

July31Richmond039.jpg

July31Richmond040.jpg

Berkeley Hotel

July31Richmond041.jpg

Shockoe Slip....

July31Richmond042.jpg

Looking back at the business district from the slip:

July31Richmond043.jpg

the slip:

July31Richmond044.jpg

July31Richmond045.jpg

July31Richmond046.jpg

July31Richmond047.jpg

canal boat in action!

July31Richmond048.jpg

July31Richmond049.jpg

great saying on this flood wall mural....

July31Richmond050.jpg

There were about 4 cranes on the PM site....they are working fast as hell!

July31Richmond051.jpg

July31Richmond053.jpg

Convention Center looking down 5th st...its huge!

July31Richmond052.jpg

and the UNOS HQ reflected off the State Consolidated Labs as the finale

July31Richmond054.jpg

hope you enjoy!

I love these pictures and want to comment on each one, but how? Wish we could write under them.

Let me try to figure out how to do it and I'll be back.

Meanwhile, Guy wants you to contact him about sizing (see today's comments in HR Off-Topic).

Anyway, here's my first comment - Brandt is a helluva lot better looking than his old buddy! :lol:

These were a great set of photos! My son was sitting on my lap while I was looking at the photos and his favorite was the one of the canal boat. He's only 3, but I have to agree with him on that one because there were actually people on the boat (and it was full!)! I think that the Philip Morris project will be going a lot faster because they have a short time to get the building up and running! Thanks again for the photos! They were awesome!

btw...I don't think the retail at RAMZ is fully leased but the building is finished...Didnt get a chance to check out the expansion area for the monroe campus....and didn't get a chance to check out the venus theater. but I did eat lunch at the river city diner on main for the first time.....verrrry cool atmosphere. the curving seating in the balconies and the old fashioned diner feel were great!.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

River City Diner is a fun place on a busy day. And they make great milk shakes!

OK - here are my comments on the first installment only - and I'm doing it by the numbers:

1. and 5. Brandt building really looks neat in both shots (even with ugly buddy)

2. The Cathedral. I mean what can you say about that? It is such a wonderful Romanesque building, and the pointed site on which it sits makes it even more interesting. It's the beginning of The Fan.

4. The contrast of the Landmark Theatre's Arabian look with its neighbors gives Monroe Park such a cosmopolitan feel. Incidentally, the Holy Trinity Episcopal church used to have a higher more interesting tower. The town houses on Laurel Street to the right of Holy Trinity thankfully have been saved.

6 7 & 8. The Park Plaza at Belvidere Street is coming right along. Wonder how they're going to face the building? With brick, do you think?

10. Aha! The old Chesterfield Apartment House. How well I remember it from my old VCU (then RPI) days! When built, the apartments had no kitchens, just small pantries. That's why the Tea Room was so popular for so long. I suppose kitchens have been added by now.

11. The Old Mann-Valentine house at 1st and Franklin is now home to the Garden Club of Virginia. When built, it did not have that beautiful portico.

12. Penny Lane Pub is in that great New Orleans style building at 5th and Franklin. Pity they have to post that unsightly "Available" sign.

13, 14 & 15. The glorious old John Marshall Hotel at 5th and Franklin catty corner from Penny Lane. New life for the old girl with its conversion to condos. And I hope they can keep the rooftop electric sign (tho I think new City code prohibits such signs, but maybe they'll consider this one "grandfathered").

16 & 17. Different views of Miller & Rhoads. I like the 6th and Grace view (#16). Apparently the main entrance will be a curving driveway at 5th and Broad (#17).

18. Yes coupe, need anybody say anything about CNB?!!. Well, apparently someone at RCW thinks it should be demolished! There's no accounting for taste. Many thanks to Mr. Jamal.

19. The new Federal Court House arising in the entire block of Broad/Grace/7th/8th. Notice my favorite theatre in town, the National, in the background (that's because as a teenybopper I used to go there every Thursday night to see the new vaudeville show and movie). Do you suppose the new Phillip Morris research Center will rise into sight behind the National?

20. Mr. Edgar Allen Poe relaxing in Capital Square.

21. The old Federal Courthouse will still function as a courthouse, I understand, after the new one opens. I think the more prestigious cases will be heard there. I'm surprised they didn't have to dig up the fountain during all the rebuilding. It's beautiful.

22. That's the American Heritage apartment house behind the courthouse. I hope it has rented all of it 55+ units.

23. The Commonwealth Park Suites for several years after its 1980's refurbishment enjoyed an AAA 5 Diamond rating. It's still nice and is home to quite a few lawmakers when General Assembly is in session. Originally, it was called Rugers Hotel and its basement Chop House was famous.

24. This canyon is 9th street looking south from Bank Street.

25. The new Times Dispatch building on north side of Franklin between 3rd and 4th. Thank God they didn't move everything out to Hanover!

26. Media General, the holding company for RTD and numerous other newspapers and TV stations, is directly across Franklin from the newspaper office.

Tomorrow I'll discuss the newest batch of coupe's wonderful photographs.

burt I am very glad of that. In fact, I just finished watching this awesome show about Richmond on the local pbs station called Richmond Memories. It talked about saturday morning westerns at the Venus and christmas parades on Hull st. in Manchester. It talked about neighborhood football games in churchill and oregon hill. It spent a long time talking about grace and broad, esp Miller&Rhoads and Thalhimer's. I'm so sad those beautiful treasures are gone. What the hell happened here between the golden years and today? How did we possibly let our city slide like that? Seeing the part about the Miller&Rhoads and Thalhimers closing damn near brought a tear to my eyes. I barely remember them as a kid because my mom would bring me downtown to see the legendary santa. I have some ideas about the Miller&Rhoads which I'll share in the development section. You know, I've shared my pictures with my dad, family friends, my girlfriends parents etc....now they are all begging me to take them downtown on a tour to see everthing. Funny how my generation is returning to what the previous ones fled from:) man I love this city :)

These were a great set of photos!  My son was sitting on my lap while I was looking at the photos and his favorite was the one of the canal boat.  He's only 3, but I have to agree with him on that one because there were actually people on the boat (and it was full!)!  I think that the Philip Morris project will be going a lot faster because they have a short time to get the building up and running!  Thanks again for the photos!  They were awesome!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks man! I'm glad your son picked up on that pic. For such a horrible day, there were a decent amount of people out.

OK. Comments on the second installment - again by the numbers:

1.. The John Marshall again. There was a small beer bar on the 5th street side that we all called "The Passion Pit". Lots of dates were arranged there at Happy Hour.

2. This is the original 4th street section of the old News Leader, Richmond's afternoon daily. The Times Dispatch was in a high rise (now demolished) on the west side of 10th street between Main and Cary. The two papers merged and both operated out of the 4th and Grace street building.

3. Hmmmm. The Bow Tie property. Excuse my lack of enthusiasm, but I don't envisage a high rise here, as much as I'd like to see one. I just don't think high rises are BowTie's specialty. Maybe a nice 4 or 5 screen cinema and some suburban housing with retail and parking. We'll see.

4. That was one thick wall they cut thru at Ladybird to make this doorway to the Canal Walk. I predict a lot of swinging activity here very soon.

5. There's no excuse for the trash in this canal lock. It should be tended to daily.

6. This Christopher Newport monument has been moved several times. It used to be on Gamble's Hill (Ethyl property). Now, it's at the foot of 12th street at Haxall Millrace across from ROTJ's Power Plant.

7 & 8. A view of CSX's double track line behind ROTJ and a nice view of the riprap bank on the south side of the James. Do you think the Southern States Silo can really be converted to condos? Looks a bit fragile.

9. Part of the Alcoa property with skyline behind.

10 & 11. More of ROTJ. Do they allow cars to park in the plaza area? Wonder if tenants have moved into the residential tower?

12. Yes, obviously, doorways are going to be cut from the interior of the Power Plant to this open-air area, and I suspect the wall between this section and the canal walk will go.

13. Look at the people getting ready to cross the dam at foot of 12th street to begin their walk along the canal at the Power Plant.

14. Nice shot of James Center, tho the glass towers sort of make me dizzy. This shot shows downtown's density.

15. The Berkley Hotel. It's nice to have a table in it's wonderful restaurant and watch the passing parade in the Slip. Some proper old Richmonders call it The BARKLEY.

16. North side of Cary between 12th and 13th in the Slip. You'll find 4 good restaurants here - Sam Millers, The Tap House, Richbrau Brewery and La Grotta.

17. Looking west on Cary from the Omni Hotel at 12th street.

18. The inimitable Tobacco Company. Still packing 'em in after 25 years.

19. Another view of north side of Cary 12th to 13th.

20. The quaint yellow/beige building used to be headquarters for the furniture company called THIS END UP. Further up the street is an uscale condo (midrise) with Kobe Japanese Steak & Sushi House on the ground level, and even further up toward Main is that charming row of portals.

21. Morton's, and in the foreground, the patio of Sine (pronounced Shee-nay) Irish Pub at Canal and Virginia streets.

22. A canal boat seemingly headed right to the shoreline. ABANDON SHIP!!!

23. The wonderful old Ladybird building undergoing much needed refurbishment after languising so long. It will open in December as the swinging Richmond version of Toad's Place, a famous Yale hang-out in New Haven (unless it changes names). Nice view of ROTJ in the background.

25 & 26. Phillip Morris Research Center in the double blocks bound by Leigh/5th/Jackson/7th behind the Richmond Coliseum. It's going to be a REAL boost for downtown.

27. The huge big Convention Center which some on RCW love to malign. I am not among them. It, too, will be (if it is not already) a boon for downtown.

Well, that covers it. Ciao!

:)

I always enjoy your commentary burt...thanks :thumbsup:

No one has moved into the residential portion of ROTJ yet....will soon though. Cars can pull up to the plaza area to drop people off/pick up..

burt, I don't think that the bowtie block will be suburban. May not be a highrise, but it may have rowhouses or condos on 3-5 floors....I still hope itll be a highrise though!

Thanks Monk.  The James Center.  Probably the small crane (foreground) was for the garage covering the Downtown Expressway, but what was the big crane for?  hmmmm?  Could it have been for Riverfront Plaza?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

PS. Monk, I recently enjoyed a batch of Roanoke pictures you had up on the Roanoke thread. Thanks :lol:

Archived