Richmond in Pictures

eandslee

I always enjoy your commentary burt...thanks :thumbsup:

No one has moved into the residential portion of ROTJ yet....will soon though. Cars can pull up to the plaza area to drop people off/pick up..

burt, I don't think that the bowtie block will be suburban. May not be a highrise, but it may have rowhouses or  condos on 3-5 floors....I still hope itll be a highrise though!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Coupe. I've edited #3 to clarify that I too would like to see a high rise. :)

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I plan to take some pics today as long as the weather is friendly. Hopefully I'll have them up by tomorrow afternoon....as always, any requests => stick em in here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can't think of anything specific, bit I'm sure you'll bring back some good ones. You might go down to Main and Pear streets to see if Forest City has started on the row of town houses along Main. :)

okay here's part 1 of 4.... this is mostly Byrd Park and Maymont Park.... enjoy! I'll post the rest later :)

The Carillon, Virginia's Monument to WWI

August7Richmond001.jpg

Christopher Columbus Monument at Byrd Park

August7Richmond003.jpg

Fountain Lake

August7Richmond004.jpg

August7Richmond005.jpg

The rest are of just a small area of what Maymont Park has to offer...

August7Richmond006.jpg

August7Richmond007.jpg

Maymont House

August7Richmond008.jpg

August7Richmond009.jpg

Japanese Gardens

August7Richmond010.jpg

August7Richmond011.jpg

August7Richmond012.jpg

August7Richmond014.jpg

August7Richmond015.jpg

The name of this garden slips my mind..

August7Richmond016.jpg

August7Richmond017.jpg

August7Richmond018.jpg

August7Richmond019.jpg

This is just outside of the back entrance to Maymont Park...It has to do with Eastern Standard Time... I had never seen nor heard of it before but it was pretty cool:

August7Richmond020.jpg

Now let's move to the Museum District...this is The United Daughters of the Confederacy

August7Richmond021.jpg

August7Richmond022.jpg

enjoy! I'll post more later :thumbsup:

I love the photos! Maymont is one of my favorite places to go in Richmond! I have many memories as a kid running around Maymont enjoying the animals, the gardens, and the cool horse carriages they have at the mansion there! Now, they have a nature center (indoor) which I have been to maybe twice since it was built. Not bad for a guy who currently lives in Montana! :lol:

okay after that beautiful sampling of Maymont, let's continue on....

The Virginia Historical Society which is in the midst of a major expansion...

August7Richmond023.jpg

August7Richmond024.jpg

Virginia Museum of Fine Arts which is to begin a $120+ expansion soon

August7Richmond025.jpg

Along the Boulevard

August7Richmond026.jpg

To the rear of the VMFA, is what used to be the Confederate Widows Home (it's currently used by VMFA...no more widows left :))

August7Richmond027.jpg

Confederate Memorial Chapel next to the former Widows Home

August7Richmond028.jpg

Neat house on Grove Ave, nearby

August7Richmond029.jpg

................................................................................

And now we begin the great Monument Avenue :)

Jefferson Davis Monument

August7Richmond030.jpg

Architecture Center of Virginia, located in the Branch House, the largest Mansion on Monument Ave.

August7Richmond031.jpg

A few mansions...note the multiple architectural styles

August7Richmond032.jpg

August7Richmond033.jpg

Looking down the median of the grand avenue

August7Richmond034.jpg

more mansions....

August7Richmond035.jpg

August7Richmond036.jpg

August7Richmond037.jpg

August7Richmond038.jpg

The Robert E. Lee Monument (great traffic circle btw)

August7Richmond039.jpg

August7Richmond040.jpg

Stuart Circle from all 4 corners...The J.E.B. Stuart Monument in the middle of course

August7Richmond041.jpg

August7Richmond042.jpg

Formerly Stuart Circle Hospital, this is now luxury apartments (they even have a door man lol

August7Richmond043.jpg

August7Richmond045.jpg

Looking to the east as Monument becomes Franklin St. which leads all the way to the grounds of the State Capitol.

August7Richmond044.jpg

....***to be continued***.... hope you enjoy!

***SIGH*** Those where great...it's like I was home there for a while. I love the architecture, the atmosphere...just the beauty of it all! I did noticed that you happened to catch an airplane flying in the your Jefferson Davis Monument photos...Nice touch! :D Thanks for sharing those photos!

Great pictures, as usual, coupe. I'll add comments later.

One question, however. Why are those little boxes with red exes in there at the Stuart Circle segment? I have learned how to click right to "show pictures", but am curious as to why they are there.

I will add here that the Maymont garden you cannot identify is the Italian Garden; however, correct me if I'm wrong.

Another thing, and this has nothing to do with pictures - Is "yea" the new "in" way of saying "Yes"? I notice that young people use it a lot lately - sort of like "yo", or in my youth "yep" and "yeah". :lol:

Great pictures, as usual, coupe.  I'll add comments later.

One question, however.  Why are those little boxes with red exes in there at the Stuart Circle segment?  I have learned how to click right to "show pictures", but am curious as to why they are there.

I will add here that the Maymont garden you cannot identify is the Italian Garden; however, correct me if I'm wrong.

Another thing, and this has nothing to do with pictures - Is "yea" the new "in" way of saying "Yes"?  I notice that young people use it a lot lately - sort of like "yo", or in my youth "yep" and "yeah". :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think "yeah" is what people are trying to type, but sometimes the "h" gets left off. :whistling:

What the heck, I'll keep em coming. if you missed the first pictures from sunday...go back a page. okay anyways enjoy!

This was a really cool house I spotted just of Monument.

August7Richmond046.jpg

Stonewall Jackson Monument at Monument and the Boulevard

August7Richmond047.jpg

Fairly new mansion in the background

August7Richmond048.jpg

Matthew Maury Monument

August7Richmond049.jpg

and last but certainly not least, the Arthur Ashe monument

August7Richmond050.jpg

Some notable architecture near Arthur Ashe:

August7Richmond051.jpg

August7Richmond052.jpg

The Jefferson, Richmond's 5-star, 5-diamond hotel

August7Richmond053.jpg

August7Richmond054.jpg

this just had a nice urban feel to it. I believe it's 9th street just south of Bank st.

August7Richmond055.jpg

Skywalk from old Federal Courthouse to Old Post Office

August7Richmond056.jpg

Bank of America Center

August7Richmond057.jpg

Fountain at BofA..the artwork in the background is actually a mosaic.

August7Richmond058.jpg

I love these buildings along Main st

August7Richmond059.jpg

Looking down to the VCU Medical Center (MCV)

August7Richmond060.jpg

can't get enough of this thing...

August7Richmond061.jpg

allllllright....that's it for round 3...hope you enjoyed and I'll post the final round later.

OK. My comments, by the numbers, on the first set of pictures:

1. The Carillon in Byrd Park near Dogwood Dell. It's Virginia's official World War I monument and stands about 250 feet tall. It was meant to have a reflecting pool but it was never installed, tho a couple of hurricanes have filled the depression over the years.

2. The Christopher Columbus Monument, but I swear it looks as if it has been moved to me. It used to be at the end of The Boulevard in Byrd Park at the base of the Reservoir hill. Is it still there? If so, where is the reservoir hill behind it? Maybe it's just the angle at which the pic was taken. Anyway, I like it, though personally, I had hoped they WOULD move it somewhere else and replace it with an Arthur Ashe Monument. It is adjacent to the tennis courts at which he was not allowed to play in segregation days. THE Boulevard could have finally got a proper name - Arthur Ashe Boulevard running from the Ashe Center near the Diamond to his statue at Byrd Park. Don't know why that was never seriously considered in all that hullabaloo years ago.

3. & 4. The Boat Lake - the first of three lakes in Byrd Park (Boat, Swan & Sheilds). In the halcyon days of yore when I lived in the Fan, I used to walk my cocker spaniel (Patsy) to the park. She loved to swim in Boat Lake, tho once I was reprimanded for allowing it. Do they still have the paddle boats? And is it still beautifully illuminated at night?

5. & 6. Look at the beautiful English boxwood in front of the Maymont stable, and the nice fountain!

7. & 8. Two views (side and front) of the Dooley House in Maymont. Mr. and Mrs. Dooley donated this immense estate and its parklands to the City. It is extraordinarily maintained, and the new Nature Center (not shown) is very popular and a great addition to the park.

9. 10, 11. 12. & 13. Lovely shots of the Japanese Garden down in the bottom of the park near the RR tracks and the canal.

14. 15. 16 & 17. The waterfall is flowing along its stone embankment from the Italian Rose Garden down to the Japanese Garden. There are the arbor, other views of the Italian section and a sort of Roman Gazebo.

18. I don't remember ever noticing the "Time" monument near the Maymont entrance.

19. & 20. The rather mauseleum-style headquarters of the United Daughters of the Confederacy on The Boulevard at about Stuart Avenue - between the Va. Museum of Fine Arts and Virginia Historical Society (The Battle Abbey).

OK. End of 1st segment. :)

Columbus is still there, same goes for the paddleboats. There were about 6 or 7 paddleboats out in the lake when I was there but they escaped my picture.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How about the multi-colored illumination of the fountain after dark? Take a picture of that on one of your nocturnal excursions. :lol:

Coupe I think you should be a Photographer you do good wit a Camera me on the other hand I suck with Cameras. But really nice pictures Coupe If you could try and get me some more pictures of the Phillip Morris Research Site because the Last ones you had with Phillip Morris on there it would'nt show up all it had was a big red X.

Coupe I think you should be a Photographer you do good wit a Camera me on the other hand I suck with Cameras. But really nice pictures Coupe If you could try and get me some more pictures of the Phillip Morris Research Site because the Last ones you had with Phillip Morris on there it would'nt show up all it had was a big red X.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The red exes that were in the Stuart Circle area have disappeared. What DO those little things mean (the red x in a little box)? :blink:

okay guys heres the fourth and final segment from the 8/7/05 pics...enjoy!

George Washington Monument at the Capitol

August7Richmond062.jpg

Sculpture at the James Center, Dominion HQ in the background

August7Richmond063.jpg

Reflection off part of James Center

August7Richmond064.jpg

Clock Tower in front of the Wachovia Tower at James Center

August7Richmond065.jpg

from near Kanawha Plaza

August7Richmond066.jpg

Kanawha Plaza with the Federal Reserve

August7Richmond067.jpg

Entrance and artwork/fountain at Federal Reserve

August7Richmond068.jpg

Again from Kanawha Plaza...the irregular-shaped parking lot in the foreground is BEGGING for a trademark highrise. It's such a prime location on the skyline too...

August7Richmond069.jpg

Confederate Soldiers and Sailors Monument on Libby Hill in Churchill

August7Richmond070.jpg

Downtown from Libby Hill

August7Richmond071.jpg

I've always liked this building near Main St Station:

August7Richmond077.jpg

New Mural welcoming all to Shockoe Bottom on Main across from MSS

August7Richmond076.jpg

Coal Train passing MSS

August7Richmond075.jpg

And last but not least...Main Street Station. Richmond's future multimodal transportation center.

August7Richmond078.jpg

I'm working on a panoramic I tried to take (first time I've done that). I'll try to see how that works out. Anyways, thats all of them so I hope you enjoy :thumbsup:

Comments on Section 2 of Worldcoupe4's four-part Picture Essay of Sunday, Aug. 7th, '05:

1. & 2. This is what used to be known as Battle Abbey and is now Va. Historical Society on Boulevard at Kensington. This building and its neighbor a few blocks south, The Va. Museum of Fine Arts, will retain their classic central buildings while undergoing major expansions which will vastly alter their footprints.

3. This is the original frontage of The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts on The Boulevard at Grove Avenue. Wings to the south, north and west have been added over the years, and it is about to begin its largest and most important expansion. Already it enjoys a reputation as one of the Nation's leading art institutions, but, unquestionably, it will be World-ranked both for its collections and design by 2008.

4. This picture is representative of the row of low-rise apartment buildings along The Boulevard from Broad Street to Byrd Park. Many of these buildings have undergone rejuvenation by a company known as Pierce-Arrow. The Boulevard is considered a very good address.

5. The old Confederate Widows' Home facing on Shepard Street. The Va. Museum took over this classical structure after the last widow moved on, redesigned it and relocated many of its administrative activities here. This is a view of the rear of the building which sits on land owned by the art museum and which will be developed as a sculpture garden. A large land-scaped parking structure is being built on the property.

6. The old Chapel is also on Museum property, which at one time was the site of the Old Confederate Veterans encampment. The Chapel will remain in the new Sculpture Garden.

7. One of a few remaining (and altered) Princess Anne style houses on Grove Avenue across from VAMUS.

8. The Jefferson Davis Memorial at Monument and Davis Avenues. What is that ghost-like spire slightly right of center in the background? Could it be the tower of Channel 6 (WTVR-TV-CBS) several blocks west on Broad street? Note the airliner high in the sky.

9. The Branch House, now Richmond's newest Museum - dedicated to Architecture. This wonderful old house is NOT one of those dismantled in England and rebuilt in Richmond, though there are two 15th and/or 16th Century homes that were - Agecroft and The Virginia House in Windsor Farms - both open to the public.

10. This mansion is at S/E corner of Monument and Davis avenues across from The Branch House.

11. Helen Marie Taylor lived (may still?) in this grand Mediterranean house. She is famous for saving the Belgian block roadway by standing defiantly in front of a steam-roller which was on orders from the City to repave the famous Avenue. It may be a bumpy ride, but kudos to Ms. Taylor!

12. The median. Note the cannon about midway down the street.

13. Another Mediterranean house on the Avenue.

14. And across the street, a wonderful Tudor style residence.

15. And a Georgian house designed (I'm sure) by Bottomly.

16. An early Monument Avenue apartment house at S/E corner of Monument and (I think) Allison street which after a jog, one block south, becomes Strawberry Street.

17. General's Lee memorial - erected on this spot when it was a corn field.

18. Lee Circle at Monument and Allen Avenues. Frequently, midsummer, there are a number of attractive swim-suit clad youngsters sunning here. Not this day, apparently!

19. Stuart Circle - the beginning (or end, depending on your orientation) of Monument Avenue. Note Jeb facing north on his steed. Some say this directional means he was killed in battle as with Stonewall at Monument and The Boulevard. You may have noted that RELee's horse is heading South. The wonderful white apartment tower, Stuart Court, is one of my favorite high-rise residential buildings in Richmond - others being The Tuckahoe on Cary Street Road across from the Country Club of Virginia, The Prestwould, and Johnson Hall (formerly Monroe Terrace) both on Franklin near VCU.

20. There are (unless they have changed denominations) two Lutheran churches on the circle. This one, I think, was the German Lutheran at S/W arc.

21. Old Stuart Circle Hospital now known, if you please, as Number One Monument Avenue. Slightly beyond it in this foto at the Tudor-ish looking apartment house, is the western end of one of my favorite Richmond streets - West Avenue. It's an enclave of proud (and wealthy) families who guard against encroachment. They even have their own "Mayor".

22. This, I think, is the English Lutheran Church at the S/E arc of the circle. Or used to be.

23. The beginning (or end, depending on your orientation) of Franklin Street which is at the end (or beginning..... oh well!!!) of Monument Avenue. That's the spire of St. James Episcopal church down the road.

End of comments on Section Two.

Archived