Charleston Photos

Spartan

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Spartan, that picture of what you thought was City Hall is not City Hall. That is the main DT Post Office building and federal courthouse. Across that street, which is Broad Street, is a less impressive 3-story building that is City Hall. It looks like a large, historic 3-story house.

It currently is undergoing a $5 million renovation project, so when you go there, you might see scaffolding all around it.

Thanks for the correction! I have some pics of City Hall and the Courthouse, not that I know what it what. I'll post them when I get a chance. Wasn't City Hall the former state house way back?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think so, but I could be wrong. I believe that the old state house is what is now known as the Customs and Exchange building. It is a classical government building with huge columns on East Bay and Market Streets.

But I might be wrong in that! Sometimes that happens... :D

I don't think so, but I could be wrong. I believe that the old state house is what is now known as the Customs and Exchange building. It is a classical government building with huge columns on East Bay and Market Streets.

But I might be wrong in that! Sometimes that happens...  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually the renovated Charleston County Courthouse (part of 4 corners of law at Broad and Meeting Streets) was Charleston's new STATE HOUSE of SC before the capital was planned and moved to Columbia. Construction of Charleston's new US Customs House started shortly before the Civil War, replacing the Old Exchange Building at Broad & East Bay. Of course the War of Northern Aggression delayed construction. The handsome Old Exchange was the last public building that the British built in Charleston during the colonial period.

4 Corners of Law at Meeting and Broad Streets:

City Hall - City law

PO, US Courthouse - Federal law

St. Michael's - God's law

County Courthouse-County law

• 4 weeks later...

Just came across a cool picture of the Charleston skyline, but it lacks many other buildings that give it density. Quite a few 13-story buildings are missing. The building on the far right of the picture is Charleston's tallest building, Dockside Condominiums.

Click here for the picture

I just got my pictures of the skyline from the Holiday Inn, and I will post them very soon!

• 1 month later...

Finally, ladies and gentlemen, I have the ability to post my photos. Many people see Charleston in the light of a historic, charming town. Well, that is true, but Charleston does have a decent skyline, which I think can be enhanced and added on to make it impressive. Anyway, I took these pictures from the below Charleston Riverview Holiday Inn. I hope you like them!

Charleston Riverview Holiday Inn

43ec4487.jpg

Charleston Skyline from the Ashley River featuring the DT medical complex

b6e3c3d5.jpg

I tried to get the shot with the apartment building to the far right. I need phototaking classes! :D

Aprilpics003.jpg

Here is the skyline looking more towards the historic district. Notice the church steeples here. THIS is where they should preserve the buildings. Closer to the medical complex, they could build taller buildings.

6897ab48.jpg

Here is the awesome new Cooper River bridge a little closer

c5934274.jpg

These are probably the best shots oc Charleston I have seen as of yet. Especially considering how hard it is to see Charleston's skyline. Kudos on the pics. My favorite view of the city is coming over the bridge on the right.

These will make some great desktop pics ;)

It's good to see a few people have come here to see more pics. Thanks for the compliments. And BTW, I noticed some people have used Cola pics to show what they would like for the skyline. I'd like for people here to use my pics of Charleston for the same reason; to use these pics and maybe graphically add a few taller buildings on the pics to understand what a taller DT would look like. You can stay away from the historic area if you like! ;) I don't have the ability nor expertise to change and add images to pics...so please help me out with that. Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

Finally, ladies and gentlemen, I have the ability to post my photos. Many people see Charleston in the light of a historic, charming town. Well, that is true, but Charleston does have a decent skyline, which I think can be enhanced and added on to make it impressive. Anyway, I took these pictures from the below Charleston Riverview Holiday Inn. I hope you like them!

Charleston Riverview Holiday Inn

43ec4487.jpg

Charleston Skyline from the Ashley River featuring the DT medical complex

b6e3c3d5.jpg

I tried to get the shot with the apartment building to the far right. I need phototaking classes!  :D

Aprilpics003.jpg

Here is the skyline looking more towards the historic district. Notice the church steeples here. THIS is where they should preserve the buildings. Closer to the medical complex, they could build taller buildings.

6897ab48.jpg

Here is the awesome new Cooper River bridge a little closer

c5934274.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

These are absolutely beautiful Photos, ya'll!

I just spent a few extremely soggy days walking around down on King Street, Meeting Street, East Bay, and Market Streets....my shoes (and shocks) are still drying out :lol:

So this is what Charleston looks like with blue skies B) We stayed at the Residence Inn in East Ashley, near the Holiday Inn where these photos were taken...the view was almost as nice, but not quite. I'll definitely visit Charleston again...it was a beautiful old city, in spite of the weather!

These are probably the best shots oc Charleston I have seen as of yet. Especially considering how hard it is to see Charleston's skyline. Kudos on the pics. My favorite view of the city is coming over the bridge on the right.

These will make some great desktop pics ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This past week, I formulated a theory that some good skyline photos can be had from the deck of the USS Yorktown at Patriots Point. Does anyone have any shots of the skyline from that angle? If I ever should find myself in Charleston with good weather, I may set out to prove my theory :silly:

Some photos of Charleston taken on June 27th and 28th:

View of Charleston from across the Ashley River:

chas_0016.jpg

King Street:

chas_0017.jpg

Market Street Scenes:

chas_0020.jpg

chas_0023.jpg

chas_0026.jpg

chas_0012.jpg

Church Street Scenes:

chas_0024.jpg

chas_0025.jpg

Battery Scenes:

chas_0028.jpg

chas_0029.jpg

chas_0030.jpg

Scooner Pride sails Charleston Harbor with Fort Sumpter in the Background:

chas_0027.jpg

Views from atop a Parking Garage near East Bay along the Cooper River (Edit: some BMW Z4s and X5s from the Upstate await Export in the top photo):

chas_0015.jpg

chas_0014.jpg

chas_0013.jpg

East Bay and Waterfront Park Scenes:

chas_0010.jpg

chas_0009.jpg

chas_0008.jpg

chas_0007.jpg

chas_0006.jpg

Aquarium Wharf Scenes:

chas_0001.jpg

chas_0002.jpg

chas_0004.jpg

chas_0003.jpg

chas_0005.jpg

Loved your photos of Charleston, "Native"... The new bridge looks impressive! What does it look like in the night? Too bad, the Grace & Pearman will soon be history; they, too, look impressive in your pics.

It's been years since I've been to Charleston. Just how many marinas are there now on the Ashley and why so many???

Archived