Charleston Photos

Spartan

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Loved your photos of Charleston, "Native"... The new bridge looks impressive! What does it look like in the night? Too bad, the Grace & Pearman will soon be history; they, too, look impressive in your pics.

It's been years since I've been to Charleston. Just how many marinas are there now on the Ashley and why so many???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, glad you liked them! I finally got to drive and walk on the new bridge this past weekend. The view is amazing, and the bridge is great. I have one disappointment, though: the bridge tower lights were turned off! I was expecting to see the towers lit up at night, they were completely black. Leave it to the fricking environmentalists to save every sea turtle from thinking the bridge would be sunlight. :blink:

Anyway, to answer your question, there are now about 4 marinas on the Ashley. The new condo complex has their own marina, and the city marina and Ripley Light have added more slips. They're actually marketing a real estate concept which is quite unique: it combines the ownership of a condo, but the owner actually owns a slip for a permanent home for the boat. If you go to the Post and Courier's website, an ad can usually be seen in the middle of the page. The boat slip market is hot since real estate values for condos and houses are so high.

• 2 weeks later...

Though not from Charleston or South Carolina, but its northern sibling, I still find Charleston to be one of my favorite Carolina cities. Are there any up close pics of King Street or Charleston Place. I have heard that it is one of the more fashionable areas. Any info on this?

So my girlfriend and I went to Charleston this past weekend and here is some of what we saw:

post-1-1123697162_thumb.jpg

post-1-1123697185_thumb.jpg

post-1-1123697260_thumb.jpgpost-1-1123697271_thumb.jpgpost-1-1123697338_thumb.jpg

post-1-1123697382_thumb.jpgpost-1-1123697395_thumb.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Favorite shots of your outstanding work...so much to see in the ironworks & red-brick house, a Spanish moss covered tree in an overgrown cemetary; I could gaze an eternity at views of Charleston spires & rooftops set against the harbor ...

I went to Chucktown the other day. I took a few photos. I was there to visit some friends, not the city, so most of these were taken as we drove around. Enjoy.

Demolition over the Meeting St. Exit.

cityCharlestonSC_summer05_002_sm.jpg

Meeting St Looking South at either Columbus St or Mary St

cityCharlestonSC_summer05_003_sm.jpg

King & Calhoun looking south down King

cityCharlestonSC_summer05_005_sm.jpg

King looking south

cityCharlestonSC_summer05_007_sm.jpg

cityCharlestonSC_summer05_008_sm.jpg

Market St.

cityCharlestonSC_summer05_009_sm.jpg

A weird Bank of America

cityCharlestonSC_summer05_010_sm.jpg

Ashely River Bridge (westbound)

cityCharlestonSC_summer05_011_sm.jpg

I am not sure which street this is. Possibly Wentworth St.

cityCharlestonSC_summer05_024_sm.jpg

Rainbow Row

cityCharlestonSC_summer05_026_sm.jpg

East Bay St

cityCharlestonSC_summer05_027_sm.jpg

US Customs House

cityCharlestonSC_summer05_028_sm.jpg

Columbus St.

cityCharlestonSC_summer05_030_sm.jpg

Old Bridges from the new one

cityCharlestonSC_summer05_031_sm.jpg

cityCharlestonSC_summer05_034_sm.jpg

New one. There is a guy walking if you look really hard :)

cityCharlestonSC_summer05_035_sm.jpg

I was going for the artistic thing like Neo, but mine only makes you dizzy.

cityCharlestonSC_summer05_036_sm.jpg

I went to Chucktown the other day. I took a few photos. I was there to visit some friends, not the city, so most of these were taken as we drove around. Enjoy.

King & Calhoun looking south down King

cityCharlestonSC_summer05_005_sm.jpg

King looking south

cityCharlestonSC_summer05_007_sm.jpg

cityCharlestonSC_summer05_008_sm.jpg

Market St.

cityCharlestonSC_summer05_009_sm.jpg

Ashely River Bridge (westbound)

cityCharlestonSC_summer05_011_sm.jpg

Columbus St.

cityCharlestonSC_summer05_030_sm.jpg

Old Bridges from the new one

cityCharlestonSC_summer05_031_sm.jpg

New one. There is a guy walking if you look really hard :)

cityCharlestonSC_summer05_035_sm.jpg

So graceful does Charleston shine...Your Columbus St. pic was most fascinating with a tall Port Crane & new Bridge in the backdrop...How tall is that Crane? It's tall & slim & dominates the skyline impressively the way SUTRO Tower, the communications & tallest structure of San Francisco, rises into the often rolling white fog on top of Twins Peaks in the afternoon...

Great pictures, thanks for sharing.

I especially love the ones looking up at the new towers as you drive under them. I took one the other day when the sky was extremely clear and have been using it as my desktop background since. :P

Was hanging out the window of my friends car as we drove under the towers for this shot.

towersm.jpg

click image for full size

towersm.jpg

click image for full size

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If not for a zillion little & not so little things to do today, I would hop aboard any plane bound for Charleston. All these beautiful soaring new pics of The Ravenel have encouraged me, a diehard lover of Charleston's colorful history & architecture, to "come see my favorite of towns/places south of Manhattan Island" soome 3,000 miles from my transplanted home in San Francisco since 1983 when I left South Carolina for the West via a Charleston EasternAirlines flight....

Here are some of Charleston's "skyline." Some are a little blurry.

cityCharlestonSC_summer05_013_sm.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great pics, Spartan...absolutely fantastic! This is probably my most favorite of the skyline shots. This pic was taken from the James Island Expressway, right? Do I know my hometown or what? ;)

The other DT pictures were great as well. :thumbsup:

Here's a newly uploaded one of me standing by the Morris Island Lighthosue when I went up there a couple of years ago:

37233650_59e077f253.jpg

As a lighthouse fanatic, I am quite concerned about this lighthouse's safety. I have several souvenirs of it saying "Save the Light" and so on.

I also keep very detailed notes on the decay of the lighthouse as seen from my photos.

• 1 month later...

Archived