• Durham
    • Wilmington
    • Chapel Hill
    • Asheville
    • Other (please specify)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favorite city is definately Charlotte, though Asheville runs a very close second.

I think that you will end up seeing a bias towards Charlotte and Asheville since they are the closest cities to SC. Maybe I'm wrong though :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haha, if you have an old car, its probably faster to drive to Wilmington from SC, than to Asheville. They are really close in distance.

I'm just a little curious on the nomenclature for this & the similar thread in the NC forum. For this forum you use 'city' to describe the cities in NC, but in the favorite SC poll you used 'town'. Maybe I'm reading too much into things, but again...

Well, since I'm still a SC resident but all my tax money goes to NC because I work in Charlotte, I felt as though I had a legitimate say in this poll. :)

My choice was, of course, Charlotte. I haven't been to Raleigh before, only been through Asheville, last time I was in Durham was over 10 years ago and can't really remember anything about the city besides visiting Duke, and haven't visited any of the other cities besides Winston-Salem and Greensboro. My (very close) second choice would be Greensboro largely due to its college-town appeal and the overall vibe I got from the place. I could definitely see myself living there.

I'm just a little curious on the nomenclature for this & the similar thread in the NC forum.  For this forum you use 'city' to describe the cities in NC, but in the favorite SC poll you used 'town'.  Maybe I'm reading too much into things, but again...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you are reading too much into it :rolleyes:

My favorite NC city is Charlotte, most definitely. However, it's not because of its close proximity to SC. The fact is that Charlotte is a big city in the Carolinas that still stays true to its Southern roots. There is a lot to do there, and DT is absolutely beautiful and original.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks. :)

I am curious why Raliegh/Durham is not doing better in this poll. You have world class universities, a state capital, and a high tech hub with lots of well paying jobs. Ideas?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I could tell you why, but I don't want to be too insulting, now do I? :P

Honestly, I can't really consider the Triangle's cities really cities. They are more like large towns forming a triangle with loosely connected cul-de-sacs in between with little or no urban core. The only reason I would ever venture near the Triangle area is because of college (Chapel Hill - GO HEELS!!!).

I could tell you why, but I don't want to be too insulting, now do I?  :P

Honestly, I can't really consider the Triangle's cities really cities.  They are more like large towns forming a triangle with loosely connected cul-de-sacs in between with little or no urban core.  The only reason I would ever venture near the Triangle area is because of college (Chapel Hill - GO HEELS!!!).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:wacko:

I am curious why Raliegh/Durham is not doing better in this poll. You have world class universities, a state capital, and a high tech hub with lots of well paying jobs. Ideas?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One reason I think its because of the location of Charlotte, like what was stated earlier, It's just 9 miles from the SC border, an hour and a half from 2 of the states largest metros, and 2 of the states major interstates run right through Charlotte so its that direct access which leads to familiarity. Also Charlotte is seen more of a benchmark city than other cities in NC. I know alot of tarheels will disagree with me but there really isn't much difference in the other NC cities than SC cities. Don't get me wrong I know that the NC towns have larger populations but on a street level they offer pretty much the same thing as other SC cities. There are subtle differences yes (nationaly known public universities, high tech economy, fast growing population, etc.) but moving from Columbia to Raleigh really wouldn't make much of a difference to me. I like the Triangle area, particullarly the Durham-Chapel Hill area it's very quainte and has a new proressive feel to it. With that being said it also offers many things that home does. Charlotte does too but its on a little larger scale so its more noticeable than say RDU. Just my thoughts. Also it doesn't hurt that Charlotte has always been a more SC friendly city.

Archived