• Durham
    • Wilmington
    • Chapel Hill
    • Asheville
    • Other (please specify)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, being that MB is the second largest family resort destination in the US and the largest without direct interstate access, I think that's pretty significant. And while the Blue Ridge Parkway is a tourist attraction, it's nowhere as large an attraction as MB. But, as they say, familiarity breeds contempt.

Also, I think it just so happens that the NC cities which us South Carolinians seem to prefer (at least according to this poll) are not only in close proximity to SC ("border cities"), but they also have regional distinctions which the other NC cities don't possess and that SC cities may possess, but to a lesser degree. Asheville is a city in the mountains (and a beautiful one, I'm told), and Charlotte is the "metrolina empire," the largest city in the Carolinas and a center of significant urban activity. Just about everything else the other NC cities offer, we can find more of an equal for in SC.

Well said krazeeboi, I think all your points are very valid. The BRP is a great tourist attraction, but the majority of the crowds are there for just a few weeks during the fall season. The rest of the year, it's not so crowded (which I don't mind since it leaves more space for me).

Myrtle Beach is one of the top tourist attactions in the southeast. I'm sure it has quite a signifigent indirect economic impact on NC with the number of people driving through the state buying gas, food and such.

Archived