Leaning Tower of Norfolk

Former Resident of HR

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hah hah Rus is online at the same time as me... so I hope you get the answer to this quickly.

Look in the Trader Building progress page. It's right in the first pic. It is the 8 story building that has the first floor obscured by the orange "thing". It is on the corner of City Hall and Granby and used to have a deli on the ground floor.

That building is being saved. If you're hoping for that to be cleared out, you're out of luck. The building was deemed unsafe after inspections revealed that its lean required support and that the structure required renovation of most of its utilities and more structural support on the lower floors. It also failed most fire ordinances so aside from virtually rebuilding the building, it is also being renovated with new materials that won't catch fire easily and spread fire so fast.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NOOOOO NOOOO NO I would never hope for such a classic building to be destroyed! I am happy to hear that it will not be torn down. What is the end result going to be? Condos or a business?

NOOOOO NOOOO NO I would never hope for such a classic building to be destroyed!  I am happy to hear that it will not be torn down.  What is the end result going to be?  Condos or a business?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It will be used as an office building just like before. Office space is already in the single digit vacancy rate in downtown so office space is needed and when Trader finishes their tower and occupies it, that percentage will go even further and by then, you can expect Norfolk to seriously begin pursuing another office tower. I'm not sure if the retail that was on the first floor from the leaning tower permanently moved, plan to move back, or simply went out of business but we'll see what happens.

• 6 months later...

Oh good, they are saving it. I had heard about it being condemned and figured it was a matter of time, but it would of made a great location for a pencil tower, but saving it is good too.

Man with this low office vacancy and demand for residential downtown. Norfolk could end up going through what Portland is kind of experiencing right now, just on a much larger level.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It will be used as an office building just like before. Office space is already in the single digit vacancy rate in downtown so office space is needed and when Trader finishes their tower and occupies it, that percentage will go even further and by then, you can expect Norfolk to seriously begin pursuing another office tower. I'm not sure if the retail that was on the first floor from the leaning tower permanently moved, plan to move back, or simply went out of business but we'll see what happens.

The deli(Deli Plus) on the first floor is closed for good. The owner has moved into a new location where the old Aroma Cafe used to be and his new place is called Granby Bistro.

• 5 months later...

Speaking of lack of patience......

......has anyone heard any news about this building.

I know that it is supposed to be rehabilitated and the leaning is to be correted.

-_-

I dont have any official news, but I can tell you that nothing is going on at the building. I walk by it almost every day during my lunch break and see no signs of progress....

Where have you been Seven Cities?

On a covert mission to save the world. :ph34r: Seriously, I've just been very very busy the past few months. I went to the west coast for about a month and when I came back home to VA things went haywire shortly after. :wacko: Until recently, I havent had the time to check out UP to see whats been going on lately. I know that I've missed out on quite a few things and I see that I have a LOT of catching up to do here. -_-

On a covert mission to save the world. :ph34r: Seriously, I've just been very very busy the past few months. I went to the west coast for about a month and when I came back home to VA things went haywire shortly after. :wacko: Until recently, I havent had the time to check out UP to see whats been going on lately. I know that I've missed out on quite a few things and I see that I have a LOT of catching up to do here. -_-

Well, welcome back and hope that all is well now.

• 7 months later...

On the news today, the owner of the building said they were removing tons of debris out of the building during certain times of the day when they have permission to shut down that side street. He said they would be converting it into mostly residential units, with the first floor being commercial.

I'm just curious about this building, but claim to have no expertise in civil engineering. Is there any danger the building will continue to further lean to its left? Is there some kind of reinforcement they build to assure potential owners that this isn't a safety issue? Is the degree of tilt noticeable when you're inside the building? What caused the tilt in the first place, and has the degree increased over the years?

I'm just curious about this building, but claim to have no expertise in civil engineering. Is there any danger the building will continue to further lean to its left? Is there some kind of reinforcement they build to assure potential owners that this isn't a safety issue? Is the degree of tilt noticeable when you're inside the building? What caused the tilt in the first place, and has the degree increased over the years?

Archived