Leaning Tower of Norfolk

Former Resident of HR

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sounds expensive, I wonder what the price of the condos will be for all that added expensive + conversion costs. It also seems like they'd have to be very high end in order to be able justify that kind of expenditure, especially for a building which really isn't all that big. I'm sure the owner has already lost quite a bit in interest and financing costs alone with it just sitting there empty for so long.

I'm curious where you're getting your information, every indication has been the city will no longer tolerate this building and it's risk to the public, and that it's been or being condemned, and the owners were resigned to that fact. What changed between two weeks ago and this week?

Historic Building Still Unsafe, officials say

I wonder about the cost. Repairing foundation can be very expensive, what are they going to do with that will justify the cost?

It is a nice building but looks rather small. Does the building have air conditioning or do they add that during the reconstruction?

Last question, when Historical societies want to save a building do they put up some money to help a company redevelop a structure? It seems to me that just wanting to save a building that is very expensive redo is not enough. If it is too costly the building will just sit and fall into greater disrepair.

"Last question, when Historical societies want to save a building do they put up some money to help a company redevelop a structure? It seems to me that just wanting to save a building that is very expensive redo is not enough. If it is too costly the building will just sit and fall into greater disrepair."

In some cases, they might. I doubt that a serious money-gathering operation could be managed to save this particular building. Such action might take place in a situation where the building is of great significance and the owner/developer is recalcitrant about saving the property. In this case, it would appear that the owner has a genuine desire to save the building. Let it be said, however, that not only the "Histirical Societies" you speak of may have an interest in keeping a building like this. While it won't win many beauty contests, it's still a significant piece of the urban fabric. I'd hate to see it torn down, as I believe many others might regret as well, but I don't see a great groundswell of a public outcry if it is demolished. Norfolk ought to have learned its lessons about preservation in the 60's and 70's when wholesale urban renewal permanently robbed the city of much of its character. I hate to keep repeating the same thing, but Norfolk needs to stop and think before removing too many more pre-WWII buildings in its downtown area.

• 7 months later...

Has anyone noticed that yesterday someone took down the "sidewalk awning" (for lack of a better term) on the Granby and City Hall sides of the Leaning Tower Building. Does that mean something is about to happen after all this time? The last post on this building was back in January. They started gutting the inside this past Winter/early Spring, but then stopped. Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

Has anyone noticed that yesterday someone took down the "sidewalk awning" (for lack of a better term) on the Granby and City Hall sides of the Leaning Tower Building. Does that mean something is about to happen after all this time? The last post on this building was back in January. They started gutting the inside this past Winter/early Spring, but then stopped. Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

It has leaned for over 100 years without incident, so why not reinforce the foundation rather than jack it up? In fact, why not reinforce the interior structure first before monkeying with the foundation at all? Is the problem that the building sits on a filled in creek that run along City Hall Avenue? It's hard to determine what is best to do for this structure with the scant information we've heard. In any case, the Bankers Trust building really is historically significant and I don't know how many advocates it has.

Archived