Ward's Corner

Former Resident of HR

Anyone know anything new happening here? I read maybe a year ago about how they were going to try to pick up the pace there. It seems like they could really do something with the area as it is one of the busiest cross roads in the area. The housing has really turned around there (Bondale and Sterling Oaks plus the little box houses around all seem to be in good shape). When will the retail area pick up a little?

Any ideas?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone know anything new happening here?  I read maybe a year ago about how they were going to try to pick up the pace there.  It seems like they could really do something with the area as it is one of the busiest cross roads in the area.  The housing has really turned around there (Bondale and Sterling Oaks plus the little box houses around all seem to be in good shape).  When will the retail area pick up a little? 

Any ideas?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah, I also read about this. Ward's Corner was to be converted into a mixed use community with condos etc. It seems this project was to be spread over a long term. I am not sure of the anticipated start date or any other particulars though.

Well I'm sure some of you guys have seen the comprehensive plan for Wards Corner on the Norfolk planning website.  Here's a link to the plan (WARNING! PDF!) Wards Corner Plan

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is the first time i've seen this plan in my life! Awesome contribution lammius. I had no idea they had so much planned for Wards corner :o .

They had a set of guys that came to Granby high school and had a meeting and showed residents all of the plans. Alot of it was around Texas ave. The planned on building townhouses that had offices at the bottom for people with home business. They were modeling it after something in Dallas Texas. They were also talking about Titus town and redevelopment there. They were also talking about building a tall hotel by Tidewater Dr. It was on Norfolk News Network about 6 months ago.

I love the planning of this new redevelopment plan. Its detail and concern for the surroundings and history of the area as a major shopping magnet in northern Norfolk is admirable. While I've never been a fan of developments that wipe the slate clean (demolishing peoples' homes...), I believe that it would transform the northside of the city outside of the waterfront. It seems like it could perhaps take upwards of a decade or even much longer, but I think that if it'll reduce crime etc. and create a new, upscale district, then the wait will be worth it. The downtown renaissance has been 25 years in the making and it's turning out rather well I think! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I think what is concrete is Norfolk's determination to do something with that area of the city. The renderings and site plans the consultants produced are just ideas of what a redevelopment project could look like. I doubt the city has put out and RFP and wonder if they have even designated a redevelopment area at Wards Corner yet.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm curious about one thing the City did. What does moving the human services offices to Wards Corner say about commitment to it's redevelopment? I think it moves these services closer to more clients, but the Southern Shopping Center area would have made a better location.

I'm curious about one thing the City did.  What does moving the human services offices to Wards Corner say about commitment to it's redevelopment?  I think it moves these services closer to more clients, but the Southern Shopping Center area would have made a better location.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is a huge bus change station in Wards Corner and it is closer to the people that it would serve. The neighborhoods around the Southern Shopping Center are not anywhere near as bad as you'd imagine from Tidewater/Little Creek. The people there don't need the Human Services offices either.

• 9 months later...

I don't know how much credence I would put into this, but I overheard someone at Starbuck's talking about the next new Starbuck's location in Norfolk. Evidentally, it is supposed to be going in Ward's Corner in a new Barnes and Noble (!) that is planned for the area where Warehouse Music currently sits. Supposedly they are going to tear down some of the Granby Mall as well. Anyone else know anything about this?

I don't know how much credence I would put into this, but I overheard someone at Starbuck's talking about the next new Starbuck's location in Norfolk. Evidentally, it is supposed to be going in Ward's Corner in a new Barnes and Noble (!) that is planned for the area where Warehouse Music currently sits. Supposedly they are going to tear down some of the Granby Mall as well. Anyone else know anything about this?

That last thing I heard about coming to Wards Corner was Walmart, so this is definately good if it pans out.

Archived