Ward's Corner

Former Resident of HR

Wards Corner is close to too many healthy and upscale neighborhoods for it to remain as is. It's a perfect fit for Barnes and Noble and for Starbucks (or Peets if they ever go national). Barnes and Noble doesn't generally go to downtowns, except in very large cities, but they seem to like suburban locations. not too far from downtowns. I'd be even happier with a Brambleton location, but that would surprise me. Everyone on the north side of the Lafayette River must go either downtown or to 21st Street for better shops as things stand today.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

Ok strange news. It seems that I am forever pumping the wind into the almost dead Wards Corner topic...

BUT I heard from a friend who works at Carcker Barrell on the Peninsula, that CB is eyeing WC as a future location. They want to expand into the Southside with a few locations. If this and the B&N rumor are true (or even somewhat true) I would be very dissapointed. WC is not the prettiest area, but it has some charm. I would really hate to see all the stores there bulldozed for a few strip mall restauants in a sea of parking lots. It would be really cool if there was some foresight to develop it as an urban village, lining the edges on Granby and Little Creek with more shops and having small through streets. Something like the plan that they have for Colliseum Mall. But that is probably too much to expect for the area I guess.

Anyway, anyone else know something about this????

According to a booklet I received in the mail The redevelopment of the intersection of granby and little creek is called the "Uptown district action plan". The development will include a 200 room hotel, with a resturant and parking deck. There is a lot of information so i'll just quote this synopsis "The Uptown district action plan for the future envisions a hotel, regional and local retailers, office space and market-rate residences integrated into a new mixed use development area". There is a small rendering which I will post later but it looks similar to the renderings posted earlier in this thread from the master plan.

Also included were plans for "Titustown retail district" that will go in the West little Creek section. A rendering of that is also included.

According to a booklet I received in the mail The redevelopment of the intersection of granby and little creek is called the "Uptown district action plan". The development will include a 200 room hotel, with a resturant and parking deck. There is a lot of information so i'll just quote this synopsis "The Uptown district action plan for the future envisions a hotel, regional and local retailers, office space and market-rate residences integrated into a new mixed use development area". There is a small rendering which I will post later but it looks similar to the renderings posted earlier in this thread from the master plan.

Also included were plans for "Titustown retail district" that will go in the West little Creek section. A rendering of that is also included.

Some details that have not been posted are:

Uptown District

• 200 room hotel with associated funtion rooms, a resturant, and parking deck.

• Fort Worth avenue to be widened 100 feet to serve as the main street for local traffic.

• Phase 1

-125,000 sq ft of mid-box retail.

-25,000 sp ft of other retail offerings.

• Phase 2

-Replace at grade parking lots with 200 market-rate apartments, more retail, 40 townhomes with garages.

• Phase 3

-250 units of apartments with private amenities and a row of 20 townhomes.

• Phase 4

-160 courtyard apartments, plus 40 live-work, in an area now occupied by a mobile home park.

Live-Work Buildings- Small shop or office on the ground floor with owners residence above.

Layout- The intersetion of little creek and Granby will be rededeveloped by building 5-story elevator apartments

surrounding courtyards with retail space on the ground floor.

• 5 weeks later...
These are the mobile homes behind the Southern Shopping Center in Norfolk (a couple of blocks from the Little Creek/Tidewater Drive intersection). They're suppose to be building apartments in it's place. I know we've discussed this in a previous thread. I believe they were suppose to model a development that already exist in Portsmouth.

• 2 months later...

Wards Corner redevelopment on hold

A redevelopment plan for a cluster of neighborhoods near Wards Corner has been put on hold by the city because state legislators may weaken local government's power to take private property. In addition, studies for potential future redevelopment plans in Fairmount Park and Douglas Park also have been postponed.

For more than a year, the Norfolk Redevelopment and Housing Authority and city officials have been working with neighborhood leaders in Oakdale Farms, Monticello Village and Denby Park on a redevelopment plan for the 2,100 homes in that area. A public hearing, originally scheduled for last week, has been postponed indefinitely, Steve Barney, a neighborhood manager for the housing authority, told the Wards Corner Task Force on Thursday.

Wards Corner redevelopment on hold

<_< Wonderful. It's a complex issue though because I do have a problem with the taking of private property for the benefit of other private entities. In other words, Walmart shouldn't be able to take my home. Some reform is definately needed, but I am concerned about efforts in Wards Corner grinding to a halt because of this. They definately need to be revitalized.

Archived