Ward's Corner

Former Resident of HR

Eminent domain is one of those touchy topics that causes people to clutch their guns and start waving flags in the air. There have been too many abuses in the name of redevelopment, but one could easily argue that even more abuses have occured in the name of individual property rights. These would include walling off the general public from beaches, rivers and lakes; the wanton destruction of wetlands, pristine forests and rivers; and the selfish depletion of natural resources that could better serve the common good. And so on ad nauseam. There needs to be some clear public benefit where eminent domain is used. If that definition were interpreted more narrowly, there would be far fewer abuses.

But in Wards Corner, stubborn people are just willfully sitting on commercial properties that could be put to far better use and help to lift up the area. That might not be a clear cause for eminent domain takings.

• 2 months later...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Redevelopment sparks contention at Wards Corner

Does the city's next police precinct belong in a Tidewater Drive office park or a crime-ridden neighborhood near Wards Corner, That question has become a flashpoint for the City Council. With limited money available to revitalize neighborhoods, council members are jousting for projects in their wards, including the $10.3 million Second Precinct.

Vice Mayor Anthony L. Burfoot and Councilwoman Daun S. Hester, who represent the area where the Central Business Park is located, say the Second Precinct has always been planned for that area.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
The long term solution to Ward's Corner's problems are in some form of transit oriented development. Some time back, I mused on the value of a heavy rail system, using Diesel Multiple Units, stretching from Elizabeth City to Williamsburg, via the third crossing and southwest to Franklin via Portsmouth and Suffolk. There is a logical place for the station at the existing transit center on Granby, which is immediately adjacent to the dual tracks those DMUs would run on.

Also remember that the HRT LR line to NS Norfolk goes up the HOV lane in 64. It has to "come to earth" somewhere, and near Ward's Corner is the logical place (no HOV lane in 564).

Ward's Corner will never get fixed from organic solutions -- they need some type of traffic generator. Might be good place for six - eight story office buildings of the type in the Lake Taylor office park. Natural location for many of the defense oriented businesses that now populate the Class A space in Lake Taylor. Even closer to their customers at JFCOM and NS Norfolk.

• 3 weeks later...

Its sad to see how this area is going down. I don't think we are going to fix the area of the Texas streets because 3 of the council members want to keep it the way it is. This area could be another hot business district like DT and Military Hwy but alot of stores are vacant and alot of the area is ghetto, especially inside the Wards Corner Mall. Its sad because most of the neighboorhoods close by aren't bad, and alot are middle class. The only bad area is Denby Park. Also I read in the paper that the new Wal-Mart is doing good so that proves that Norfolk in that area is underserved by quality retail chains. Southern Shopping Center has gone downhill but at least it has a Ruby Tuesday. I think the plan looks good but you know Norfolk has plans but very little action, if any. I would love to see a Cracker Barrel coming to Norfolk and a hotel. I can't believe somebody was complaining about it. It would look better than the slum area they have now.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/02/apartments...park-once-stood

There is an article in the paper about the SouthWind Apartments today. I don't know if I am feeling the design or not but I hope this project is successful. I am just wondering if the reputation of the area will prevent people from wanting to come. There have been numerous articles about incidents happening on the Texas streets of the Wards Corner area. Also, whats going to happen to the car wash, food mart and other little businesses/shops on Little Creek Road that the trailer park was once behind? There was a Latino barber shop but they tore that down which was behind Southern Shopping Center...so are they going to do that to the rest?

• 2 weeks later...

Came across this in the ODU Development forum...Anyone heard anything about a new grocery store in the Little Creek/Wards Corner Area?

"Bidding for a 60,000 s.f. grocery store has been announced on Bidclerk. Unsure of the location as I haven't registered with the site, which oddly shows Ruthven/Titustown - but I assume this is the ODU store."

"The inset map on the bidclerk website shows the project on Little Creek Road near Ward's Corner."

http://www.bidclerk.com/project.740724.html

• 1 month later...

Archived