Norfolk History

wrldcoupe4

Looking through the page, let it be known that I LOVE this picture...

http://nrha.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Historical/G0000sjxf1Fx4fek/I0000is.rFWFXrp0

It's like a mini-Times Square...really hate that a lot of downtown Norfolk's history fell off. I know we've discussed how they changed the grid for the better, but I'd love to see a downtown that stretched all the way to Tidewater Drive and across Brambleton...

Here's a pic of Short North...looks pretty cool!

Short_North.jpg

Of course, I'd love to see a return to the pic I linked a couple posts above, but that would be a huge undertaking, esp. since there's not as many downtown stores. It's not really the most practical concept, but I would love to see one of the buildings add a small LED or LCD video screen like you'd see in Times Square. Maybe display headlines, weather/time, things like that, or simply one of the downtown business' logos.

All a dream

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I went downtown last weekend and checked out MacArthur memorial and visitor center. For all you history buffs this is a must see. I had no idea the general was actually laid to rest inside the memorial. And the new library is very fascinating especially the old interactive photos of the city. The old Seaboard building which is an awesome building and a treasure to be preserved in this way.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I love and hate pictures like that one. Love because downtown was a blank canvas about 50 years ago, so I always wonder how it would look with taller buildings closer together, and fewer parking garages. 

Hate it (more dislike than anything) because I feel our city lacks in tall, unique architecture. I'd really like to play SimCity with late-60s downtown. :P

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Is that a "Hotel Monticello" sign on the right edge of the photo?

Every time I see a photo of downtown from the 40s-60s, I'm amazed at how we lost all that, even with the suburbs popping up in the early-60s. I really can't believe downtown Norfolk went from that to a ghost town in the 70s and 80s. Imagine how this city would be had it never fallen off. That picture looks like something out of NYC.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BFG said:

Is that a "Hotel Monticello" sign on the right edge of the photo?

Every time I see a photo of downtown from the 40s-60s, I'm amazed at how we lost all that, even with the suburbs popping up in the early-60s. I really can't believe downtown Norfolk went from that to a ghost town in the 70s and 80s. Imagine how this city would be had it never fallen off. That picture looks like something out of NYC.

I think it needs to be put into context. At that time there were far fewer options for retail than we have now. Blue laws were in place that restricted hours of operation. Virginia Beach was getting going in the 60's and Chesapeake was still years off for development so the majority of the population was within shopping range of downtown.

When our family moved here in the mid-70's the only places to shop were downtown, Military Circle/Janaf and Pembroke Mall plus Wards Corner and Princess Anne Plaza. Saturdays were crowded in a way that we can never experience today because of the internet, our 24/7 culture and the vast amount of shopping centers. Once you passed Pembroke Mall on Virginia Beach Blvd. headed east immediately past Willis Wayside it was open wooded land to Rosemont Road. Great Neck Road was two lanes through farms and woods its whole length, and with the exception of Kempsville everything below the "toll road" (I-264) was rural. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Naro is celebrating 40 years in business, and their Facebook page posted this blast from the past. Apparently, Ghent as we know it really took off in the late-70s. Hopefully the video will load...check out the late, great Ed Hughes on the anchor desk!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...