Norfolk History

wrldcoupe4

Very, very sad. It makes you wonder what Norfolk could have been if that never would of happend.... :cry:

Well, we'd have a lot taller buildings for one thing. The land pressures would have forced developers to build taller than they currently do now. It is sad to see what was lost. :(

Hey, vdogg, do you think there's enough warrant for a Norfolk Historical Photos thread?

Well, there's already a Norfolk historic buildings thread. I could always retask it to include photos, etc. I was actually thinking of moving some of this in there anyway. I'll see what I can come up with when I get home.

See, that ain't right... when I look at old pictures of DT Norfolk and Church Street it makes me sick to my stomach :sick:

How could Norfolk tear down so much instead of trying to preserve and renovate most of those buildings. Looking at Norfolk now, its like that era didn't even exist. Nice pics Willy.

Was there a flood or a fire that destroyed a lot of those buildings DT???

just urban renewal that destroyed Norfolk's heart.

It is one of the main reasons why I could never move back home, the cities in the west coast never went to that extreme, which leaves cities here so much more character and history. Nofolk, most of its history is in photos now.

Well, there's already a Norfolk historic buildings thread. I could always retask it to include photos, etc. I was actually thinking of moving some of this in there anyway. I'll see what I can come up with when I get home.

I forgot this thread existed! Thanks for bringing it back to life. :thumbsup:

It is truly sad that so many beautiful buildings were torn down. It seems to me that the city leaders had the ambition to demolish what that deemed blighted, but not the vision of what to do with the vacant land. I'm glad Norfolk city leaders have a vision and a plan for today.

We must also remember that after WW2, people were moving out to the suburbs away from the urban centers. Virginia Beach and Chesapeake are good examples of suburb that benefited from urban exodus.

It is truly sad that so many beautiful buildings were torn down. It seems to me that the city leaders had the ambition to demolish what that deemed blighted, but not the vision of what to do with the vacant land. I'm glad Norfolk city leaders have a vision and a plan for today.

We must also remember that after WW2, people were moving out to the suburbs away from the urban centers. Virginia Beach and Chesapeake are good examples of suburb that benefited from urban exodus.

Unfortunately, a lot of planners thought in the same mode as Robert Moses (aka the man that destroyed as much of NYC as he could) during that time. In defense of Norfolk city planners, they must have believed that after they bulldozed everything, that huge new parking lot surrounded office buildings would grow up where they wiped the city off the map. Instead, they just got the parking lots for the better part of many decades.

I think the biggest problem with the "redvelopment" (read: undevelopment) of Norfolk was that we were the first city to set up such sweeping "reforms" and they just went way too far. Too much was demolished at once and there was not a need to rebuild. Luckliy, after 60 years of "car planning", it seems that most people are coming around to the fact that the way things worked for the past few thousand years worked for a reason.

Edited by JPN0731

Unfortunately, a lot of planners thought in the same mode as Robert Moses (aka the man that destroyed as much of NYC as he could) during that time. In defense of Norfolk city planners, they must have believed that after they bulldozed everything, that huge new parking lot surrounded office buildings would grow up where they wiped the city off the map. Instead, they just got the parking lots for the better part of many decades.

I think the biggest problem with the "redvelopment" (read: undevelopment) of Norfolk was that we were the first city to set up such sweeping "reforms" and they just went way too far. Too much was demolished at once and there was not a need to rebuild. Luckliy, after 60 years of "car planning", it seems that most people are coming around to the fact that the way things worked for the past few thousand years worked for a reason.

Hear, hear, JPN!

• 3 weeks later...

I remember the Monticello Hotel pretty well. Back in the '60s, there was another proposal to build a 20 story Hilton downtown. the owners of the Monticello Hotel responded with a proposal for a 21 story addition that would have risen in back of the main structure. Neither project materialized, and neither did an 18 story "boatel" project that would have sat at the foot of the "Banana Pier," where Nauticus now resides. The first visible sign of redevelopment was the new jail, which may have opened in about 1958. People liked to joke about Norfolk's beautiful new hotel (the jail), then the Golden Triangle hotel opened in the early 60's. The Rennert building (17 storeys) was completed in '59. As a boy, I liked to ride the elevators in that one. MacArthur Mall now sits there. From there, redevelopment turned to the Main Street area, where Plaza One, with its vertical louvres and its pagoda-like elevator housing was built. The new City Hall and Kirn Library made an impression in the early 60s. Then the Virginia National Bank building was finished in '66 or so. That one was designed by Skidmore, Owings and Merrill. Not quite uip there with Burj Dubai, but great for Norfolk!

Wow Padman you sure bring back alot of memories. I recall the Golden Triangle built in 1964 when I was only three years old. I remember when the Monticello was emploded in 1976 to make way for the UGLY!! federal building that use to have an orange brick facade before it was redone about 10 years ago. Do you remember shopping at Rices Nachmans and Snyders back in the 60's and 70's and do you recall Granby Mall, Alshuls (sp?) and the Spot clothing store, Frankies Got It! record store, Goldstien's books and novelties?

What about Fine's mens shop! My father use buy suits for my brother and I from there.

Too many memories are flooding back for me to list them all.

Edited by skylinefan

Wow Padman you sure bring back alot of memories. I recall the Golden Triangle built in 1964 when I was only three years old. I remember when the Monticello was emploded in 1976 to make way for the UGLY!! federal building that use to have an orange brick facade before it was redone about 10 years ago. Do you remember shopping at Rices Nachmans and Snyders back in the 60's and 70's and do you recall Granby Mall, Alshuls (sp?) and the Spot clothing store, Frankies Got It! record store, Goldstien's books and novelties?

What about Fine's mens shop! My father use buy suits for my brother and I from there.

Too many memories are flooding back for me to list them all.

Sure do. Nachmans was based in Newport News, wasn't it? Altschuls sat isolated from the Granby Street main drag, over where they put St. Pauls Blvd., if my memory is correct. I've always been sorry that I never saw a show at the Gaeity before they tore it down--too young. Hofheimer's Shoe Store gave out helium filled balloons though. That was more my speed. It was a dying downtown then, and I thought that it would turn around much faster than it did. I've loved the place since I was a child. It's like a beat up pound puppy that you know is going to be the best dog anyone ever had if given a chance.

Sure do. Nachmans was based in Newport News, wasn't it? Altschuls sat isolated from the Granby Street main drag, over where they put St. Pauls Blvd., if my memory is correct. I've always been sorry that I never saw a show at the Gaeity before they tore it down--too young. Hofheimer's Shoe Store gave out helium filled balloons though. That was more my speed. It was a dying downtown then, and I thought that it would turn around much faster than it did. I've loved the place since I was a child. It's like a beat up pound puppy that you know is going to be the best dog anyone ever had if given a chance.

Oh my God I sure do remember getting the helium filled balloons. I don't remember if it was from the Hofheimers Downtown or Wards Corner. I remember getting my first PF Flyers (You are an oldtimer if you remember PF Flyers) at Hofheimers when I was about six. Yeah Downtown was dying even back then. Prostitutes use to roam on Granby St. and Monticello Ave. after the Virginia Squires games at Scope. Do you remember the Squires, and Dr. J with his big afro dunking the basketball at Scope. I can still hear the announcer shouting TWO FOR DR. J!!!!!.

I may have seen a movie at the Granby around 1974 I think. It was one of those blaxploitation movies like Shaft or Superfly or maybe Claudine with Diane Carroll.

Hey do you remember Bungles the Clown on channel 13, Dr. Madblood on channel 10 and Jim and Tammy on Channel 27!

Wow I had better stop before I become overly nostalgic and pack up and return to Norfolk this very second!

Edited by skylinefan

Oh my God I sure do remember getting the helium filled balloons. I don't remember if it was from the Hofheimers Downtown or Wards Corner. I remember getting my first PF Flyers (You are an oldtimer if you remember PF Flyers) at Hofheimers when I was about six. Yeah Downtown was dying even back then. Prostitutes use to roam on Granby St. and Monticello Ave. after the Virginia Squires games at Scope. Do you remember the Squires, and Dr. J with his big afro dunking the basketball at Scope. I can still hear the announcer shouting TWO FOR DR. J!!!!!.

I may have seen a movie at the Granby around 1974 I think. It was one of those blaxploitation movies like Shaft or Superfly or maybe Claudine with Diane Carroll.

Hey do you remember Bungles the Clown on channel 13, Dr. Madblood on channel 10 and Jim and Tammy on Channel 27!

Wow I had better stop before I become overly nostalgic and pack up and return to Norfolk this very second!

Come on back dude we will welcome you back! :thumbsup::whistling:

Come on back dude we will welcome you back! :thumbsup::whistling:

Hey Russ, don't tempt me, I will be down there this weekend for the Holiday Lights Parade with my partner. Who has only been to the are once (VA Beach). I can't wait to show him Downtown Norfolk, he certainly has seen enough pictures on Norfolk's website.

Hey Russ, don't tempt me, I will be down there this weekend for the Holiday Lights Parade with my partner. Who has only been to the are once (VA Beach). I can't wait to show him Downtown Norfolk, he certainly has seen enough pictures on Norfolk's website.

Well I dare you to move back! :rofl: I hate to see people leave here that have a passion for this place just like I do. :shok:

Plus I don't care what anyone says but this market is changing for the better. Its going to take time too but It's going to be a major player!

Bungles!! Hiiiiiii Gaaaaaaannnnng! He was great with the Cool Ghoul

you bunch of old farts! :rofl::P

just kidding!

I wonder what they sounded like...those old farts.

Can you imagine it? a Norfolk History Museum with an interactive exhibit ....."Norfolk, It's Farts in Time"

Press a button and trigger the samples...

The Mayors: 1940 through 1960

Button 1: pffrrrrrrtoot!

Button 2: Psqaaaaatch!!!!

Button 3: Buttttuututututut!!!

And it all happened here...right in Hampton Roads

I wonder what they sounded like...those old farts.

Can you imagine it? a Norfolk History Museum with an interactive exhibit ....."Norfolk, It's Farts in Time"

Press a button and trigger the samples...

The Mayors: 1940 through 1960

Button 1: pffrrrrrrtoot!

Button 2: Psqaaaaatch!!!!

Button 3: Buttttuututututut!!!

And it all happened here...right in Hampton Roads

Now that is comedy. :rolleyes::lol::rofl::sick: