Norfolk History

wrldcoupe4

Hey here is some more trivia for the old farts!

Joe Folkes doing the weather on channel 13!

Connie's magic playhouse on channel 3!

The Mildred Alexander show!

Pat Robertson with only one station channel 27!

Cirle 6 at Military Circle!

Drive Inn theatre off of Va. Beach Blvd near I-64.

Oh well enough for one day, we old farts need to take a little nappy napp.

Hey here is some more trivia for the old farts!

Joe Folkes doing the weather on channel 13!

Connie's magic playhouse on channel 3!

The Mildred Alexander show!

Pat Robertson with only one station channel 27!

Cirle 6 at Military Circle!

Drive Inn theatre off of Va. Beach Blvd near I-64.

Oh well enough for one day, we old farts need to take a little nappy napp.

Joe Foulkes had a voice that would make for the perfect talking basset hound

I miss a lot of things about classic channel 13. Channel 10 was funkier, in Portsmouth. I was in some local rock and jazz bands that played on channel 10 a couple of times. They had this damn lady names Boots or Poots who wouldn't let me use her Hammond organ. One of the acts that preceded us showed off his aquarium (still don't know how he got that there). I was chided by the program manager for making bubbling and fishy noises in the background.

Joe Foulkes had a voice that would make for the perfect talking basset hound

I miss a lot of things about classic channel 13. Channel 10 was funkier, in Portsmouth. I was in some local rock and jazz bands that played on channel 10 a couple of times. They had this damn lady names Boots or Poots who wouldn't let me use her Hammond organ. One of the acts that preceded us showed off his aquarium (still don't know how he got that there). I was chided by the program manager for making bubbling and fishy noises in the background.

Thats a great story, how simple things seemed back then compared to today. When I was 7 or 8, don't really recall I was on the Jim and Tammy Show on channel 27 in Portsmouth and the Bungles show on channel 13 in either Hampton or Norfolk.

:blush:17..... lol.

OK. This is the only random off-topic thing I will post, but I'm too lazy to put it in Transportation (sorry Vdogg.... :D ), BUT I HATE VIRGINIA DRIVERS.

And I digress.

Fortunately, around here most drivers are from someother place. Thats why they're all driving into one another! :rofl:

I'm 30 and these guys make me feel young! :rofl::yahoo:
You will really feel young when I tell you I remember attending a Norfolk Neptunes Football game at Foreman Field at ODU. This must of have been around 1968 or 69! They use to play teams from Richmond, Durham and Raliegh. I really want to find a game picture but my search on the internet only turned up pictures of players and no game pictures. I betcha Padman remembers the Neptunes. Edited by skylinefan

While I am at it here is some more Norfolk history!

Tidewater Tides playing at Met Park off of I-64 and Military Hwy near the Airport. Now they are the Norfolk Tides playing at Harbor Park.

The area was called Tidewater and not Hampton Roads! A matter of fact I don't remember the term Hampton Roads when I was growing up in Va. Beach. The southside was usually reffered to as the Norfolk side of the water whereas the peninsula was the penninsula or the Newport News or Hampton side of the water.

Amusement Park at Ocean View!

Granby Mall!

Frankie's Got it (old record store) on Granby St. On the radio at the end of the commercial the announcer use to say Fraaaaaankie's got it mannnnnnnn!

Burger Chef on Military Hwy and Princess Anne Road.

Well enough for one night! Hey Padman do you remember this stuff!

I remember passing the amusement park in Ocean View many times as a child while on our way to the beach. I don't recall ever riding the roller coaster, though. It looked a bit scary to me. Too bad it was destroyed to make a cheap movie.

That roller coaster was scary, I remember riding it and when you got to the top you could feel that old wooden roller coaster swaying in the wind. The cars use to have seat belts similar to cars to strap yourself in. A couple of people were thrown from the rollercoaster and killed. Ahhh those were the days!

I never got to ride that roller coaster. I wish that i did, memories I'll never have! :shok:

It's still good to know that there is so much wonderful history in our great city!

I rode that thing when I was a teenager. Took me a couple of beers to get on it but it was great fun, especially if you sat in the front car.

The Neptunes were very entertaining, especially with Dan Henning at QB and Paul Duda as their star receiver. They drew very large crowds. I'm still convinced that pro football would be a good match for this area. I'm really tired of having the Redskins rammed down my throat, although I do watch them. Later, in my quasi-hippy days, some of the Neptunes hung out at a bar on Hampton Blvd (Valhalla)and acted like a bunch of rowdy rednecks. No way I would go in there.

Sorry to hear that man, oh well better luck next year. j/k :D Not that my Rams are doing any better. I have already written this season off. :blush::(:angry:

The Skins will be a force if they can get a battering ram running back to go with Portis.

I lived in the Bay Area during trhe Montana-Young years. We were so spoiled.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Hampton Roads there use to be pro sports in the area. I found this article from the Va. Pilot on pro sports in Hampton Roads and the Squires in particular.

http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/VA-news/VA-Pilot...22/06220571.htm

Here is a program from a Squires vs. Utah STARS of the American Basketball Association (ABA). Julius Erving forever known as Dr. J can be seen to the far right.

1972-73VirginiaSquiresHomeProgramVs.jpg

Edited by skylinefan

New York?

Chicago?

Philadelphia?

x9711l.gif

No Norfolk's Granby St. from the 1940's. I hope Granby gets crowded like this again. My late father was in World War II and was shipped to England and than onto Italy through Norfolk. He thought the city was crowded, dirty and very prejudiced and he could not wait to go back home to Washington, DC. Well little did he know in 1943 that 9 years later he would call this dirty, crowded prejudiced little city home and thus I would be born here and spend the rest of my life loving Norfolk.

Edited by skylinefan

New York?

Chicago?

Philadelphia?

x9711l.gif

No Norfolk's Granby St. from the 1940's. I hope Granby gets crowded like this again. My late father was in World War II and was shipped to England and than onto Italy through Norfolk. He thought the city was crowded, dirty and very prejudiced and he could not wait to go back home to Washington, DC. Well little did he know in 1943 that 9 years later he would call this dirty, crowded prejudiced little city home and thus I would be born here and spend the rest of my life loving Norfolk.

Pictures like these upset me. What the hell happened? I know a lot of this fell pray to the bulldozer but wow. It's hard to imagine all those people just up and leaving. It's sad really.