Norfolk History

wrldcoupe4

I wonder if that was the height of the population in Norfolk... of course this would be before VB was truly a city. Think if VB had never sprung up. Norfolk would probably be huge and bustling like nobody's business.

VB didn't kill Norfolk the depression did and cases of yellow fever and such did. Also malls helped alot of killing it as well.

VB didn't kill Norfolk the depression did and cases of yellow fever and such did. Also malls helped alot of killing it as well.

It may not have killed it but a lot of people moved to the Beach from Norfolk years ago. Anyway, let's hope maybe in 20 years from now Norfolk will be bustling again.

It may not have killed it but a lot of people moved to the Beach from Norfolk years ago. Anyway, let's hope maybe in 20 years from now Norfolk will be bustling again.

Also when more people attained cars they moved to the suburbs. Back then you had to live near your job and you shopped and did your entertainment near you job.

When this picture was taken Norfolk was not at the height of its population. This picture was taken during WWII when some 300,000 service men and support people flooded into Norfolk. Afterwards many went home, but many stayed. Norfolk's permenant population increased tremendously after 1945. The population topped out in 1970 around 307,000 making Norfolk Va. largest city. After 1970 Norfolk suffered from suburban flight like many other older inner cities.

Yes Virginia Beach and Chesapeake were to blame for siphoning off many of the 70,000 Norfolk residents who left in the 70's, 80's and 90's. Interstate Highways are to blame for much of this. Remember this was happening all over the country DC lost almost 250.000 residents since 1970 before showing signs of leveling off in 2004 estimates. People were flocking to the suburbs in search of land and a better life that was illustrated in such magazines as Life and Look.

Thank goodness Norfolk is making a comeback. Hopefully this country will never return to days of abandoned rundown cities.

Edited by skylinefan

Pictures like these upset me. What the hell happened? I know a lot of this fell pray to the bulldozer but wow. It's hard to imagine all those people just up and leaving. It's sad really.

There isn't a city alive in todays world that has that type of congestion. Why? Because there are super malls. No need to be outside shopping and dining when you can be inside. Second, vehicles and suburban flight.

There isn't a city alive in todays world that has that type of congestion. Why? Because there are super malls. No need to be outside shopping and dining when you can be inside. Second, vehicles and suburban flight.

New York has congestion like this and they love it especially after the drop off in tourism following the 9/11 attacks. Many cities and suburbs have rejected the notion of sterile inside malls and are embracing the concept of outside shopping. Thank Goodness! I remember in 1999 I was traveling alot for work and I think I was in Houston when I asked for directions back to the hotel I stayed in when I was in Minneapolis. In other words the mall in Houston looked exactly like the mall in Minneapolis and for a short moment I forgot which town I was in.

I believe that a vibrant Downtown like Norfolk use to be and is striving to be again is vital to the well being of the entire region suburbs and city alike.

Edited by skylinefan

I think Norfolk already is doing the right things. It is building lots of urban dwellings which will hopefully alleviate the need to travel via car. Also, the city has lots of restaurants DT and in Ghent both which are pedestrian friendly. And non-mall retail is on the way as well which will further add to its urban feel.

Edited by guynvb

I think Norfolk already is doing the right things. It is building lots of urban dwellings which will hopefully alleviate the need to travel via car. Also, the city has lots of restaurants DT and in Ghent both which are pedestrian friendly. And non-mall retail is on the way as well which will further add to its urban feel.

Yes I agree that Norfolk is doing the right things. I wonder in the future though will cities become bedroom communities to the suburbs. Baltimore County has more jobs than Baltimore City, Tysons Corner and Fairfax County the DC region's largest municipality is closing in on DC when it comes to number of jobs. It seems with the boom in suburban job growth that maybe in the near future traffic patterns during rush hour will either shift from city to suburb or will be even between the two.

Just another thought.

I hope traffic does shift but right now most major cities house just a small amount of the total population in the area. Like you eluded to DC is a perfect example. Only about 400k live in the city but probably a couple of million people or more live outside the city.

Edited by guynvb

I hope traffic does shift but right now most major cities house just a small amount of the total population in the area. Like you eluded to DC is a perfect example. Only about 400k live in the city but probably a couple of million people or more live outside the city.

According to 2004 census estimates DC has about 570,000 residents while Fairfax county is closing in on 1.2 million people. Montgomery and Prince Goerges County have over 900,000 and over 600,000 people respectively. In other words the suburbs have increasingly become the population and employment centers while the inner cities and close in suburbs are increasingly becoming places where more and more people want to live and be entertained in.

According to 2004 census estimates DC has about 570,000 residents while Fairfax county is closing in on 1.2 million people. Montgomery and Prince Goerges County have over 900,000 and over 600,000 people respectively. In other words the suburbs have increasingly become the population and employment centers while the inner cities and close in suburbs are increasingly becoming places where more and more people want to live and be entertained in.

Well what I'm seeing is that the burbs are turning urban cause people want to live, entertain and work in the same place they live so we are seeing major urban spread now and both will serve their purposes.

• 4 weeks later...

Here are some historical photos of Norfolk I found on the web.

Old Trailways station that use to front Main St. When I was in college I use take Trailways from this station.

Trailways.jpg

Trailways station use to stand on the site of the BB&T lot on Main St. Location of course is site of future Hilton Hotel.

Trailways2.jpg

Union Mission use to be the YMCA.

NORFOLK.jpg

Old Monticello Hotel was imploded in 1976. I was present when this old hotel was blow up to make way for the federal building on Granby St.

Monticello.jpg

OT - Does anybody know what their doing with that building a few doors down form the Union Mission building.The one that I'm talking about looks really, really old and has 2 large colums(sp?) on the front and its windows are borded up. Its actually called the Byrd & Baldwin Bros. Building.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Or know what going on with it?

Edited by Greekboy80

I know, :cry: , Imagine the posibilities of remodeling that into some condos.... That place was very nice looking! Classy!

Yes the Monticello Hotel was a beautiful building. During the 70's it became a seedy hotel and at the time Norfolk was demolition crazy and no one could see the future possiblities of the building. I remember feeling that Norfolk was destroying something grand to make way for an ugly federal building.

Yes the Monticello Hotel was a beautiful building. During the 70's it became a seedy hotel and at the time Norfolk was demolition crazy and no one could see the future possiblities of the building. I remember feeling that Norfolk was destroying something grand to make way for an ugly federal building.

Well, you were exactly right. Damn feds.

OT - Does anybody know what their doing with that building a few doors down form the Union Mission building.The one that I'm talking about looks really, really old and has 2 large colums(sp?) on the front and its windows are borded up. Its actually called the Byrd & Baldwin Bros. Building.

I know exactly what building you are talking about, but I never knew its history. I have always wished to renovate that building.

Are you referring to this building? :silly:

PC220218-norfolk.jpg

photo courtesy of the Norfolk pics thread. :shades:

Hopefully this will be restored. :thumbsup: