Norfolk History

wrldcoupe4

With reference to the Radisson/Golden Triangle, I'd like to see it renovated with a nod to the style of the 50's. Unfortunately, its location may preclude such a renovation, but it is one of the more prominent 1950's buildings in Norfolk. In its present state, it's not much of a draw for the traveler. Creative thinking is needed for such an unloved building. Is Norfolk up to the task?

Norfolk, 1950s

g7Norfolk1950s.jpg

Ahhh! Nostalgia!!! There's old Loew's (now the Roper Center) and the Norva. I believe the shops next to Norva (Lerner's and Pollocks) have been demolished and have been replaced with a park.

Richmond's buses were the same color (red with yellow stripe) and I believe both systems were jointly owned by Virginia Transit Company.

Ahhh! Nostalgia!!! There's old Loew's (now the Roper Center) and the Norva. I believe the shops next to Norva (Lerner's and Pollocks) have been demolished and have been replaced with a park.

Richmond's buses were the same color (red with yellow stripe) and I believe both systems were jointly owned by Virginia Transit Company.

And the building corner on the forefront right side is the TCC Norfolk building.

Historic bulidings in Norfolk vanishing

We recently lost the Commonwealth Bank building, Khedive Temple and three historic buildings that occupied the site of the planned Granby Towers (which will also receive significant financial input from the city).

Please tell me he's not crying over the utility closets that used to be on the Granby lot? I find it hard believe that those buildings had any historical signifigance (though he may have a case with Vault building).

She..not he. Alice is a formidable (and very respectable) battler for both historical preservation and for environmental preservation. Unfortunately, both of these issues tend to turn people into fighters, not compromisers. Whether those particular buildings are really significant or not is beside the point. They're on a list.

Whether those particular buildings are really significant or not is beside the point. They're on a list.

There must have been some pretty low criteria for those to have made the list. It reminds me of the battle for the building that Baxters occupies (during the fed courts fiasco). I was all for saving the building (and thus Baxters) but the argument given, that the building was historical and thus architecturally significant, was not an argument that I could sign on to. I think the two main criteria that should play a role in the preservation of buildings is 1) What significant historical role did a building play in a cities past and 2) Is the structure of such architectural integrity that its loss would be detrimental to the city of Norfolk and its people. Often the arguments presented do not address these two concerns. Ranting about building A or B being destroyed does not tell me why extra effort should be made to save building A or B in the first place. I think our local preservation society could take a few lessons from Richmond. For those interested in what I'm referring too visit this thread. They are losing a beautiful building but in turn are gaining respect for their willingness to compromise and their ability to see that a city needs to progress. If Norfolks preservation society were a little more even-keeled I think they would get a lot further with the city than they currently do, and possibly gain a few allies in the process.

Does anyone have images of the buildings in question?

Regarding the preservation issue in Richmond, the following is Historic Richmond Foundation's view:

Historic Richmond laments the loss of the Old Murphy Hotel, but acknowledges its responsibility to encourage new construction that creates landmarks worth saving in the future. The design calls for a legacy building that is appropriate to the space.

I think this is an interesting role for a preservation group to take. It fought tooth and nail to keep the Old Murphy, but in coming to terms with its inevitable loss, HRF took proactive steps to see that its replacement would also be worth saving in the future. I think a lot of benefit in preservation groups not only trying to protect what we already have, but also ensuring that what is built today and in the future will also be historically significant and worth saving.

Edited by wrldcoupe4

• 3 weeks later...

Digging around online today, dug these up, almost makes me want to cry...

Norfolk 1905

6a15800r.jpg

Norfolk/Portsmouth 1915

6a15739r.jpg

Norfolk Waterfront 1913

6a15862r.jpg

Norfolk 1915

6a15841r.jpg

Photobucket resized these small, here's the link to the pictures for full size, incredible shots to me at least

Link here

Edited by spiker3

Digging around online today, dug these up, almost makes me want to cry...

If you really want to cry, go to the Kirn Library, upstairs in the Seargant Archives Room. Great photos of old and extremely beautifully detailed hotels and other buildings.

Another perspective. Those are wonderful. Thank you for linking to them. My reaction is that I cry with relief. Most of what I admire has been saved, in spite of what most people say. Norfolk was such a small town, provincial and a very rough and tumble place. I remember some of the old slum buildings still standing during the early 1950s, whan I was a small child. No one should have had to live that way. And no air conditioning. Half of the population fled to the mountains in the summer. I think we've come a long ways, as awful as much of the rest of the world seems today. It's hard not to be sentimental about losses. I miss the Monticello Hotel and the train terminal building. But I also miss the Maritime Tower amd Plaza One, two structures that we'll probably be better off without.

Another perspective. Those are wonderful. Thank you for linking to them. My reaction is that I cry with relief. Most of what I admire has been saved, in spite of what most people say. Norfolk was such a small town, provincial and a very rough and tumble place. I remember some of the old slum buildings still standing during the early 1950s, whan I was a small child. No one should have had to live that way. And no air conditioning. Half of the population fled to the mountains in the summer. I think we've come a long ways, as awful as much of the rest of the world seems today. It's hard not to be sentimental about losses. I miss the Monticello Hotel and the train terminal building. But I also miss the Maritime Tower amd Plaza One, two structures that we'll probably be better off without.

Thanks, for the real time perspective. Just curious, why didn't most people flee to the mountains in the summer. I do remember hearing in the 50's and early 60's that Downtown Norfolk was in pretty bad shape.

I suppose that most people just toughed it out in the summer, as many still do. Fans offered some relief. Some homes had "sleeping porches" and we had the beaches too. It was a lot less expensive to rent a cottage or a flat at the oceanfront for a few weeks too. My family went that route.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...