Norfolk History

wrldcoupe4

"The area was called Tidewater and not Hampton Roads! A matter of fact I don't remember the term Hampton Roads when I was growing up in Va. Beach. The southside was usually referred to as the Norfolk side of the water whereas the peninsula was the penninsula or the Newport News or Hampton side of the water. "

I just came back from a conference in Williamsburg and some folks from Richmond asked me if I was from the Peninsula or Tidewater. I said I was "from the southside, Naughfuk!"

I think its funny how many people pronounce Norfolk differently...haha

I could be wrong, but I thought tidewater encompassed a greater area than the 757. I thought this fell in line with the piedmont religion and all that BS. I thought Hampton roads was derived as the economic center of tidewater region, Norfolk being the epicenter. I can not recall what we were referred to before the area code switch, but I personally like the term "7 cities". When people say tidewater, I think Franklin, Williamsburg, Southampton roads region, etc to include the 7 cities...Can not remember what my Norview High Edu-ma-cation taught me.

Man I cannot imagine how much more dense Norfolk would be if they hadn't torn down all the low rise buildings of the early 20th century. That must have been the dumbest thing the city has ever done. Could somebody enlighten me on the benefits or purposes for that? Downtown would probably be twice as big if they would have just left it alone. Im sure dense cities like NYC and Baltimore didn't demolish their whole downtown!

I went to the barnes and noble bookstore on odu campus and they have a book that sits at the register. I forgot the name of it, but its a Norfolk History book FILLED with pictures. I am talking about hundreds of photos of what norfolk was like back in the day. I am a little pissed that we do not have any of these photos hanging up around town, I surpised to see the pictures they had. I mean, it was laced with all types of things. Most of us see pictures of granby street, this has the greater DT Norfolk as well. Its amazing. So if that pissed you off, that is really going to distrub you.

I went to the barnes and noble bookstore on odu campus and they have a book that sits at the register. I forgot the name of it, but its a Norfolk History book FILLED with pictures. I am talking about hundreds of photos of what norfolk was like back in the day. I am a little pissed that we do not have any of these photos hanging up around town, I surpised to see the pictures they had. I mean, it was laced with all types of things. Most of us see pictures of granby street, this has the greater DT Norfolk as well. Its amazing. So if that pissed you off, that is really going to distrub you.

I recieved the book recently as a gift. It's really an excellent book, very informative as well.

I could be wrong, but I thought tidewater encompassed a greater area than the 757. I thought this fell in line with the piedmont religion and all that BS. I thought Hampton roads was derived as the economic center of tidewater region, Norfolk being the epicenter. I can not recall what we were referred to before the area code switch, but I personally like the term "7 cities". When people say tidewater, I think Franklin, Williamsburg, Southampton roads region, etc to include the 7 cities...Can not remember what my Norview High Edu-ma-cation taught me.

Yes Technically Tidewater was everything east of the piedmont of Virginia, but this area took on the term Tidewater and it was pretty understood that meant Norfolk, Va. Beach, Portsmouth, Chesapeake, Suffolk, Hampton and Newport News. Although I seem to remember the southside being called tidewater and the Peninsula was the Peninsula. By the way the area code use to be 804 but because of population increases (running out of phone numbers) in the 1980s the Richmond Area became 804 and Hampton Roads became 757. Franklin and Southampton were considered part of southside Virginia which encompasses cities like Petersburg and Emporia. Williamsburg was referred to as the middle peninsula or just the peninsula. The only reason why anyone would cross the water over the two laned interstate 64 bridge tunnel was to travel to other parts of Virginia or the US or to attend an event at the Hampton Coliseum or maybe work at Newport News Shipyard. Darn the area sure has changed since I left way back in 1984.

I recieved the book recently as a gift. It's really an excellent book, very informative as well.

Does this book contain photographs from Carrol Walker? He signed my Norfolk Historical book way back in 1982.

Yes Technically Tidewater was everything east of the piedmont of Virginia, but this area took on the term Tidewater and it was pretty understood that meant Norfolk, Va. Beach, Portsmouth, Chesapeake, Suffolk, Hampton and Newport News. Although I seem to remember the southside being called tidewater and the Peninsula was the Peninsula. By the way the area code use to be 804 but because of population increases (running out of phone numbers) in the 1980s the Richmond Area became 804 and Hampton Roads became 757. Franklin and Southampton were considered part of southside Virginia which encompasses cities like Petersburg and Emporia. Williamsburg was referred to as the middle peninsula or just the peninsula. The only reason why anyone would cross the water over the two laned interstate 64 bridge tunnel was to travel to other parts of Virginia or the US or to attend an event at the Hampton Coliseum or maybe work at Newport News Shipyard. Darn the area sure has changed since I left way back in 1984.

Does this book contain photographs from Carrol Walker? He signed my Norfolk Historical book way back in 1982.

Yup, remember the 804 days, although I can't remember who we adjusted. I was young anyways and no such things as cell phones during that time.

2 laned bridge tunnell, remember as well, I also remember how long it to to build that thing.

The Sargeant Room at the new library has an extensive history of old photos. Yes, I'm pissed that great buildings like the Monticello Hotel and Atlantic Hotel were torn down. Without trying to defend the redevelopment actions from the 50s and 60s, which as has been said were actions that went too far, I will point out a few differences in those days. The public rushed to the suburbs for more space, less crime, less traffic. So the demand for downtown efficiencies was less. And there was no such thing as mixed use, so an old hotel couldn't be retrofitted to accommodate offices, classrooms, libraries, even apartments. There was no such thing as condos, so older buildings, no matter how historic or beautiful, were never converted to residential living, particularly when everyone wanted to live in the suburbs with a white picket fence. Even hotels themselves got new suburban units, with pools and other stuff. A city like NY has everything located in downtown, so the demand was still there. One guy may not have wanted it, but another guy saw the location and loved it. Again, I which the old buildings (Armory, Union Station, etc.) were still here, but it's almost understandable why they're not.

• 1 month later...

Vintage photo of a dirt road believed to be Va. Beach Blvd.

post-7721-1242829765_thumb.jpg

Brambleton Ave. early 1960s:

post-7721-1242829830_thumb.jpg

That first one looks more like something outa northern minnesota where I grew up :)

The second... I'm glad we have the new brambleton! Very cool to see the vintage automobiles though!

That first one looks more like something outa northern minnesota where I grew up :)

The second... I'm glad we have the new brambleton! Very cool to see the vintage automobiles though!

The goold ole days when American carmakers made just a few models rather than making a hundred which led to more defects, watered down mechnical expertise, and higher prices.

• 2 months later...

Norfolk Plaza Hotel

I made a topic on Norfolk Plaza Hotel!

This is probably one of the least-loved buildings in Norfolk and while I agree it has seen better days, I would argue for a complete restoration to its 1960 glory rather than demolition.

According to Wikipedia (which you can believe... or not), this is a Morris Lapidus building (think Fontainebleau Hotel in Miami Beach). That alone makes it worthy of saving, especially in a city that has done so much to eradicate interesting architecture in favor of a neo-urban Williamsburg aesthetic.

Have a look at these pictures from a circa 1970 brochure to get a feel for what it once was. This was where the city's movers and shakers came to party, even forming a sort of "rat pack" clique in a notorious "key club" which reatured rabbit-eared and bunny-tailed waitresses. Check out the view of Scope under construction behind the couple having breakfast. And note especially the Lapidus flourishes in the entrance area and lobby.

Rather than tearing it down, I would love to see all that restored. I think it has the potential to become a retro hotel/nightclub/lounge destination for a hipper, more urban traveler who's looking for something a bit edgier than the folks at Westin, Marriott, Sheraton or Hyatt currently offer.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/ny_wahoo/GTBrochureCover.jpg

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/ny_wahoo/GTWelcome.jpg

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/ny_wahoo/GTAccommodations.jpg

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/ny_wahoo/GTNationsRoom.jpg

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/ny_wahoo/GTNorfolkTour.jpg

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/ny_wahoo/GTPoolside.jpg

On the bottom of the second to last link- This one- http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/ny...NorfolkTour.jpg

It says "Keep in mind, we are within easy walking distance via a passageways directly connected with Scope. " Cool. Did you know that? I didn't know that. Are they still used or did they weld them shut 20 years ago?

Edited by metalman

On the bottom of the second to last link- This one- http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/ny...NorfolkTour.jpg

It says "Keep in mind, we are within easy walking distance via a passageways directly connected with Scope. " Cool. Did you know that? I didn't know that. Are they still used or did they weld them shut 20 years ago?

Excellent question. I wondered about that too. I almost think that maybe those passageways were planned but not actually built. I followed the construction of Scope pretty closely and I don't recall any work under Brambleton Avenue which is what would have been necessary for those passageways to exist. I stayed at the Radisson several years ago and asked if there was anybody left from the old Golden Triangle days who might be familiar with the history of the place. They just looked at me like I was nuts. So unless someone knows somebody at Scope who might know...

• 3 weeks later...