Norfolk History

wrldcoupe4

• 2 weeks later...

I have more photos like this and when I can get around to scanning and restoring I'll post them on Flickr and here.

In this photo is the Trailways bus depot, the Seaboard Bank building (now Town Bank), on the left is the Customs House and the Atlantic Hotel.

Jerry

Edited by jwkphoto

I have more photos like this and when I can get around to scanning and restoring I'll post them on Flickr and here.

In this photo is the Trailways bus depot, the Seaboard Bank building (now Town Bank), on the left is the Customs House and the Atlantic Hotel.

Jerry

please do, I have found it quite hard to come across photos from before urban renewal of Norfolk...it would be nice to see how the area once looked before tearing it all down.

For some reason,the old pictures of Norfolk appear to be more urban. Im sure there were many flaws during this time socially such as segregation and urban decay. That said, it just looks so not southern to me. Old photos of Norfolk appear to be very telling of a vibrant town. I hear stories time to time about the city years past and I'm so wanting to see a documentary on the city of Norfolk that speaks of these changes from the 1880's till Now! At least 2 hours would be needed maybe 2 and a half. Love these old pictures makes me feel like im from a very important city present and past! L.G.N.M

For some reason,the old pictures of Norfolk appear to be more urban. Im sure there were many flaws during this time socially such as segregation and urban decay. That said, it just looks so not southern to me. Old photos of Norfolk appear to be very telling of a vibrant town. I hear stories time to time about the city years past and I'm so wanting to see a documentary on the city of Norfolk that speaks of these changes from the 1880's till Now! At least 2 hours would be needed maybe 2 and a half. Love these old pictures makes me feel like im from a very important city present and past! L.G.N.M

There is a documentary that is shown on Norfolk cable TV periodicially all about old downtown Norfolk. Not sure of the title or if it's commercially available.

Here is a link to my Flickr page, I've uploaded 21 more photos by Norfolk photographer William McIntosh whom I've worked for since 1964. I have a few more I'll post at a later date.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jwkphoto/sets...57622065842061/

I have one I made in Dec 1962 at http://www.flickr.com/photos/jwkphoto/3080...57610407693085/

Hope you enjoy!

Jerry

Here is a link to my Flickr page, I've uploaded 21 more photos by Norfolk photographer William McIntosh whom I've worked for since 1964. I have a few more I'll post at a later date.

I have one I made in Dec 1962 at http://www.flickr.com/photos/jwkphoto/3080...57610407693085/

Hope you enjoy!

Jerry

Where do I send the check to get prints? Some of those are really nice.

great photos, those are such rare finds...I would love to come across a huge collection of photos taken from the "17 Acres" which makes up the land north of City Hall Blvd...which by the way, City Hall Blvd should really still look much like this, there is little excuse for changing this street as much as they have.

3872220421_0a64132bd6_o.jpg

from jwkphoto, of course

Edited by urbanlife

Those are some great pictures. It's sad to look back on the past and to think Norfolk was on pace to become one of the biggest cities in the country. But really guys, Downtown is a much, much better place then it could have been without urban renewal. Urbanlife, City Hall Avenue looks 10X better now, then it does in that picture. ^_^

Here's the link to Bill McIntosh's website: www.mcintoshportraits.com

Please select the giftshop for products and if you want any other prints please use the contact info email.

Bill is a Norfolk native and after WWII, went into the photography business in 1948. He had a studio in the downtown area for a while, then moved to 21St Street. He's still active in the portrait business with his daughter, Leslie.

Edited by jwkphoto

Hope you enjoy!

Jerry

3872221009_3996458f20.jpg

This one was my favorite, because of the older buildings that I recognize. Loew's Theater is now the Roper Center for TCC. Of course, Norva is still the Norva, but they revamped it so the entrance is now on Monticello. The guy standing in the lower right corner adds a human touch to the streetscape. The sign at the shoestore in the middle of the photo with a burned out "S" has a totally different meaning in 2009 than anyone would have thought of in 1955. :whistling:

3872220323_06f9a50a0e.jpg

The Commodore Maury Hotel on the right side still exists, and is being converted to offices.

By the way, the TCC Walker Building is next door to the Roper Performing Arts Center (formerly the Loew's Theater). Before TCC converted it, it was a W.T. Grant's Department store, complete with a snack counter in the back (inside the Monticello Avenue entrance). Before it was a department store, it was a YMCA. I've been in the basement where the swimming pool was. The ceramic tile with numbers indicating the pool depth were still visiible.

Those are some great pictures. It's sad to look back on the past and to think Norfolk was on pace to become one of the biggest cities in the country. But really guys, Downtown is a much, much better place then it could have been without urban renewal. Urbanlife, City Hall Avenue looks 10X better now, then it does in that picture. ^_^

Care to explain to me how it is 10X better now? Or do you mean just looks? Because City Hall Ave was once a street that was full of old buildings and businesses all along the sidewalk (which all of those old buildings are shells that could of been renovated into B Class office space, retail and restaurant space at each ground floor, possibly even condo and apartments could of ended up in many of them, not to mention there is already chances for urban infill in the City Hall Ave that once was.) Current City Hall Ave is nothing more than a traffic street with a connection to the interstate...the only real purpose that this street serves any more is its connection to garages, there is no chance that this street could ever have the sidewalk activity that Granby can have...which the goal with any downtown is to have as many "Granby like" streets as you can.

There is a documentary that is shown on Norfolk cable TV periodicially all about old downtown Norfolk. Not sure of the title or if it's commercially available.

If someone can record, perhaps post it online or something?

If you can get me a copy of it I can see if it can be posted to youtube or vimeo.

By the way, the TCC Walker Building is next door to the Roper Performing Arts Center (formerly the Loew's Theater). Before TCC converted it, it was a W.T. Grant's Department store, complete with a snack counter in the back (inside the Monticello Avenue entrance). Before it was a department store, it was a YMCA. I've been in the basement where the swimming pool was. The ceramic tile with numbers indicating the pool depth were still visiible.

And you can still see a "GRANT'S" on the ground outside one of the exits.

Care to explain to me how it is 10X better now? Or do you mean just looks? Because City Hall Ave was once a street that was full of old buildings and businesses all along the sidewalk (which all of those old buildings are shells that could of been renovated into B Class office space, retail and restaurant space at each ground floor, possibly even condo and apartments could of ended up in many of them, not to mention there is already chances for urban infill in the City Hall Ave that once was.) Current City Hall Ave is nothing more than a traffic street with a connection to the interstate...the only real purpose that this street serves any more is its connection to garages, there is no chance that this street could ever have the sidewalk activity that Granby can have...which the goal with any downtown is to have as many "Granby like" streets as you can.

I remember the downtown of the 1950s and 1960s. It was an exciting place to go to and explore, people everywhere, the neon lights at night, over a half dozen movie theaters with big screens and fancy decorations, the two beautiful arcades, the smells from the Planter peanut store, hundreds of local stores to explore all with different designs, hobby shops, camera stores, etc. There was a Colonial Stores Super Market with a parking lot on top of the roof! To me, malls are boring, everything looks the same. Downtown then had diversity. We had a real farmer's market that was great. There was no "plan" to downtown, that's what made it so interesting.

Jerry

Edited by jwkphoto

I remember the downtown of the 1950s and 1960s. It was an exciting place to go to and explore, people everywhere, the neon lights at night, over a half dozen movie theaters with big screens and fancy decorations, the two beautiful arcades, the smells from the Planter peanut store, hundreds of local stores to explore all with different designs, hobby shops, camera stores, etc. There was a Colonial Stores Super Market with a parking lot on top of the roof! To me, malls are boring, everything looks the same. Downtown then had diversity. We had a real farmer's market that was great. There was no "plan" to downtown, that's what made it so interesting.

Jerry

Wow jwkphoto, the info you gave got me excited sir! I agree that the early Norfolk seems more vibrant and remember as a kid myself shopping downtown. Granby Street at the time was closed to traffic. We would shop there and not the mall. When downtown opened the street back up it went down. Today is an improvement over say 15 years ago and I give Norfolk some respect for there effort. Based on what they had to work with downtown is so far done well. That said, the 1940's and 1960's downtown seems more urban. When Im in Baltimore or Charlotte etc. I feel Im in a city of substance. Dont get mad guys I love Norfolk but we lost our substance with The MacArthur Center. Norfolks problems are because of the city leaders. I wish one day that not just Granby Street was active after 6pm and that all the streets were as active as the Norfolk of the past!!! Love Norfolks history and can see that Norfolk was capable of becoming a big city!!!!! The city leaders of the past are the blame but, at least they are trying now and I give them credit there making changes to improve the city!!!

I have moved all of Bill McIntosh's photographs of old Norfolk, Virginia, to it's own Flickr account at http://www.flickr.com/photos/wsmcintosh/se...57622094995387/. This is so I can keep our photographs seperate.

Please tell all your friends and let them enjoy the photographs too! Thank you for taking the time to view them.

Jerry

Edited by jwkphoto

I have moved all of Bill McIntosh's photographs of old Norfolk, Virginia, to it's own Flickr account at http://www.flickr.com/photos/wsmcintosh/se...57622094995387/. This is so I can keep our photographs seperate.

Please tell all your friends and let them enjoy the photographs too! Thank you for taking the time to view them.

Jerry

These pictures are great sir. I think its great when someone brings good to this forum and you sir have. Love the pictures you sent! Great eye opening pictures of Norfolk. L.G.N.M

Oh my gosh. You guys have to look at this website. It has the best historical images of Norfolk I have ever seen. I'm impressed.

http://www.npl.lib.va.us/absoluteig/gallery.asp?categoryid=1

Norfolk was a big city back in the day. Like New York big.

They have way more photos than that.

I should go look in that room and see what's up. Maybe I can borrow my boss's very small flatbed scanner and scan better stuff in their collection.