Norfolk History

wrldcoupe4

I'd wondered why the streetcars were removed. Didn't realize congestion played a huge role in it. A lot of fascinating history about the city, although I think if it were me with a blank slate in the 1950s, I still would've laid things out differently, esp. with Tidewater Park and downtown.

• 1 month later...

Old photos of Norfolk make me depressed for Norfolk, it has so much historic urban history that was erased. The city could have had a much larger urban core today had it not bulldozed so much of its history. Had the city built all the new buildings for the "new downtown" that replaced the historic core along what is now St Paul Quadrant, it would have doubled the city's downtown and would have created a new tower district next to a historic urban core.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
1 hour ago, NFKjeff said:

Actually, most of what is in that photo, which is of Granby St., still exists.

You're right. What was getting me was the Norva sign. The Norva entrance is on Monticello not Granby. I was getting the two streets confused because of that. That made me flip the picture and think that the water is to your back looking towards the Scope, of which the buildings don't go too much farther down from there. Not like in the picture at least. However, I used Google street view and assumed the Norva had an entrance on Granby too and figured out the large white and brick building on the right with the fire escape is The James where Grilled Cheese Bistro is. Also, the cross street where the streetcar is located is Freemason.

Edited by Virginia City

2 hours ago, Virginia City said:

You're right. What was getting me was the Norva sign. The Norva entrance is on Monticello not Granby. I was getting the two streets confused because of that. That made me flip the picture and think that the water is to your back looking towards the Scope, of which the buildings don't go too much farther down from there. Not like in the picture at least. However, I used Google street view and assumed the Norva had an entrance on Granby too and figured out the large white and brick building on the right with the fire escape is The James where Grilled Cheese Bistro is. Also, the cross street where the streetcar is located is Freemason.

It’s easy to forget that the Norva’s entrance was on Granby. I’m thinking this was taken from the Flatiron building, which was demolished & is now a park. 

• 2 weeks later...