Norfolk History

wrldcoupe4

when they do one day tear it down, I do hope they build something that could fit an NBA team if the city got one, which would also allow for bigger concerts and such.

Plus it would need to be designed by one of the best architects out there doing stadium work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah me too! I don't know if they will build one anytime soon. It might be 10-20 years from now before they get around to it.

Norfolk's land use plan calls for a new arena either at a city owned site between MacArthur and Scope or on the Elizabeth west of Harbor Park. tombarnes, is the latter site the one you're saying Gadams may try to get?  It is also slated for residential development if the MacArthur site is chosen for a new arena.  The MacArthur site is slated for mixed-use if the waterfront site is chosen.

Padman, the Scope-Chrysler Hall complex doesn't fit in with the rest of downtown.  It is stand-offish.  But I do agree on your take of its architecture.  The buttresses were the only way that the roof could be supported without comprosing seating and sight lines inside.  I'm trying to figure out if Chrsyler Hall has any architectural value.  Once Norfolk builds a new arena, convert Scope into a 3,000-seat concert hall and demolish Chrysler Hall.  The former site could be redeveloped and would include a larger garage.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That large open plaza area that looks like it was intended for imaginary NATO functions could be softened with trees and grass, if the lower level would support it. It could be similar to San Francisco's Moscone Center in that regard. Yes, Scope could contain a new concert hall with better acoustics than Chrysler Hall has, and some smaller more intimate rooms as well. It could be a great project

Scope is having alot of structural problems right now and is going to cost alot of money to fix it. My dad worked on Scope when it was constructed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is a rumor that there wasnt expoxy coated rebar on the outside slanted columns. This causes the rebar to oxidate and concrete to fail creating spauls and cracks. Over time this will only get worse unless some sort of repair method is done. The building is out of date inside and out but I just dont see them ripping that place down and building new.

We recently made lots of interior upgrades to this hundred year old carnegie public library building that we own to restore it to its original look. Exteroir architecture is amazing, go by and take a look. We are actually selling this property if anyone is interested. In My opinion this is one of Norfolks greatest historical buildings. Located on Freemason.

Front-elevation.jpg

DSC00081-2.jpg

Atrium-2.jpg

Atrium.jpg

That is a pretty amazing place. Your family has done some great work with the upgrades. I wouldnt mind coming and seeing that for myself.

I am have a big interest for the history of this area. Its always good to see that someone still has the same interest and actually puts forth the effort to keep it in great condition. Great job.

It wasa built in 1903 by Andrwe Carnegie. He did a series of public libraries all over the U.S. and this is one of the only ones left standing. There is some really interesting architectural detailing on the outside of the building. If you look up close the whole outside of the building has famouse authors names carved into it, very cool. If you go by to take a look just tell anyone that asks that you are interested in purchasing and the agent told you to come by and take a quick look. THe outside and the foyer are the best parts of the building and noone should bother you if you are in the foyer looking around.

It wasa built in 1903 by Andrwe Carnegie.  He did a series of public libraries all over the U.S. and this is one of the only ones left standing.  There is some really interesting architectural detailing on the outside of the building.  If you look up close the whole outside of the building has famouse authors names carved into it, very cool.  If you go by to take a look just tell anyone that asks that you are interested in purchasing and the agent told you to come by and take a quick look.  THe outside and the foyer are the best parts of the building and noone should bother you if you are in the foyer looking around.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you so much! Its a beautiful building and hope this one does get perserved!

• 1 month later...

Great pictures. I saw The Time Machine at the Loews (oh well, it was better than the remake). :cry: What a shock to see that shot. I remember that I had brought this giant disfigured, wart encrusted rubber hand to the movie, and a young girl sat in front of me. When the Morlocks attacked, I got her with the hand. I leave the rest to our imaginations. These days, a kid could be jailed for less. A film classic.

Great pictures. I saw The Time Machine at the Loews (oh well, it was better than the remake). :cry: What a shock to see that shot. I remember that I had brought this giant disfigured, wart encrusted rubber hand to the movie, and a young girl sat in front of me. When the Morlocks attacked, I got her with the hand. I leave the rest to our imaginations. These days, a kid could be jailed for less. A film classic.

See, that ain't right... when I look at old pictures of DT Norfolk and Church Street it makes me sick to my stomach :sick:

How could Norfolk tear down so much instead of trying to preserve and renovate most of those buildings. Looking at Norfolk now, its like that era didn't even exist. Nice pics Willy.

Was there a flood or a fire that destroyed a lot of those buildings DT???

See, that ain't right... when I look at old pictures of DT Norfolk and Church Street it makes me sick to my stomach :sick:

How could Norfolk tear down so much instead of trying to preserve and renovate most of those buildings. Looking at Norfolk now, its like that era didn't even exist. Nice pics Willy.

I've heard that the buildings were left to rot and they were inhabitable so they knocked them down. :shok:

No, just the Norfolk Redevelopment and Housing Authority. There was probably more left of Hiroshima, Dresden and Nagasaki after we were done with those cities. The thing that amazed so many of us was how long it took for everything to rebuild. I don't know why they didn't take things in manageable bites. City planning is a much more open, public centered process than it was then. But now it's hard to get ANYTHING done. Look at how long it's taking to get the Hilton squared away.

That one picture of Norfolk from a birds eye view in 1930 is incredible. It is so dense and city like. It is so sad to see how much of a city norfolk was and how they demolished just about EVERYTHING.

Very, very sad. It makes you wonder what Norfolk could have been if that never would of happend.... :cry:

Edited by Greekboy80