Norfolk History

wrldcoupe4

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2021 at 8:04 AM, EJ_LEWIS said:

The Chrysler Museum of Art looks at the history of the Norfolk Scope and its Italian Architect  Pier Luigi Nervi.  Scope remains one of Norfolk's most iconic structures.  

https://www.pilotonline.com/entertainment/arts/vp-db-scope-anniversary-100321-20211003-tb5smvxlgrh5rnmzbwz2v5nsbi-story.html#nt=pf-double chain~top-headlines~feed-driven flex feature~automated~unnamed-feature~TB5SMVXLGRH5RNMZBWZ2V5NSBI~2~6~2~5~art yes

The Scope is also one of the few buildings that Pier Luigi Nervi did in the US. His work is definitely worth studying, such impressive concrete work.

• Like 3

So I guess this can be considered Norfolk history ties to the rock band Queen. I'm not sure if this is 100% accurate or not but I'm just going by the article. According to the article, Queen was playing a show at Scope and was to view the artwork of Virginia  Beach artist Frank Kelly Freas a few hours before the show. Freas was a Sci-Fi artist and the band loved his art and asked him to recreate one of his works for their upcoming album, News of the World. According to the article, the robot on the album is tearing into the roof of Norfolk Scope to get to the audience. If true, Scope is featured on the album of a famous Queen album!

Article: http://www.hardcorenorfolk.com/testing-blog/2019/8/15/the-top-30-historical-rock-shows-in-tidewater-ever

Screenshot_20211012-203055_Facebook.jpg

th.jpeg

Edited by zeppelin14
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, EJ_LEWIS said:

Aerial photo of Downtown Norfolk in 1965 looking south in the foreground is the Golden Triangle Motor Hotel.  

1 hour ago, urbanvb said:

That’s one of the saddest photos I’ve seen of downtown. It’s unimaginable really…:(

It truly hurts every time I see these images after knowing what used to be there.

• Like 1

Considering I've been working in New York for the past three weeks, I think the one way streets give you a big city feel (practically every street in New York is one way).  I think Granby street is too narrow for two way traffic now especially when you're facing a delivery truck or even passing by all of the outdoor seating areas taking up parking spaces.  My $.02.

Two directional forces cars to slow down more, which is exactly what you want in the downtown area with so many pedestrians around. New York has one way streets because their extremely high density grid pattern means that if every street was 2 way it would severely clog things up. Norfolk is nowhere near having this problem. 

I do wish that Norfolk would think about making some of the streets between Killiam and Colley one way, I don't think 2 cars can fit next to each other on most of those streets.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Arctic_Tern said:

I do wish that Norfolk would think about making some of the streets between Killiam and Colley one way, I don't think 2 cars can fit next to each other on most of those streets.

I know most of Ghent/Chelsea and Park Place's neighborhood streets are one way, but it surprises me that Colonial Place isn't set up like this as well. Going down some of those "state" streets in CP is a fustercluck because they're clearly not designed for two-way traffic, plus cars parallel parked on the street.

8 hours ago, Norf Native said:

Considering I've been working in New York for the past three weeks, I think the one way streets give you a big city feel (practically every street in New York is one way).  I think Granby street is too narrow for two way traffic now especially when you're facing a delivery truck or even passing by all of the outdoor seating areas taking up parking spaces.  My $.02.

New York has to do one way streets because their streets are too narrow for being two lane, especially with the amount of vehicles that move around in Manhattan, plus when working with a grid system, one way streets make it easier to time lights for traffic flow. A street like Granby would make no sense as a one way street because it would have a complimentary one way street going the opposite way.