Jump to content

Norfolk History


wrldcoupe4

Recommended Posts

Two directional forces cars to slow down more, which is exactly what you want in the downtown area with so many pedestrians around. New York has one way streets because their extremely high density grid pattern means that if every street was 2 way it would severely clog things up. Norfolk is nowhere near having this problem. 

I do wish that Norfolk would think about making some of the streets between Killiam and Colley one way, I don't think 2 cars can fit next to each other on most of those streets.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


43 minutes ago, Arctic_Tern said:

I do wish that Norfolk would think about making some of the streets between Killiam and Colley one way, I don't think 2 cars can fit next to each other on most of those streets.

I know most of Ghent/Chelsea and Park Place's neighborhood streets are one way, but it surprises me that Colonial Place isn't set up like this as well. Going down some of those "state" streets in CP is a fustercluck because they're clearly not designed for two-way traffic, plus cars parallel parked on the street.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Norf Native said:

Considering I've been working in New York for the past three weeks, I think the one way streets give you a big city feel (practically every street in New York is one way).  I think Granby street is too narrow for two way traffic now especially when you're facing a delivery truck or even passing by all of the outdoor seating areas taking up parking spaces.  My $.02.

New York has to do one way streets because their streets are too narrow for being two lane, especially with the amount of vehicles that move around in Manhattan, plus when working with a grid system, one way streets make it easier to time lights for traffic flow. A street like Granby would make no sense as a one way street because it would have a complimentary one way street going the opposite way. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

This video is from the WAVY TV 10 Archive.  Its talking about redevelopment of the Church St. Brambleton Ave. corridor.  I remember when Church St. looked like this.  This predates the building of the US Post Office at the corner of Brambleton and Church St.   

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Looks like this was right before they demolished half of downtown. I also notice 264 wasn't yet built...I'd love to go back in time and rebuild downtown (and the city) differently to create a better flow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 3/8/2022 at 4:12 PM, BFG said:

Looks like this was right before they demolished half of downtown. I also notice 264 wasn't yet built...I'd love to go back in time and rebuild downtown (and the city) differently to create a better flow.

Actually most of the demo had been done by this time.  You can see almost everything from City Hall Ave up to Princess Anne Rd had been wiped clean, with the housing projects north of Brambleton having been built, the municipal complex nearly complete, etc.  Even a ton of the old buildings on the waterfront were demolished and turned to parking lots in this pic.  The first big NRHA redevelopment (err, destruction) project started in the early 1950s.  If you could find a pic from say 1949 or 1950, you'd see how much was lost between that time and the time this pic was taken in 1964.  After this shot, the rest of the waterfront area was demolished (not sure the year) to make way for Waterside/Town Point Park/etc.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, lammius said:

Actually most of the demo had been done by this time.  You can see almost everything from City Hall Ave up to Princess Anne Rd had been wiped clean, with the housing projects north of Brambleton having been built, the municipal complex nearly complete, etc.  Even a ton of the old buildings on the waterfront were demolished and turned to parking lots in this pic.  The first big NRHA redevelopment (err, destruction) project started in the early 1950s.  If you could find a pic from say 1949 or 1950, you'd see how much was lost between that time and the time this pic was taken in 1964.  After this shot, the rest of the waterfront area was demolished (not sure the year) to make way for Waterside/Town Point Park/etc.  

That makes total sense. 

IIRC Waterside Dr. (then Water St.) was cleared by the mid-70s. I believe the Omni/Sheraton opened around '76, and the pictures I've seen all show parking lots where the warehouses once stood.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
13 hours ago, mintscraft56 said:

Deleted?

Yes, I accidentally posted something in the wrong place. I wanted to remove it, but this site, as far as I know, doesn't allow us to just delete a post without the dialogue window staying open. This my "deleted" post.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, NFKjeff said:

Yes, I accidentally posted something in the wrong place. I wanted to remove it, but this site, as far as I know, doesn't allow us to just delete a post without the dialogue window staying open. This my "deleted" post.

Oh. I never tried deleting a post before so I never knew.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

My partner and I will be going to Harborfest next month in Norfolk.  This will be his first Harborfest and my first one in about 20 years.  Found this photo on the NRHA website of the 1979 Harborfest Parade of Sail.  I was in attendance with my parents at the 1979 Harborfest.  This was before Town Point Park, Waterside,  the USS Wisconsin, Nauticus and Half Moon and Celebration Center.  The waterfront was mostly made up of gravel parking lots, abandoned warehouses and a interesting molasses tank which was remade into the Pagoda.  

197901DWNTWNSOUTH00907.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe it’s just the angle, but I swear late-70s downtown had more density. That said…I’ll take the energy created in the 80s when Waterside opened and a few more of the current buildings. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, BFG said:

Maybe it’s just the angle, but I swear late-70s downtown had more density. That said…I’ll take the energy created in the 80s when Waterside opened and a few more of the current buildings. 

It could just look that way from picture angles and lighting. But with the recent Norfolk Development im pretty sure the city is denser than it used to be in the 70s.

Edited by mintscraft56
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.