Norfolk History

wrldcoupe4

On 5/23/2022 at 4:36 PM, mintscraft56 said:

Here is Norfolk Flooding like usual. Also is it just me, or did City hall look hella good before they did urban renewal around it?

Resilient Virginia held its "2019 Resilient Virginia Conference" last month

I so wish that the city wouldn't have done urban renewal the way they did and would have focused on building Brambleton and having a "new downtown" in what is now the Neon District. This would have preserved the old world look of downtown and expanded it to the north which could have seen office towers along the Hague.  It would have created such an interesting downtown.

• Like 3

On 5/25/2022 at 8:02 AM, mintscraft56 said:

This is not really Norfolk the city but this is the USS Norfolk the ship. Named after The City of Norfolk  the USS Norfolk served from the Atlantic to the Middle East. Sadly the ship was scrapped in the late  70s-80s. However her main guns and main bell reside back in her home City of Norfolk in or near the Naval Station Norfolk area. USS Norfolk (DL-1)

I feel we need another USS Norfolk! Sayig we do harbor the biggest navel base in the world! (PS there was also a very beautiful USS Newport News battleship.)

The USS Norfolk was the first and last of her kind to serve in the US navy.

There was an LA class Submarine named the USS Norfolk that served for 31 years until it was decommissioned in 2014.

Very excited about attending Harborfest for the first time in 23 years.  This will be my partner's first Harborfest and I hope it lives up to the hype that I have been telling him since we met 7 years ago.  In the meantime this photo is from the 1979 Harborfest parade of sail.  My Dad who has since passed was with me that afternoon to watch the Parade of Sail.  I really only wanted to go to see the Downtown Norfolk buildings.   My Dad knew I had very little interest in large sailing ships.  

197901DWNTWNSOUTH00907.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EJ_LEWIS said:

Very excited about attending Harborfest for the first time in 23 years.  This will be my partner's first Harborfest and I hope it lives up to the hype that I have been telling him since we met 7 years ago.  In the meantime this photo is from the 1979 Harborfest parade of sail.  My Dad who has since passed was with me that afternoon to watch the Parade of Sail.  I really only wanted to go to see the Downtown Norfolk buildings.   My Dad knew I had very little interest in large sailing ships.  

197901DWNTWNSOUTH00907.jpg

Great pic!  As a kid growing up in the area, Harborfest was one of the highlights of summer!  I remember going every year from the late 80s through the late 90s.  We knew school was just about over, and the festival itself was huge and fun!  My grandfather had a small sailboat he'd dock at Banana Pier for the weekend in those early years, and that was our base camp for all the festivities.  The festival was huge, covering Town Point Park, the space where Nauticus now sits, and some parking lots that existed at the time along Boush Street.  One side effect of Norfolk's rebound in the 1990s-00s was that the footprint of the Harborfest seemed to get smaller and smaller.  And the festival seemed less rowdy in the later years than the early ones.  

Portsmouth's Seawall Fest happened at the same time and was focused around Portside and where the Renaissance hotel now sits (was a parking lot before).  The lines for the ferry going back and forth between the two festivals was always incredibly long!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

This is what Young Terrace used to look like.

ND-HISTORICAL10612.jpg.a4b80d0fc0e4f359630486384d7de7fa.jpg

View of downtown pre-urban renewal. The ferry terminal in the bottom right corner.

ND-HISTORICAL11085.jpg.8346f9037c90dd00bfe784b1bec725a1.jpg

Looking north of City Hall Ave. This is where the MacArthur Mall sits today.

195801DWNTWNNORTH00096.jpg.b87392ca0982357f0a9191ba8cfc6fe0.jpg

View of downtown looking north.

195108HISTORICAL00057.jpg.7c53e8bfeaeb28a13095d8dc6119a46e.jpg

Buildings that used to exist on East Main St.

196112DWNTWNSOUTH00271.jpg.9a41387364ecaa6af137f31ebf58c605.jpg

And Church St looking south. In the middle bottom you can see the Attucks Theater and Virginia Baptist State Convention.

ND-PROJECTONE11059.jpg.00fba7ded3e9597d6e5fa1af290c075b.jpg

195801DWNTWNNORTH00096.jpg

Edited by urbanlife
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...