Jump to content

Norfolk History


wrldcoupe4

Recommended Posts

I think I found a new image, This is during a Christmas in late 1940s to early 1950s. The city really did look big back then. This is on Granby street Downtown Norfolk btw.

Holiday cheer was found by looking south on Granby Street from Freemason  Street in Downtown Norfolk. Taken around … | Virginia history, Norfolk  virginia, Norfolk va

Here is Norfolk Flooding like usual. Also is it just me, or did City hall look hella good before they did urban renewal around it?

Resilient Virginia held its "2019 Resilient Virginia Conference" last month

Edited by mintscraft56
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Downtown is much more dense then it was in the late 70s.  Where McArthur Center stands today use to be 17 acres of parking lots.  The city had many failed plans for that parcel of land before they found success with MacArthur Center in the 90s.   

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, EJ_LEWIS said:

Downtown is much more dense then it was in the late 70s.  Where McArthur Center stands today use to be 17 acres of parking lots.  The city had many failed plans for that parcel of land before they found success with MacArthur Center in the 90s.   

Then skip forward to today, Macarthur is now a problem for Downtown again.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is not really Norfolk the city but this is the USS Norfolk the ship. Named after The City of Norfolk  the USS Norfolk served from the Atlantic to the Middle East. Sadly the ship was scrapped in the late  70s-80s. However her main guns and main bell reside back in her home City of Norfolk in or near the Naval Station Norfolk area. USS Norfolk (DL-1)

I feel we need another USS Norfolk! Sayig we do harbor the biggest navel base in the world! (PS there was also a very beautiful USS Newport News battleship.)

The USS Norfolk was the first and last of her kind to serve in the US navy.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/23/2022 at 4:36 PM, mintscraft56 said:



Here is Norfolk Flooding like usual. Also is it just me, or did City hall look hella good before they did urban renewal around it?

Resilient Virginia held its "2019 Resilient Virginia Conference" last month

I so wish that the city wouldn't have done urban renewal the way they did and would have focused on building Brambleton and having a "new downtown" in what is now the Neon District. This would have preserved the old world look of downtown and expanded it to the north which could have seen office towers along the Hague.  It would have created such an interesting downtown.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/25/2022 at 8:02 AM, mintscraft56 said:

This is not really Norfolk the city but this is the USS Norfolk the ship. Named after The City of Norfolk  the USS Norfolk served from the Atlantic to the Middle East. Sadly the ship was scrapped in the late  70s-80s. However her main guns and main bell reside back in her home City of Norfolk in or near the Naval Station Norfolk area. USS Norfolk (DL-1)

I feel we need another USS Norfolk! Sayig we do harbor the biggest navel base in the world! (PS there was also a very beautiful USS Newport News battleship.)

The USS Norfolk was the first and last of her kind to serve in the US navy.

There was an LA class Submarine named the USS Norfolk that served for 31 years until it was decommissioned in 2014.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/6/2022 at 3:30 AM, Virginia City said:

There was an LA class Submarine named the USS Norfolk that served for 31 years until it was decommissioned in 2014.

Oh, I didint know that! I hope we get another one! And for goodness sake I hope it is stationed in Norfolk!

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Very excited about attending Harborfest for the first time in 23 years.  This will be my partner's first Harborfest and I hope it lives up to the hype that I have been telling him since we met 7 years ago.  In the meantime this photo is from the 1979 Harborfest parade of sail.  My Dad who has since passed was with me that afternoon to watch the Parade of Sail.  I really only wanted to go to see the Downtown Norfolk buildings.   My Dad knew I had very little interest in large sailing ships.  

197901DWNTWNSOUTH00907.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, EJ_LEWIS said:

Very excited about attending Harborfest for the first time in 23 years.  This will be my partner's first Harborfest and I hope it lives up to the hype that I have been telling him since we met 7 years ago.  In the meantime this photo is from the 1979 Harborfest parade of sail.  My Dad who has since passed was with me that afternoon to watch the Parade of Sail.  I really only wanted to go to see the Downtown Norfolk buildings.   My Dad knew I had very little interest in large sailing ships.  

197901DWNTWNSOUTH00907.jpg

Great pic!  As a kid growing up in the area, Harborfest was one of the highlights of summer!  I remember going every year from the late 80s through the late 90s.  We knew school was just about over, and the festival itself was huge and fun!  My grandfather had a small sailboat he'd dock at Banana Pier for the weekend in those early years, and that was our base camp for all the festivities.  The festival was huge, covering Town Point Park, the space where Nauticus now sits, and some parking lots that existed at the time along Boush Street.  One side effect of Norfolk's rebound in the 1990s-00s was that the footprint of the Harborfest seemed to get smaller and smaller.  And the festival seemed less rowdy in the later years than the early ones.  

Portsmouth's Seawall Fest happened at the same time and was focused around Portside and where the Renaissance hotel now sits (was a parking lot before).  The lines for the ferry going back and forth between the two festivals was always incredibly long!

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.