Museum Developments in Richmond

wrldcoupe4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Uh, a parking deck?  On the Pulse line?  What!?  What are your thoughts on the Science Muesum of Virginia building this parking deck and creating a green space where there is currently a parking lot between the Children's Museum and the Science Museum of Virginia?

http://www.richmond.com/illustrative-site-plan/pdf_387ad81c-d1d8-5b3b-98de-fd8ccc42ae4f.html

Parking deckParking deck 2

• Like 4

Personally I fine with it. It could actually end up freeing up surface parking and seeing how this will be used almost solely for the science museum, it could decrease the need for parking elsewhere in the area, possibly leading to more green space and more development.

• Like 2

I would prefer to see some development where that green space is, but otherwise I like it.  Since they have decent highway access, having extra parking near Science Museum and Cleveland Pulse stations would be nice for entry points for riding elsewhere.

• Like 1

Don't mind it. The additional green space feels like an extension of the current green space to the right (with the Grand Kugel). And at least leaving it like that will leave it available for development in the future if someone feels like it. Anything (and that includes green space) is better than a surface parking lot.

• Like 3

On 4/6/2018 at 4:10 PM, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

Don't mind it. The additional green space feels like an extension of the current green space to the right (with the Grand Kugel). And at least leaving it like that will leave it available for development in the future if someone feels like it. Anything (and that includes green space) is better than a surface parking lot.

Not against this at all. However, I do not agree with the idea that any green space is better than surface parking lot. While I despise surface parking, used space is always better than non-used space yes even for parking. If we turned 4 blocks of surface parking into a big ole park that wasn't popular and was never used it would most definitely be worse. It can attract crime and lower property values.  Obviously I think the museum would use this space however so not really a concern here :)

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
4 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

The governor’s budget has initial funding for a 100,000 SF, $126M expansion of the VMFA which would also include repairs to the 2010 expansion and a new sculpture garden.

https://www.virginiamercury.com/2019/01/04/major-vmfa-expansion-gets-boost-in-northams-budget/

The plans call for “expanded exhibition galleries, collection-support, collaborative and educational spaces for meetings and programs and development of a new sculpture garden,” museum officials wrote.

I’m not into art, but this bodes well for the museum.  I heard it’s the largest art museum on the east coast outside of NYC (not sure if that’s true).  If this expansion happens, it could put this museum (and essentially, Richmond) on the map for art museums.  People travel great distances to see art museums (not sure why).  I know this because I was on a flight from JAX to RIC once and sat next to a couple who were coming to Richmond just to go to the art museum.  Crazy, but people are doing it.  Whatever it takes to get people to come visit Richmond!!

5 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

The governor’s budget has initial funding for a 100,000 SF, $126M expansion of the VMFA which would also include repairs to the 2010 expansion and a new sculpture garden.

https://www.virginiamercury.com/2019/01/04/major-vmfa-expansion-gets-boost-in-northams-budget/

The plans call for “expanded exhibition galleries, collection-support, collaborative and educational spaces for meetings and programs and development of a new sculpture garden,” museum officials wrote.

I hope that this happens.  Richmond is beyond fortunate to have a national caliber art museum.  Many art museums in cities far larger than Richmond pale in comparison to the VMFA.  Expanding the VMFA will only strengthen the museum and hopefully expand the overall collection.  Given how the previous expansion went, I am excited to see the renderings, if and when this happens.  

• Like 4

I remember when it was a big deal that Picasso exhibit came to VMFA like 6-7 (?) years ago. I went to it. Really then I understood how big of a deal the 2010 expansion was. It's a gorgeous building too, one of the highest quality building projects of the last decade in RVA.

Thus, I'm super excited at the prospect of another massive expansion.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

I remember when it was a big deal that Picasso exhibit came to VMFA like 6-7 (?) years ago. I went to it. Really then I understood how big of a deal the 2010 expansion was. It's a gorgeous building too, one of the highest quality building projects of the last decade in RVA.

Thus, I'm super excited at the prospect of another massive expansion.

I went to that as well.  These rotating exhibits are brilliant.  They bring extra foot traffic into the museum and surrounding neighborhood.

Edited by Shakman

The VMFA is an incredible place to visit.  Having been a member there for several years and seen some incredible exhibits (Picasso, Terracotta Army, Yves St. Laurent, Rodin, etc.), it is just a great place to visit, walk around, have a drink and mingle.  They put up those exhibits brilliantly, so that it flows well from start to finish.  My kids enjoy it and they like running around in the courtyard behind the cafe.  Plus, it is in a great part of the city.  When the VMFA was built, they knew what they were doing.  

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet, but Richmond beat out Asheville to get the Whitewater Hall of Fall and World River Center. No specifics on it's location, but I'd imagine somewhere near Brown's Island.  Wasn't there suppose to be another phase to Westrock/CoStar?

https://www.blueridgeoutdoors.com/paddling/richmond-va-not-asheville-nc-will-be-future-home-of-whitewater-hall-of-fame/

https://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/local/2019/04/09/asheville-loses-bid-host-whitewater-hall-fame-richmond/3236992002/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Thanks for sharing. At 60,000 sf it is not an insignificant structure. I’ve heard nothing about it. Curious on the details. 

Yeah, surprised about this announcement.  Seems that no Richmond news outlet knows anything about it.  Strange.  How did we win this without any media attention or even really trying?!?  Glad we got it though!!

Edited by eandslee