Museum Developments in Richmond

wrldcoupe4

The Virginia Holocaust Museum is hosting the largest exhibit in its history. It is called "Blessing" and details the collaboration between Jews and Christians during the turbulent war years in Poland.

Richmond is the 14th city chosen to display the exhibit.

From the RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/entertainment/2011/jan/23/tdarts01-virginia-holocaust-museum-opening-a-bless-ar-785269/

Virginia Holocaust Museum

2000 East Cary Street (the only building in 8-block-long Tobacco Row not converted to commercial or residential use.)

The exhibit opened January 24th and will run until June 1st

Admission is free.

Here is a video of the Holocaust Museum exhibit called "Pope John Paul II and The Jewish People."

From the RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/online/2011/jan/31/3/take-the-exhibit-tour-a-blessing-to-one-97204-vi-23990/

• 2 weeks later...

For those curious about the former Theatre Virginia in The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, it is now known as The Leslie Cheek Theatre and is used occasionally for special film programs and the occasional lecture.

It is my understanding that a local production of the play ART will be presented on the stage of the theatre later in this season.

I had lunch at AMUSE on a recent visit to Richmond but was unable to tour the museum, save for the stunning India galleries near the restaurant. After the fantastic construction of the new wings, I wouldn't have the foggiest idea of how to find the old theatre; but, it's still tucked in there in its old location. :)

I'm looking forward to a late spring visit to see the Picasso exhibition.

Edited by burt

Opening and pre-opening Galas are planned at VMFA this coming week.

Saturday evening, February 19th, beginning at 7PM after the Picasso show has officially launched, there will be cocktails, tapas and dancing until 11PM in the VMFA atrium. But tickets are pretty exxpensive -- $250 per person.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/entertainment/arts-literature/2011/feb/13/tdarts02-saturday-event-welcomes-picasso-exhibit-t-ar-832241/

The highly anticipated Picasso show opens tonight at The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts with a black-tie Gala for members.

The official public opening will be this Saturday, February 19th.

And there is a long list of specially planned events from lectures, films, musical concerts, to stage performances during the run of the exhibition -- from February 19th until May 15th.

From Richmond dot com:

http://www2.richmond.com/entertainment/2011/feb/15/special-picasso-events-ar-845244/

You can park and ride "To the Bottom and Back" buses for free on Saturdays to and from the Picasso Exhibit at VMFA.

Contributions are appreciated.

From today's Richmond dot com:

http://www2.richmond.com/entertainment/2011/feb/16/free-bus-rides-picasso-2bnb-ar-847842/

Click on the website embedded in this story for a larger view of the route map.

Tomorrow, Saturday February 19th, is the official opening day at VMFA of the Picasso collection from Musee National Picasso in Paris. Previews and Galas for members and sponsors began Wednesday.

Here is a video of visitors viewing the exhibit yesterday.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/entertainment/flair/2011/feb/17/picasso-exhibit-opens-at-virginia-museum-69794-vi-24527/

Tomorrow, Saturday February 19th, is the official opening day at VMFA of the Picasso collection from Musee National Picasso in Paris. Previews and Galas for members and sponsors began Wednesday.

Here is a video of visitors viewing the exhibit yesterday.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/entertainment/flair/2011/feb/17/picasso-exhibit-opens-at-virginia-museum-69794-vi-24527/

This is big news around here I've noticed. Ads on TV...ads everywhere! Should be nice!

Doors at VMFA opened this morning to throngs of visitors. Over 35,000 tickets have been pre-sold thus far. The Picasso Exhibit will continue for 12 more weeks and at least 200,000 people are expected to see it.

Story and video from this afternoon's edition of the RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...iews-ar-854642/

Edited by burt

• 3 weeks later...

The VMFA claims ticket sales are "going through the roof" for the Picasso Exhibition. But they are having MAJOR problems with their telephone and online ticketing system and could be losing considerable revenue. Efforts are currently underway to correct the situation.

• 2 weeks later...

The Times Dispatch has a story today about VMFA doing record business with the Picasso Exhibit.

Judging from difficulties I and several friends had trying to get tickets on line and through the telephone number, there is reason to believe that many people simply have given up on plans to see the exhibit.

Two weeks ago I tried numerous times on Friday, Saturday and Monday to access the box office. As a member, my attempts to reach the museum on-line were rejected, and each time I tried the phone system I was switched to a robotic voice which advised that due to volume, the mail box was full, so it was impossible to leave a message. The same thing happpened repeatedly to a couple of friends.

In desperation, I called the Director's office which interceded and personally instructed the sales staff to contact me. I now have my five tickets in hand for April 16th, but it was an ordeal.

With that kind of personal experience while trying to order tickets, it's reasonable to assume that many others endured similar treatment and will forego further attempts to gain admittance.

Today's news story says 73,840 people have visited the exhibit in its first month. IMO, the figure would have been considerably higher had the Museum planned and installed a competent ordering system.

Let's hope things improve at the box office for it's final three months at VMFA

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...-bre-ar-915095/

Edited by burt

Burt - you clearly need to become a Marriott Rewards member. :thumbsup: I received this email from Marriott early today regarding free tickets:

COME SEE PICASSO IN RICHMOND

FREE MUSEUM TICKETS AND BREAKFAST

Choose from four Richmond hotels and receive complimentary tickets to explore the exhibition: "Picasso: Masterpieces from the Musee National Picasso, Paris," plus free breakfast!

Our Arts Package includes:

Deluxe accommodations

2 vouchers to Virginia Museum of Fine Arts

Breakfast for 2

Enjoy a once-in-a-lifetime chance to view these works of art!

Offer only valid through May 15, book your stay now!

How does Marriott choose which rewards members get that email? Is it only for members within a certain region or who have traveled to the region?

I think something as simple as sending this information to its rewards members could net a lot of visitors for the museum and Richmond. Imagine if all Marriott Reward members got that email!

How does Marriott choose which rewards members get that email? Is it only for members within a certain region or who have traveled to the region?

I think something as simple as sending this information to its rewards members could net a lot of visitors for the museum and Richmond. Imagine if all Marriott Reward members got that email!

To be honest I'm not sure how they choose. Most of my travel is either down to Florida or out West so it's not based on where I travel. To be fair I get these emails all the time for places all over the US, but it's the first time I've received something for Richmond that I recall. I'd be willing to bet most Marriott Rewards members receive these emails for the Picasso exhibit.

Edited by dbull75

In addition to the local Marriotts, other Richmond hotels are offering package deals which include vouchers for the Picasso Exhibit. The Jefferson, for instance, has sold a goodly number.

I've been told by more than one source that walk-up admittance to VMFA is fairly simple on week-days. It's on weekends when lines are longest that pre-arrangements may be required.

Admission prices are $20, $16 for Seniors and free for Members. The cost for the five tickets I FINALLY was able to secure was $82.00. (Since I am a member, there was no charge for me.) I guess $2 was a handling fee, although I think I recall the lady saying that certain costs were being waived due to the difficulty I had placing the order.

Edited by burt

To be honest I'm not sure how they choose. Most of my travel is either down to Florida or out West so it's not based on where I travel. To be fair I get these emails all the time for places all over the US, but it's the first time I've received something for Richmond that I recall. I'd be willing to bet most Marriott Rewards members receive these emails for the Picasso exhibit.

As a Hilton member, I receive these types of emails for all over, so I imagine Marriott is the same. Disappointingly, I have yet to receive any similar deal from Hilton for Richmond.

I've learned that VMFA has added 10 more telephones and secured additional volunteers to man them. They're going to have to hustle since the exhibit must attract about 200,000 over the three-month run to break even. The first month brought in just short of 75,000.

I think the three months in Seattle prior to Richmond drew over 400,000.

Edited by burt

Richmond, at last, is earning its way to top-level respect in the world of arts and sports. And if VMFA loses a small portion of its $5 million investment in bringing the Picasso exhibit to town, think what it's doing for the city's image!

Last December, The Richmond Ballet's production of THE NUTCRACKER was rated by The New York Times as the best among 27 cities in America

Yesterday, the annual French Film Festival, the largest in the USA, wrapped its four-day run in Carytown after bringing 22,000 viewers into The Byrd Theatre.

And now the nation's attention is focused on the VCU Rams and their advancement to basketball's NCAA Final Four.

Richmond is arriving on the scene, folks.:thumbsup:

Edited by burt

• 1 month later...

The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts re-opened May 1, 2010 after massive renovation. In the year since, growth from practically every standpoint has been phenominal.

Check these figures compiled by Museum staff and posted by Roy Proctor in the Richmond Times Dispatch:

http://www2.timesdis...now-ar-1000650/

On another note, 200,000 visitors were expected to view the three-month long Picasso exhibit. With one week remaining, 189,000 people have come through the Museum's doors with the express purpose off viewing the Picasso art.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...sso-ar-1017412/

Edited by burt

• 2 weeks later...

While figures are being gathered at VMFA after Picasso, Museum officials are preparing for the next blockbuster.

FABERGE REVEALED opens July 9th for three months with a closing date set for October 2nd.

I bet a quarter it will draw a larger audience than Picasso. To begin with, over 500 pieces of the famed jeweler's work will be on display -- the largest exhibit of its kind in the USA. It will includes VMFA's private collection of several Faberge Russian Easter Eggs.

Secondly, the museum's marketing manager and his staff must have learned from the debacle of ticket sale procedures in the early days of the Picasso show.

And third, members and new visitors were generally entranced by the museum itself and will want to return.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/news/2011/may/17/tdmet02-vmfa-tallies-picasso-figures-ar-1043527/

• 1 month later...

According to a fund-raising release, Richmond's Virginia Museum of Fine Arts at The Boulevard and Grove Avenue has had over 700,000 visitors since its grand reopening last May. The Picasso exhibit accounted for about a third of that figure.

FABERGE REVEALED goes on display for three months beginning July 9th.

Edited by burt

• 5 weeks later...

The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts attracted 700,000 visitors in the fiscal year ended June 2011. That includes 230,000 who viewed the Picasso Exhibit on loan from Musee National Picasso in Paris.

Meanwhile, The Metropolitan Museum in New York announced today that 5.6 million entered the 5th Avenue building and the uptown Cloisters Museum during their 2011 fiscal year. The Met also hosted a Picasso show last summer collected from sources other than the Museum National Picasso. It, alone, drew over 700,000 visitors.

The New York Metropolitan Museum of Art is Number one in America; VMFA in Richmond is the tenth largest contemporary art museum in the nation.

From today's RTD:

http://hosted.ap.org...EMPLATE=DEFAULT

Edited by burt

• 3 months later...

While Egyptian mummies and other artifacts from the British Museum will begin attracting throngs to the interior this Saturday, Ed Slipek has enthusiastic words for the developing Sculpture Garden outside of The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts.

From the current Style Weekly:

http://www.styleweekly.com/richmond/pleasure-garden/Content?oid=1633572