Museum Developments in Richmond

wrldcoupe4

I'm not sure if this rendering of the First Freedom Center has been shared here yet, but here it is directly from the PFVS Architect's website:

ffce.jpg

According to the Richmond Parcel Mapper-Land Use Projects, "DRC 1/11/2012" is the last action taken with this project. I'm not up to par on what DRC stands for but the project is still actively under review as of 1/11/12.

Although I love modern and contemporary buildings masking the city skyline, I'm all for this project. Note the lovely modernistic sculpture at the end that causes the building to sort of curve at the far right. Now that is a nice touch. Anymore news on this? I'm glad these guys are pursuing plans for this. A Courtyard I'm hoping is much sought after in downtown. Bringing it here will add to the number of available hotel rooms to the people flocking here in 2015. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Dreams of a slavery mueum in Shockoe Bottom are still alive and well. Click the link in the story to see video.

From Richard Hayes at Shockoe News blog:

http://shockoenews.c...shockoe-bottom/

I'm so glad. A national slavery museum in RVA would generate more tourism and money to the city, and (as I've said for every other proposal :rolleyes: ) if completed by 2015, it would only be another interesting and cool thing for all those spectators to do when in RVA. Also, this dream is quite a compliment to the Shockoe Revitalization. Along with the Main St. Station train shed project, this would be like the flagship project as part of the Shockoe revitalization.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Valentine Richmond History Center has launched a $3M development fund. Altria's $375K grant has spurred other contributions bringing the total thus far to $2.3M.

The museum, in downtown's Court End neighborhood, is on East Clay between 10th and 11th Streets

one block west of The White House of The Confederacy and three blocks north of the State Capitol.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...ons-ar-2074571/

East Cary between 18th and 27th (Pear) Streets is a line of 10 warehouses that have been converted to upscale apartments -- that is, except for one old tobacco factory between 20th and 21st Streets.

The old brick structure in that block is The VIRGINIA HOLOCAUST MUSEUM which has deliberately been left unrestored. On a stretch of track in front of the building is a haunting old European rail car with 'Deutche Reichsbahn' imprinted on its side as a grim reminder of transportation to concentration camps during World War II.

The founder of the museum, Jay Ipson, was deposed by the Board of Directors last week for reasons which have not been made public.

Millions of dollars have flowed into the museum in recent years which now features tours, programs, lectures, films and other events. In 2008, then Governor Tim Kaine officiated at the opening of the only originally rebuilt Nuremberg Courtroom in America.

From Nathan Cushing at RVANews:

http://rvanews.com/n...jay-ipson/63120

PS: I'm going to try to post a photograph of the museum's exterior in the next posting below this one.

• 1 month later...

I drove by the Science Museum last night and the whole building was wrapped in color changing lights, each shining up the facade and uniformly changing colors every few seconds. It looked awesome! I'll try to see if I can snap a picture tonight. I hope these lights are permanent. What a difference it made on that section of Broad!

I drove by the Science Museum last night and the whole building was wrapped in color changing lights, each shining up the facade and uniformly changing colors every few seconds. It looked awesome! I'll try to see if I can snap a picture tonight. I hope these lights are permanent. What a difference it made on that section of Broad!

Wow, Tommy! I'd like to see that. I hope your pictures can capture the effect.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Richmond is lucky to have such enthusiastic financial support from its Fortune 500 companies.

Several of them (including an infusion of $300K from Altria) have helped The American Civil War Center at the Tredegar site on the riverfont achieve it fundraising campaign ahead of schedule. It has surpassed its goal of $8M by $200K.

Work will begin soon on an interpretive theater at the site.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...ahe-ar-2297731/

The Virginia Museum of Fne Arts is preparing for a major opening on October 20th. It is the Dale Chihuly Glass Exhibit which will be on display indoors as well as in the sculpture garden through February 10th.

http://www.chihuly.com/home.aspx

Whle the Dale Chihuly Glass Art exhibit opening today at VMFA is the big museum related news, there is also a new exhibition related to guitars now on display at The Science Museum of Virginia

From the RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...nia-ar-2294860/

• 6 months later...

I am happy to announce that construction fencing has been placed around the lot at Cary and 14th Streets for the First Freedom Center and adjoining Courtyard and Residence Inn hotels. Looking forward to seeing some physical progress on this development!

• Like 1

Yay!  Awesome news!  I was wondering when this project would get started.  This will be a great addition to the area AND it should look good going up.  I imagine that only a tower crane will be used to build the hotel due to there being a lack of space for anything else.

Agreed.  Don't hold me to this, but I believe delivery is somewhere in late 2014/early2015 (someone please correct me if I'm off). 

I would love to see Shamin Hotels go ahead and turnaround 700 E. Main and make it a hotel, it's such a great spot for one! 

Agreed.  Don't hold me to this, but I believe delivery is somewhere in late 2014/early2015 (someone please correct me if I'm off). 

I would love to see Shamin Hotels go ahead and turnaround 700 E. Main and make it a hotel, it's such a great spot for one! 

Definitely not expecting something too big out of this considering it's not the best looking building, but of course I can only hope a company like Shamin can rope in a Hyatt or Westin.

What I wouldn't mind seeing though is a Hilton, full-service like the one in Short Pump. That, if anything, is a little more realistic than luxury brands like Hyatt or Westin.

Definitely not expecting something too big out of this considering it's not the best looking building, but of course I can only hope a company like Shamin can rope in a Hyatt or Westin.

What I wouldn't mind seeing though is a Hilton, full-service like the one in Short Pump. That, if anything, is a little more realistic than luxury brands like Hyatt or Westin.

I have been hoping for the same, being a loyal Hilton member, but considering that the Miller and Rhoads building was originally aiming to be a full Hilton prior to the downgrade to Garden Inn, I am doubtful.  I believe a Hyatt or Westin to be more likely.

• 8 months later...