Museum Developments in Richmond

wrldcoupe4

The thought process behind the design is on the website   I believe it has to do with America  being built on the back of slaves and them “pushing” through the ceiling.   Ground is the ceiling, and the elevated portion is them punching through.  Something along those lines.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

The thought process behind the design is on the website   I believe it has to do with America  being built on the back of slaves and them “pushing” through the ceiling.   Ground is the ceiling, and the elevated portion is them punching through.  Something along those lines.

I like that concept too, it's deeper than my interpretation,  but in order to "see" that,  for me, I would have to read the understanding,  it just doesn't read like that.  I tend to see art depicted in the most simple straight forward form, and often, what I see is never the intent, there's always more to art & design, the history, the context,  etc. that helps to inform.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hike said:

I like that concept too, it's deeper than my interpretation,  but in order to "see" that,  for me, I would have to read the understanding,  it just doesn't read like that.  I tend to see art depicted in the most simple straight forward form, and often, what I see is never the intent, there's always more to art & design, the history, the context,  etc. that helps to inform.  

The beauty of all of this is, though: as we can see just in this conversation, there are multiple perspectives from which we can view this one thing (be it the museum itself or the historical events the museum will be designed to teach us about). There are many many themes involved here - and if the museum can open our minds and foster these kinds of good, deeper conversations that help us see multiple perspectives, then it's done its job and done it well.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

The beauty of all of this is, though: as we can see just in this conversation, there are multiple perspectives from which we can view this one thing (be it the museum itself or the historical events the museum will be designed to teach us about). There are many many themes involved here - and if the museum can open our minds and foster these kinds of good, deeper conversations that help us see multiple perspectives, then it's done its job and done it well.

I hope the museum happens and it's able to keep it's form.  Feeling like Richmond could use something important,  a place that would be the,  "you've got to go see this new museum and exhibit" and it could become a part of a Richmond experience.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

That's a good point. Who is spearheading this? Who is raising funds? 

There's a big list of participants here in the process to date https://www.lumpkinsjail.org/process/project-participants

Finding the funding answer isn't discussed that I can see,  from the website, fundraising is the next phase.

Also, not seeing a price tag anywhere or a goal but can imagine if enough momentum gets behind this, the state, federal and local, along with private donors, it may have a good chance.  

Edited by Hike
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
37 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

This is certainly fantastic news!! Glad to see the museum expanding further. How fortunate are we to have a true rare gem that other cities can only dream of having.

Agreed. I didn’t realize how famous the VMFA was until one day I was on a flight from Jacksonville, FL to Richmond (back when Allegiant was flying that route) and the couple sitting beside me was making the special trip up to see Richmond and the VMFA!  I’m ashamed to say it, but I’ve never been to the VMFA (cringe).  Art is really not my thing, but I’d still like to go especially since it’s free (geez, where have I been!?).  Anyway, this addition will probably only make it better.  I heard that the museum rivals that of the big art museums in NYC and Chicago. 

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Agreed. I didn’t realize how famous the VMFA was until on day I was on a flight from Jacksonville, FL to Richmond (back when Allegiant was flying that route) and the couple sitting beside me was making the special trip up to see Richmond and the VMFA!  I’m ashamed to say it, but I’ve never been to the VMFA (cringe).  Art is really not my thing, but I’d still like to go especially since it’s free (geez, where have I been!?).  Anyway, this addition will probably only make it better.  I heard that the museum rivals that of the big art museums in NYC and Chicago. 

VMFA is probably a top 15 museum in the US, certainly the best museum in the country relative to the size of it's home city.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Agreed. I didn’t realize how famous the VMFA was until on day I was on a flight from Jacksonville, FL to Richmond (back when Allegiant was flying that route) and the couple sitting beside me was making the special trip up to see Richmond and the VMFA!  I’m ashamed to say it, but I’ve never been to the VMFA (cringe).  Art is really not my thing, but I’d still like to go especially since it’s free (geez, where have I been!?).  Anyway, this addition will probably only make it better.  I heard that the museum rivals that of the big art museums in NYC and Chicago. 

You need to go ASAP. 
Have  you at least walked around the grounds?  Need evidence that we are all going to be priced out of Richmond?  Go to a happy hour* on Friday or walk the grounds on a sunny Saturday.  

The current show, Dirty South, is super cool.  So much of the collection is accessible to people with zero knowledge of or interest in art.  If you like history , geography and geo politics, there’s a lot to love there. 

btw, 5 floors?  Are some of those going to be underground?  Weird. 

*I cannot recommend this enough.  It’s downright Parisian.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

WOW!  Thanks for sharing RVA.  I didn't know the work at the Historical Society is this extensive.  The last time I was there, it reminded of an attic filled with dusty artifacts.  Looking forward to see the Great Hall.

• Like 1

Some rooms of the Virginia Historical Society have that dusty feel but the areas that have been renovated are very nicely done, the Story of Virginia (or whatever it is called)in particular  is world class.  If you haven’t been in the last 5 years or so, go check it out. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...