Museum Developments in Richmond

wrldcoupe4

• 3 weeks later...

I think the Whitehouse and Museum of the Confederacy are going to move.... this is the stupidest idea I've heard in a long time. These people are whiny babies. If the White House moves, it loses its place on the historic registry....not to mention the location which puts it in the context of its past. The TD is supposed to do an article on it tomorrow...

• 2 weeks later...

The Science Museum has just received and installed a replacement Kugel globe. The original one installed about a year or so ago weighed in at 29 tons and was carved from South African black granite. However, a crack around the equator area of the huge sculpture appeared requiring the Museum to turn off the jet of water that supported it and allowed it to rotate every 57 minutes.

A replacement (under the original warranty) of Tarn granite is now in place on its matching gray base.

The Kugel is an immense globe representing the earth, and 250 feet away on another base is a smaller kugel representing the moon. They are scaled at 1 foot to 1000 miles, and each is supported by a jet of water and rotates. They are touchable and kids have a grand time trying to push them around.

The 29 ton sculptured globe is recorded in the Guinness Bood of Records.

Walter Witschey, Director of The Science Museum of Virginia, contributed an excellent piece in the TD about the Museum and the $25Million annual impact it has on the Richmond economy.

It is hosting, thru tomorrow, 1400 delegates to the annual conference of the Association of Science-Technology Centers.

• 2 months later...

I like the new look, especially the glass facade which will allow life to flow from the building. I understand it will be illuminated after dark.

Question: There used to be two beautiful groves of Magnolia trees behind the old Battle Abbey (Va. Historical Society). Will the new parking garage for VMFA intrude into that space? Or, have the groves already been destroyed by construction at the Historical Society?

Edited by burt

Agreed.... VMFA will become one hell of a Museum...

btw - I think I may have seen you taking pictures some time ago. Maybe not, but I could have sworn it was you!

Hmmm maybe so, depends on how long ago it was. I haven't been out taking pictures for while now just because it's frustrating taking a good picture with a little 2MP camera that's seen better days. I'm close to buying a Rebel XT though. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Good Richmond.com article on the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts expansion...

Dust and 'Dozers

an excerpt:

The view from Boulevard will be greatly improved by a huge glass window, 40 feet tall and 70 feet wide, which will look out over the busy street, establishing a visual dialogue between passersby and the museum itself.

While Richmond is unarguably minor league in sports, the arts flourish. And upon completion of VMFA, the city will rank among the giants!

Architect Mather's exceedingly smart building will house a World-class collection and provide space for blockbuster exhibits attracting hundreds of thousands of visitors. It will all be completed by 2009, including a 4-acre sculpture garden.

Mathers design is "simple" rather than spectacular in order to blend with the neighborhood. Architectually, the area is an eclectic blend ranging from Mediterranean at the s/w corner of Grove and Boulevard; Queen Ann houses along Grove; the village style clabboard church on the Museum's grounds; The Benedictine collection and the "white House" style former Confederate retirement home along Shepard Street, and the semi-classic Battle Abbey to the north.

Roanoke's new art museum is daring and an enviable archictectural attraction for the southwest Virginia city, but a similar design would not be correct for The Boulevard. However, maybe someday, someone will build a challengingly designed Museum of Modern Art mid-town or downtown - perhaps on the block bounded by Broad, Henry, Grace and Belvidere. It could be a collaborative project with VCU.

Edited by burt

• 1 month later...

Terrific pictures of VMFA progress.

Maybe VMFA and The Carpenter Centre, both scheduled for completion in 2009, can arrange a joint Gala to celebrate Richmond's rise to prominence in the still and performing arts.

Just think! A truly World Class fine arts museum and a theatre with a stage large enough to mount a Metropolitan Opera production!

Makes me dizzy just contemplating it. Hope I'm still around in 2009! :)

• 1 month later...

Yesterday (Saturday, July 22nd), The Virginia Historical Society opened its brand new $16million dollar 4-story Reynolds Business History Center which increases the Museum's size by 25%. It includes exhibits, a 500-seat auditorium, classroom, storage space and offices.

The Virginia Historical Society's stunning museum is a classically designed ediface on The Boulevard at Kensington Avenue and is adjacent to The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. There is a tomb-like Confederate-related structure between the two museums.

I think most people would be surprised and very pleased with the exhibits at this fine museum.

Edited by burt

• 1 month later...

from the VMFA's website:

Shows what the expansion will look like when finished -

vmfa_facade_new_index_may15.jpg

With this building and its exceptional collection, VaMus will put Richmond on an exclusive Best-Museum list and elevate the city to World Class in at least one category - The Fine Arts!

I'm grateful that the kvetching about a performing arts center didn't focus on this important project as well. It too is a public/private endeavor.

Edited by burt

According to this week's Style, there are rumors that Wilder may uproot his planned National Slavery Museum from Fredericksburg and bring it to the place he originally wanted it: Richmond.... more specifically, on City owned land in Shockoe Bottom and perhaps including the adjacent Loving's property as well. However, Wilder had no comment by press time. I'll link tomorrow.

True or not, I think it would be a fantastic idea to have it in Richmond, and would be a welcome addition in my book!

Edited by wrldcoupe4

According to this week's Style, there are rumors that Wilder may uproot his planned National Slavery Museum from Fredericksburg and bring it to the place he originally wanted it: Richmond.... more specifically, on City owned land in Shockoe Bottom and perhaps including the adjacent Loving's property as well. However, Wilder had no comment by press time. I'll link tomorrow.

True or not, I think it would be a fantastic idea to have it in Richmond, and would be a welcome addition in my book!

Do you suppose that's why Mr. Wilder scotched the ballpark idea down there?