Museum Developments in Richmond

wrldcoupe4

There's no place in the Country that would be a better site for a National Slavery Museum than Richmond. Charleston has a similar one, but Richmond imported more slaves than any city and sold them at auction. Should not this horrendous deed be etched forever in the minds of Americans?

And Shockoe Bottom is the ideal place for an all-encompassing slavery museum. So, let Wilder eat crow. Abandon Fredericksburg and establish his museum where it should have been built in the first place. If it will require proffers from the city , so be it.

I agree, I just hope that its final design does not create some monolithic huge building that isolates itself from the surrounding neighborhood like most of the museums on the National Mall.

I would envision a campus style arrangement, perhaps with shaded walkways connecting exhibits, ibjust. What are your ideas?

This is a project I was hoping would happen if rumors are true. I love Fredericksburg, but it was terrible that we'd lose out to them from bickering. It didn't make sense. Have you seen the area the museum would be in Fredericksburg? It's 10x worse than Short Pump. But, I actually like Central Park though.

However, this wouldn't be good for my imaginary plan and buildings I was working on for here, but I would so bow to the National Slavery Museum in its rightful place not far from the new monument at 15th and Main. I would think architects would make the building fit with the surrounding architecture, maybe with a modern twist, some glass, a lot of brick, maybe Italianate nods, maybe some warehouse. I'd think the lower floors would fit the neighborhood while maybe there'd be a glass top terraces to the center as not to be seen from the street and kind of hidden from afar. You'd see it from the hills and highway though. I had wanted a columnnade of some sort with a building with elements acknowledging Richmond's colonial town past, something that is hugely missing now along with Greek Revival shops and houses from the early 1800s. The museum could spur more development and those who were so BUILD A STADIUM THERE would see that a stadium was not the end-all be-all to Shockoe Bottom.

From press sources, it seems the Slave Museum has only raised $50 Million toward its goal for the Fredericksburg site. Total cost is expected to exceed $200 Million. I think if it were relocated to Richmond more money would start pouring into the coffers.

I wouldn't want to be the one to break the news to the Fredericksburg City Council. :whistling:

What's strange is that, if this is really an "unequivocal rumor" as style puts is, why would they print the story?

It makes one wonder what Wilder said at the dinner...

Doesn't unequivocable" mean "not ambiguious"? In other words, I take it to mean it's passed the rumor stage and approaches fact.

This is slightly off topic, I suppose, but has everyone seen the daring design for the new Arts Museum in Roanoke? It's currently under construction and what amazes me is that it went forward, unlike some Richmond projects, with comparative ease.

Maybe McLaw could post a picture of the rendering and site.

Edited by burt

This is great news for a great museum!

Virginia Museum of Fine Arts exceeds fundraising goal

The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts asked for $150 million. It got nearly $172 million.

The museum, which is currently undergoing an extensive expansion, ended its most recent capital campaign with $171.8 million to be used for art acquisitions, operations, its endowment and the expansion.

In a statement, museum director Alex Nyerges said, "This was the most significant cultural fundraising campaign ever attempted in Virginia."

Edited by wrldcoupe4

VaMus (Va. Museum of Fine Arts) has exceeded its fund raising goal of $150 million and has topped out at $171.8 million according to a report in today's Times Dispatch.

VaMus (Va. Museum of Fine Arts) has exceeded its fund raising goal of $150 million and has topped out at $171.8 million according to a report in today's Times Dispatch.

Hahaha. You type faster than I do, Coupe. I guess I should delete this, but what the Hell! It's good news worth repeating.

Edited by burt

If you ever get around to checking Richmond out, you should stop by the VMFA when it's finished with its expansion! :)

I've forgotten. When is approximate completion date, Coupe?

It is going to be a stunning World Class Art Museum when it opens - not only for the architecture, but it has one of the finest collections in the Country.

I've forgotten. When is approximate completion date, Coupe?

It is going to be a stunning World Class Art Museum when it opens - not only for the architecture, but it has one of the finest collections in the Country.

Completion is scheduled for Fall of 2008.

Edited by Shakman

This is slightly off topic, I suppose, but has everyone seen the daring design for the new Arts Museum in Roanoke? It's currently under construction and what amazes me is that it went forward, unlike some Richmond projects, with comparative ease.

Maybe McLaw could post a picture of the rendering and site.

future_panoStreet.jpg

Sorry, I've been busy this weekend. Here's a link to the future museum's homepage. http://www.artmuseumroanoke.org/future/the_future.html

Edited by mclawsdrive

The new Civil War Center at Tredegar has exceeded its fund raising goal of $13.6 million. Contributions and pledges surpassed that amount, though today's TD story does not disclose the total.

Primarily centered around a large existing historic building on the Tredegar tract on the James near Brown's Island, the museum will open on October 7th - just in time to show itself off to thousands of National Folk Festival visitors.

Edited by burt

Apparently Mr. Wilder is back on track with his Fredericksburg dream. He is asking everyone to donate $8 toward construction of The National Slavery Museum on the banks of the Rappahannock River. The figure "8" turned sideways represents bondage. So far, about $50 million has been pledged which is enough to begin work on the project. The total price tag exceeds $200 million, according to earlier reports.

Bye bye to Bottom hopes of landing the museum.

Edited by burt

• 1 month later...

I covered a few Museums during my visit, but missed out on a Tuesday at VMFA because I didn't know it is closed on that day as well as on Mondays. It was difficult to get a view of adjoining construction because of tarps covering the chain link fences around the site.

The newly expanded Virginia Historical Society (still called Battle Abbey by some of us old timers) is very impressive. The new South Wing has an interesting Richmond exhibit and there is an attractive auditorium under it on the ground floor. The auditorium, however, has the strangest "backstage" I've ever seen. It's a low-ceiling room with midget sized doors cut thru the wall to the shallow podium. I can't imagine using the space for any purpose other than storage.

The Science Museum gets better every year and seems to have more hands-on exhibits than ever. I wanted to see an Imax film about Greece, but my timing was off and I saw a planetary display instead. Christmas trees were being assembled and decorated under the 100+ foot dome. I asked if it was true that an old trolly car takes people on a short loop ride behind the building. An unsure volunteer said that it is true, but not on rainy days (it was raining).

The new American Civil War Center (admission charged) at Tredega is excellent and offers filmed presentations as well as exhibits on all aspects of the war. Combined with the exceptional (free-admittance) National Park Service displays, Tredega is becoming a Mecca for C/W devotees. The Confederate Museum and the White House, both hemmed in by VCU Medical, should be moved to Tredega IMO.

The Citie of Henricus, not easy to find, is a continually expanding representation of the second English settlement shortly after Jamestown. The view from the promontory above the James is reason enough for a visit, and while there is a fee to see the exhibits, one can approach the park-like setting on the river at no cost. Check maps before setting out.

I did not get into The Valentine (has a new name, but you know what I mean), but I did walk through as much of Capital Square as was allowed. The new underground entrance on Bank Street has been adorned with a portico. I also tried to get into Great Granpa's house on Governor Street, but all three Morson's Row houses, though used as State Offices, were tightly locked.

Edited by burt