Richmond Monuments/Memorials/Historic Districts

vdogg

I know that Richmond is big on history and they have one of the biggest collections of historic areas and builidings in the state. I plan on doing a little research myself on certain areas of interest in Richmond and posting it here. In the meantime feel free to post any pictures, comments, or news relating to Richmonds historic districts in this thread.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Vdogg-

Here are some places to start if you are curious. Richmond has a massive amount of Historic neighborhoods and buildings.

Richmond Neighborhoods

Monuments and Memorials

Museums/Historic Attractions

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, thanks for the info. I didn't know there was so much :o . This thread may prove to be a more daunting task than i originally expected :lol: . I've definaltely got my work cut out on this one.

Wow, thanks for the info. I didn't know there was so much  :o . This thread may prove to be a more daunting task than i originally expected  :lol: .  I've definaltely got my work cut out on this one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This would also be an awesome site to have a look at Historic Richmond Foundation

You can find so much info and pictures there. I really love the look of Richmond's Old City Hall. Maybe you can post an image of it.

I've been in that old post office....definitely cool, especially if u go to the top of the tower; you can see for miles. Never been in the Old City Hall though. Love the Victorian Architecture though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are so right. Here is another pic that shows just that. Got to love the density too.

DSC01675.jpg

I've been in that old post office....definitely cool, especially if u go to the top of the tower; you can see for miles. Never been in the Old City Hall though. Love the Victorian Architecture though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think they must do tours of the interior but I'm not positive. Here's a nice shot of it though. Credit obviously goes to the guy who's name appears in the photo. I'd love to see it someday. Looks gorgeous.

w153.gif

Wow, I absolutely love this building! (old city Hall)

cityhall.gif

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is one beautiful building. I also like Richmond's Main St station. I hope Amtrak has more trains stop there. It's not just more convenient - it gives trains a proper downtown station to stop at. Staples Mill just looks like it's too far to be of much use for people heading to check out Richmond's attractions.

That is one beautiful building. I also like Richmond's Main St station. I hope Amtrak has more trains stop there. It's not just more convenient - it gives trains a proper downtown station to stop at. Staples Mill just looks like it's too far to be of much use for people heading to check out Richmond's attractions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Main st station is wonderful. There are tons of awesome historical buildings in Richmond like these. I hope to post the Jefferson Hotel at some point. The plan is to make the station downtown the major one for the region eventually once it becomes multimodal. The problem right now is the Acca Yard which clogs up the train traffic into and out of downtown. A bypass should be built to allow for higher speeds. Plans eventually call for reopening the main train shed at MSS and restoring it to its original I believe.

Here is a link to some info on the renovated and absolutely beautiful Main Street station:

Main Street Station

www.aia.org%20-%200618pw_mainfacade_b.jpg

Another cool historic building is the former Broad Street Station which is now the Science Museum of Virginia. Here is an image. I'll post more in the museum forum....

These images can all be found here with much thanks to Ryan Ramsey of RCW.

004scimues9.JPG

Well, I would list them all out here, But there are too many. However, RCW has a page of the most notiable ones. There are more, but the list doesn't contain them all. Here's the link with the monuments and photos of the monuments:

http://www.richmondcitywatch.com/monuments.php

** Special credit to Ryan Ramsey and Richmond City Watch for this page and photos **

I will mention that the following photo from RCW, is my favorite monument in Richmond...it's the Virginia War Memorial:

012virginia_war_night1.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is one beautiful picture. The contrast between the monument and the highrises in the background is perfect.

I really like this monument too, especially at night with the skyline in the background. I love the design- All along the glass panels are the names of Virginians that have sacrificed their lives for our freedoms. The placement of the monument overlooking the city is perfect.

Archived