Richmond Monuments/Memorials/Historic Districts

vdogg

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey vdogg how's the research on Richmond's historic districts coming? Did you find anything interesting?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lol, i've been so busy lately trying to reorder/organize the forum that i forgot all about this, thanks for the reminder. The truth of the matter is i started on this project, but then realized there was so much info (Richmond has a huge amount of historic structures/areas) that i had kinda put it on the back burner til i finished some other stuff and never got back to it. I will make haste on this in the next few days however and will have some info to post here shortly.

Lol, i've been so busy lately trying to reorder/organize the forum that i forgot all about this, thanks for the reminder. The truth of the matter is i started on this project, but then realized there was so much info (Richmond has a huge amount of historic structures/areas) that i had kinda put it on the back burner til i finished some other stuff and never got back to it. I will make haste on this in the next few days however and will have some info to post here shortly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

haha it's all good. I didn't know if you would need any help or advice. I can't remember if I mentioned it earlier, but the historicRichmond.com site has a great collection of images of historic structures in Richmond. I thumbed through it tonight and was amazed at how great the architecture was and how much of it there was. I'll also mention this site because you might find it interesting/helpful. Rarely Seen Richmond

There is a proposed 300ft monument to be build on an island on the james that will be a Regional Symbol (i.e. st. louis arch, eiffel tower, statue of liberty...).....absolutely no idea what it would look like though. Though I think they want to focus on either the James, Religious freedom, or some other aspect of Richmond's history.

There is a proposed 300ft monument to be build on an island on the james that will be a Regional Symbol (i.e. st. louis arch, eiffel tower, statue of liberty...).....absolutely no idea what it would look like though. Though I think they want to focus on either the James, Religious freedom, or some other aspect of Richmond's history.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The last I heard of this was when an announcement was made that there was not going to be any money available for this religious freedom symbol. I was thinking how unfortunate it was because Richmond could really use something cool like that, but I guess it's nothing more than just a dream now. I'll try to find a reference for this, but if not, I'm positive that this is the case. I just wish that it wasn't true. :(

The last I heard of this was when an announcement was made that there was not going to be any money available for this religious freedom symbol.  I was thinking how unfortunate it was because Richmond could really use something cool like that, but I guess it's nothing more than just a dream now.  I'll try to find a reference for this, but if not, I'm positive that this is the case.  I just wish that it wasn't true.  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here is one from today:

Region's progress on its goals cited

BY WILL JONES

TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

Thursday, April 21, 2005

The Richmond region should get a grade of at least "B" for its progress on goals to accomplish by 2010, said James W. Dunn, president of the Greater Richmond Chamber of Commerce....

The top five priorities were a regional transportation system, expansion of the Canal Walk, a new performing-arts center, high-speed rail and world-class public schools.

Those goals were followed by the expansion of Richmond International Airport, full implementation of the youth-literacy program called 3R (Richmond Region Reads), greater use of regional public policy, a regional growth strategy and a regional symbol, such as the Eiffel Tower in Paris and the Space Needle in Seattle.

Speaking to about a dozen people at a reception for Leadership Metro Richmond, Dunn said the Richmond area has made good or moderate strides on some of its goals but little or no progress on others.

Regional-transportation improvements include the completion of state Route 288 and state Route 895 and the reopening of Main Street Station, he said.

Dunn said an event will be scheduled this year to get community leaders to re-evaluate the goals for 2010 and to sharpen the focus for the next five years. In some cases, groups or individuals will need to step up to lead efforts on particular issues, he said.

"We really need to figure out who has the energy and see who's just burning to take it on."

Dunn said timing is critical for several projects, including the performing-arts center, because of the opportunity for tourism that exists in 2007 with the 400th anniversary of the settlement at Jamestown.

"From a marketing standpoint, we want them to have a good first impression," he said of first-time visitors to the region.

Of the top 10 goals, Dunn said the least progress has been made on regional public policy and a regional growth strategy. He said an attempt at a regional symbol was made, with a proposed 300-foot monument overlooking the James River that commemorates religious freedom. All told, 89 projects were identified as part of Vision 20/10, which was sponsored by the chamber and Greater Richmond Partnership.

"Not everything that you try works, and not everything works the first time," Dunn said. "The important thing is to have objectives written down and there to see whether we're keeping ourselves competitive."

Times-Dispatch

I brought it up again because judging by his comment, there is still potential for this to be a reality, though not by 2007 which was optimum....

I'm sorry, but I'm almost positive that I had read somewhere that the statue was not going to happen due to lack of funding. I knew that they were still going to build the center for religious freedom - that it would be delayed, but the statue, I could have sworn that I read that it was not going to happen anymore. The problem is that I can't seem to find where I read it. It still makes me wonder about the wording that you bolded that "an attempt was MADE", meaning it was made, but is not feasible right now? Really, I'm not trying to read into this too much...I really read it! Anyway, I'll keep looking. Until then, I'll retract what I said about the statue going to be built.

• 3 weeks later...

how about Agecroft Hall? It's a manor house that was built in Lancashire England in the late 15th century. It was moved to Richmond and rebuilt in Windsor Farms by Thomas C. Williams in 1925. You can see more about it here

AgecroftHalllg.JPG

The sunken garden:

garden_sunken.jpg

Elizabethan knot garden:

garden_knot.jpg

The Great Hall (The glass window of the hall was transported in tact from England)

house_greathall.jpg

house.jpg

Wow!  Thanks for sharing Coupe.  I didn't know these things about these buildings before.  Nice photos too!  Gee, do I ever long to be in Richmond again!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yea these places are some of Richmond's great historical hidden treasures. I've never been out to one, but I'd love to get a tour and check out the architecture. I'll be back in Richmond for the summer starting tuesday. can't wait to get out and take some pictures!

The Citie of Henricus:

The 1611 Citie of Henricus, Virginia's second successful English settlement, is now being recreated at Henricus Historical Park.

Experience the many beginnings that transpired at Henricus, including: the first private ownership of land; the development of the American system of free enterprise; the chartering of the first university; and the construction of the first hospital in the New World.

Pocahontas lived at Henricus for several years, where she converted to Christianity and was courted by John Rolfe.

Visitors witness history come alive as costumed interpreters tend gardens, cook, work at domestic and carpentry crafts and protect this important wilderness outpost of English life in the New World.

The 32-acre Henricus Historical Park includes a partially recreated settlement, including a watch tower, a small dwelling, gardens and a dwelling under construction. Recent additions to the Park include a Native American palisaded encampment with a longhouse and gardens.

Work on the 1611 site will continue through 2007.

oval3.gif

for more info

The Citie of Henricus:

The 1611 Citie of Henricus, Virginia's second successful English settlement, is now being recreated at Henricus Historical Park.

Experience the many beginnings that transpired at Henricus, including: the first private ownership of land; the development of the American system of free enterprise; the chartering of the first university; and the construction of the first hospital in the New World.

Pocahontas lived at Henricus for several years, where she converted to Christianity and was courted by John Rolfe.

Visitors witness history come alive as costumed interpreters tend gardens, cook, work at domestic and carpentry crafts and protect this important wilderness outpost of English life in the New World.

The 32-acre Henricus Historical Park includes a partially recreated settlement, including a watch tower, a small dwelling, gardens and a dwelling under    construction. Recent additions to the Park include a Native American palisaded encampment with a longhouse and gardens.

Work on the 1611 site will continue through 2007.

oval3.gif

for more info

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I understand that after filming was recently completed on THE NEW WORLD which was shot in the Richmond/Williamsburg area, set pieces that were constructed along the Chickahominy River were dismantled and moved to Citie of Henricus.

:lol: Wow Coupe. I think you already took care of that historic richmond project for me. I think i'll leave this one to you. *shrinks into background* :D . Good job, very comprehensive. I think the History of our region (Richmond, HR, etc.) is what sets us apart from other, glossier, (shall remain nameless cause i don't want a flame war :lol: )

cities to the south.

:lol: Wow Coupe. I think you already took care of that historic richmond project for me. I think i'll leave this one to you. *shrinks into background*  :D . Good job, very comprehensive. I think the History of our region (Richmond, HR, etc.) is what sets us apart from other, glossier, (shall remain nameless cause i don't want a flame war  :lol: )

cities to the south.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hahaha yea I hear you. Thing is, I've/We've barely scratched the surface. I know Burt can add twice as much as I could think of doing.

• 4 weeks later...

Well we can tally up another one for the area:

"Several Virginia locations, including the former financial center of Richmond, were named to the National Register of Historic Places, the Virginia Department of Historic Resources announced yesterday.

The Main Street Banking Historic District in Richmond, on East Main Street between 7th and Governor streets, is where Virginia's financial institutions were first established in the early 1800s. Most of the original buildings burned in the Evacuation Fire of April 1865 but were rebuilt along Main Street........."

whole article

Good for Main Street!

If the White House of the Confederacy is moved, I read that it will lose its National Historic designation. State Senator Lambert, and correct me if I'm wrong, wants to move it to a site behind the Science Museum and COMBINE IT WITH THE NATIONAL SLAVERY MUSEUM. Can I have read that correctly? Isn't that the museum Wilder has pledged to build in Fredericksburg?

Wow thats a fantastically horrible idea considering the national slavery museum will be in Fredericksburg, maybe even overlooking the rappahannock river

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, rumors DO fly. I even read that one of the reasons Wilder wants the Thalhimer block back is so that the Slavery Museum can go there, though Wilder unequivacally insisted that the museum will stay where it is!

interesting, I've heard it is having trouble raising money in Fredericksburg..I always though Richmond would have been a better destination. Somewhere near Tredegar would've been nice. Speaking of that, Belle Isle was a major Confederate POW camp (though Andersonville is spoken of more). It would be great to have a building with exhibits or even some outdoor stuff besides simply signs in the ground say this happened here and that happened there.

• 5 weeks later...

Richmond's A.P. Hill monument, at the intersection of Laburnum and Hermitage, will begin restoration work on July 18.

The A. P. Hill Monument, designed by Richmond architect William Ludlow Sheppard, was unveiled in 1892. It was part of entrepreneur and philanthropist Lewis Ginter's development of the Ginter Park neighborhood. Hill's remains are actually buried beneath the monument.

link

hill_mon.jpg

Archived