Richmond Monuments/Memorials/Historic Districts

vdogg

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are so many of these around the city, I thought I'd start a new thread for them....

First off is one of my favorites, The Carillon. It is Virginia's 226 foot WWI memorial built in 1932.  This image is from Richmond City Watch and can be found here: RCW Carillon

010carillion2.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did anybody but me see pictures of this great spire when a flood (Isobel, maybe) filled the repressed area in front? It was like a reflecting pool, which is how it was originally designed. :unsure:

I did see it also , and thinking about it, it probably would look pretty cool. I think I'm intent on taking a survey of Richmond's monuments and memorials. I'm off tomorrow so if the weather is cooperating, I might begin to do it. If yall could help me compile a list, it would be great!

here's a start:

Monument Avenue:

-Stuart Monument

-Lee Monument

-Matthew Maury Monument

-Jefferson Davis Monument

-Arthur Ashe Monument

Canal Walk:

George Washington Canal Monument

Christopher Newport Monument

Byrd Park:

Christopher Columbus Monument

The Carillon- WWI Monument

Soldier's and Sailors Monument

A.P. Hill Monument

Tad and Lincoln

Virginia War Memorial

Washington Monument

Bill Bojangles Robinson Statue

Confederate Memorial (Hollywood Cemetery)

ok that's all I've got for now. I know there are more though. Thanks....

on the canal (my favorite down there) there is the Boxcar Willie Brown (sorry Mr. Brown if I got your name wrong).

also, the monument to the mules and horses of the civil war is an amazing one (historic society). There is also one in the Fan at Harrison and Park and one at Gramby and Park, don't know the names of thoses...

on the canal (my favorite down there) there is the Boxcar Willie Brown (sorry Mr. Brown if I got your name wrong).

also, the monument to the mules and horses of the civil war is an amazing one (historic society).  There is also one in the Fan at Harrison and Park and one at Gramby and Park, don't know the names of thoses...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Willie Brown, until recently, was Mayor of San Francisco :lol:

And Boxcar Willie is a country singer... must be Willie "Boxcar" Brown.

He was a slave that shipped himself, in a wooden box, via rail to Philadelphia. Its a simple monument but more personal and w/ a more interesting story than most in the area, IMO...

Can the fountain at the canal (end of 7th Street) be considered a monument? It is dedicated to the river. I'd say yes....

And Boxcar Willie is a country singer... must be Willie "Boxcar" Brown.

He was a slave that shipped himself, in a wooden box, via rail to Philadelphia.  Its a simple monument but more personal and w/ a more interesting story than most in the area, IMO...

Can the fountain at the canal (end of 7th Street) be considered a monument?  It is dedicated to the river.  I'd say yes....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes for fountains (including the one in Shockoe Plaza at Martin Agency) and that beauty in Kanawa Plaza. Just wish someone would be named by the mayor to turn on the water flow on a regular basis at ALL the fountains. And while he/she is at it, run up some banners on every empty flag pole in the city. :lol:

• 1 month later...

well looks like city council approved the new Springhill Historic District in Manchester :)

email from Historic Richmond foundation:

"The Historic Richmond Foundation is pleased to announce that, despite strong opposition from a local developer and one of the leading land use attorneys in the city, last night City Council voted to establish the first old and historic district south of the river. Springhill, one of the first Street Car sub-divisions, has a large variety of architectural styles including Italianate, Victorian, Arts & Crafts, and 1950s cottages. The oldest remaining house is circa 1850.

Historic Richmond Foundation's long history of promoting and helping to establish old and historic districts in the city allowed us to be of assistance to the Springhill Neighborhood Association. The Foundation advised them on the city ordinances governing old and historic districts, provided technical support and legal advice and spoke in support of the district at all hearings. Historic Richmond Foundation was a resource for demystifying the complicated and convoluted process of securing an old and historic designation.

The boundaries for the Springhill Old & Historic District were originally Canoe Park to the West, Riverside Drive to the North, Corwardin Avenue to the East, and Semmes Avenue to the South; however, they were modified to exclude the businesses on Semmes and Corwardin and River Towers and their adjacent parking lot."

i think council is still including the lots into the historic district... however, the restrictions on those specified lots are supposed to much lighter i think

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Those sites are perfect for high-rise and do not intrude on the 2-block historic area, which, incidentally, is pretty charming. I'm glad that it is being saved.

• 4 weeks later...

there have been a lot of discussions at the State Capitol this week on the designs for a new Civil Rights Monument at the Capitol which should be erected in 2007..... Not sure if they have decided on a final design though.

I think a decision has been made and the design is unlike anything else in Capitol Square. It is to be located, I believe, southeast of the Executive Mansion.

fit it?

No. It was on Central Time, so I scrolled up to Eastern, but it's still 2 hrs behind. For instance your message reads 4:05 amd it's 6:14 as I type this. Beats the hell of of me, but I keep playing around with My Controls. Thanks anyway. What's odd is that it's always been one hour off, but about 2 days ago, it lost another hour, then recovered an hour earlier today, then lost it again. Thanks anyway.

Archived