Richmond Monuments/Memorials/Historic Districts

vdogg

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I look forward to seeing what the new civil rights memorial will look like that will be built in Capitol Square

It has been described elsewhere in this thread. I don't understand, in this new world of computers and robots why we can't just pull up a subject whenever we please. Do you? :silly:

I suppose only in my own mind is THE BYRD THEATRE a monument. It is one of, at most, three major movie palaces left in the US of A that still is devoted to showing films in a one-screen configuration. AND, on weekends, has an expert performer manipulating the full Wurlitzer organ which rises majestically in the orchestra pit. Once in a while (though it lacks proper dressing room facilities), the screen can be "flown" into the grid and stage performances (limited) can be presented.

It's a gem of the first order!!!

Check it out on Flex's website http://www.taxigear.com

On the left, it's the first item to which you should scroll. What a treat!!!

Jefferson Hotel maintains its 5-star status

"Jefferson again is Mobil 5-star hotel

Local property and Inn at Little Washington are Va.'s two entries on list of 32

For the sixth consecutive year, The Jefferson Hotel in downtown Richmond has been named among the best hotels in North America by one influential travel guide.

The 2006 edition of the Mobil Travel Guide gives The Jefferson a five-star rating, the highest ranking for lodging. Five stars "indicates that a dining or lodging experience is one of the best in the country," said Shane O'Flaherty, vice president of quality assurance for the travel guide.

One other hotel in Virginia, the Inn at Little Washington, got a five-star rating, meaning Virginia has two of only 32 lodgings in North America with five stars...........

"This award is an honor for both the hotel and the city of Richmond," Joseph Longo, The Jefferson's general manager, said in a statement yesterday. "It is a testament to the hard work of our employees, who have helped The Jefferson become one of the finest hotels in the world."..............

The Jefferson also holds a coveted five-diamond award from the AAA, which also ranks hotels in its annual travel guide. The automobile group is scheduled to announce its five-diamond winners for 2006 tomorrow."

definitely something Richmonders should be proud about!

Damn! You beat me to a story again, coupe. Though I would have put it in Richmond Business. The Jefferson certainly is a "monument" to Richmonders, but its winning Mobil's 5-star rating for the 6th year seems more a business story to me.

Anyway, it's great not only for the City, but for all of North America.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad they are doing this....

ACORN threatens VCU, State with lawsuit

"After a protracted battle to preserve six historic buildings downtown, the Alliance to Conserve Old Richmond Neighborhoods is threatening to file a lawsuit against the state, Virginia Commonwealth University and the Museum of the Confederacy to keep the buildings from being demolished or removed. ACORN has sent a draft of the suit, which has yet to be filed, to the three potential defendants, says Jennie Dotts, the group

So many cities, including Norfolk, have bulldozed buildings that were treasures. I am not familiar with Richmond's past on this front but I hope going forward as many as possible can be preserved. In DC I have seen construction going on while still preserving the facade which helps to retain character.

Richmond has torn down some of its historical treasures in the past, but not nearly as many as some cities. Today, I think there is a strong sense of preservation in Richmond. Recently proposed demolition of historic buildings (such as those in the article I linked to) have been met with very stiff resistance.

I hope as we grow as a city, we can preserve as much of our history as possible while still moving forward at a healthy pace.

Richmond has torn down some of its historical treasures in the past, but not nearly as many as some cities. Today, I think there is a strong sense of preservation in Richmond. Recently proposed demolition of historic buildings (such as those in the article I linked to) have been met with very stiff resistance.

I hope as we grow as a city, we can preserve as much of our history as possible while still moving forward at a healthy pace.

Coupe, can you quickly sort thru your new pics and post the one of the Theatre Row Building to illustrate to Guy how some facades are being saved in Richmond?

The website for the Virginia Civil Rights Memorial is up and running... The monument will be placed somewhere in Capitol Square.

There are a couple very rough sketches for the memorial too...

VA Civil Rights Memorial

Yes, Morgan posted the link on RCW. I like the proposed statue(s). The figures sort of come out in three dimension from the concrete block. I guess it's one monument, with men on one side and women on the other, don't you?

Archived