Richmond Monuments/Memorials/Historic Districts

vdogg

a listing of Richmond's Historic Districts from the Historic Richmond Foundation:

"Not all of our "historic" districts are recognized on the national, state and city level. A national and state historic designation makes buildings eligible for tax credits, but it does not protect them from being demolished. Only a district that is recognized as a City of Richmond historic district ensures that the building will be protected and that any changes or alterations to the historic fabric will be reviewed. It's important to know the difference if we are to effectively preserve our historic fabric."

Richmond's vast array of architectural diversity includes the following styles plus others:

Colonial

Romanesque Revival

Federal

Second Empire

Neo-Classical

Queen Anne-Eastlake

Greek Revival

Beaux Arts-Neo

Classical Revival

Italianate

Georgian Revival

Gothic Revival

Moderne and Art Deco

Egyptian Revival

Follow the link for in depth detail on each of Richmond's historic districts (this excludes the new Springhill historic district)

HRF: Richmond's Historic Districts

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A listing of the City's historic districts:

* The Boulevard District

* West of the Boulevard aka Museum District

* Broad Street District

* Brooklyn Park District

* The Canal

* Capitol Square

* Carver Industrial & Residential District

* Chimborazo

* Court End area

* The Fan District

* Franklin Street District

* West Grace Street District

* North Side Districts

--- o Barton Heights District

--- o Battery Park District

--- o Ginter Park

--- o Ginter Park Terrace

--- o Hermitage Road

--- o Highland Park

--- o Bellevue

--- o Sherwood Park

--- o Laburnam Park

* Hollywood Cemetery

* Jackson Ward

* Monroe Ward

* Monument Avenue District

* Monuments

* Oregon Hill

* Pump House/Three Mile Lock Park

* St. John's Church District (Church Hill)

* Church Hill North District

* Shockoe Slip District

* Shockoe Valley District

* Southside Districts

--- o Manchester Historic District

--- o Woodland Heights

--- o Forest Hill Park

* Tobacco Row

So many cities, including Norfolk, have bulldozed buildings that were treasures. I am not familiar with Richmond's past on this front but I hope going forward as many as possible can be preserved. In DC I have seen construction going on while still preserving the facade which helps to retain character.

Guy, I wish you'd rearrange your little tag at the bottom to read: VISIT OUR FORUMS - RICHMOND and DC/BALTIMORE. Our city should get top billing! :)

• 1 month later...

By Fall, Richmond should have another monument: The City's Reconciliation Monument at 15th and Main St, part of the city's Slave Trail.

It is being donated by the city of Liverpool....

This may be what it looks like:

signerAronWalkerofNewHeysCompandsculptorStephenBro.jpg

I'm also looking forward to seeing the final design of the Virginia Civil Rights Monument.

Where do you suppose it will be? Surely not in a roundabout at that intersection!? I think the foundation of Lumpkin's Jailhouse is nearby, like in the State parking area just west of MSS, so maybe that will be the site.

Isn't 15th street being realigned at its junction with east Main?

haha I hope there won't be a roundabout there. Actually, I think it will on the North side of Main St, just east of the new state parking deck:

Bird's Eye View

It will be on the route of the Slave Trail, which starts at Ancarrows Landing, crosses the river via the Mayo Bridge, and ends up at the site of Lumpkin's Jail. Speaking of which, I believe an Archaeological dig is supposed to begin at some point soon at the site of Lumpkin's Jail.

I don't like the realignment. I don't know what's going to happen to the other part of 15th. I already hate that they blocked off Heritage at Broad. But I thought it was going to go on Franklin near the site. By the way your #1 is in the path of the gravel that marks the relocated street. We certainly love destroying our grid. And speaking of that, who's bright idea was it to realign 14th St?!

• 2 weeks later...

Help save the Old Murphy Hotel from the state's Demolition by neglect and attempts to tear down this Richmond landmark!

from an HRF email:

STATEMENT ON 8TH AND 9th STREET OFFICE BUILDINGS [from the Historic Richmond Foundation]

To: Honorable Members of the General Assembly, Commonwealth of Virginia

Historic Richmond, the oldest and largest organization concerned with the preservation of important historic assets in the metropolitan Richmond area, congratulates the General Assembly on its recommendation to preserve the 9th Street State Office Building. We were pleased to invest in an architectural analysis of restoration costs, which showed that rehabilitation of the former Richmond Hotel is a sound business investment. We urge passage of the allocation included in the 2006-2007 budget.

We deplore the recommendation to demolish and replace the 8Th Street Office Building, the former Murphy Hotel. Buildings can only survive with proper care, and the General Assemblys long-term failure to provide adequate maintenance funding for this structure has led to a case of partial demolition by neglect. The Commonwealths elected officials must immediately acknowledge their collective responsibility to provide adequate stewardship for its properties in the future.

The Commonwealth should not assume that its current ownership of the 8th Street Office Building gives it a right to rush to destroy an irreplaceable asset. Historic Richmond urges the Commonwealth to conduct open discussions in the community to determine if Mayor Douglas Wilders proposal to create an Urban Law Center there is viable, and, if it is, to examine an alternate site for additional state office/parking space.

If there is no other alternative to save the structure, then Historic Richmond urges the Commonwealth to preserve the historic fa

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That looks neat. I gues it will be a small park between the new parking deck and a realligned 15th street.

Wasn't the monument itself sculpted in Liverpool? I gather BAM designed the park setting.

A fountain would have enhanced it, IMO - except that in Richmond, fountains rarely flow!

• 4 weeks later...

I guess this can fit under the historic districts aspect of this thread....

Bacon's Rebellion Blog: Virginia is for Preservationists

I thought this was particularly interesting:

The City of Richmond is second only to St. Louis, Missouri, of all cities in the nation for the number of rehabilitation tax projects using federal tax credits during the past five years....Kaine, a former Richmond mayor, cited the historic tax credits and Richmond's tax abatement program for restored properties as an engine in the city's resurgence.

Virginia ranks 2nd only behind Missouri among the 50 states in the use of federal tax incentives to rehabilitate historic buildings....

• 7 months later...

Ground will be broken today on the city's Reconciliation Monument at 15th and Main.

AT LAST!!! Wonder if they'll find any old canon balls there?

So, at last work is beginning on it and Cathedral Walk. I wish they'd hurry up and continue Cathedral Walk from Cary Street to Dock. Wonder why that extension is not budgeted?

Archived